Track Day Prep - Side Impact Protection/etc

sf4018- For sure fire safety is important. I have an 8 gallon ATL fuel cell and have it mounted over the axle a fair bit forward of where Lotus originally had the fuel tank, the idea being that it allows more crush space. I have a hand held Halon extinguisher  with quick release on the passenger floor, within reach. I can also reach the kill switch with my 5 point harness tight. The fire sticks you mention are interesting. As a chemist I was curious how they work. Sounds like it will deposit potassium oxide around the area. With humidity, this will then turn to potassium hydroxide which is pretty corrosive, or maybe potassium carbonate if some CO2 is around. But if they put out the fire, that is great and maybe the residue is not that big a deal. Just need to have them tucked away so they do not go flying out at the time you need them most. i think I will get one. Thanks

Does anyone know if Caterhams come with those inertia switches that cut off electric fuel pumps in a bad crash? I think most race cars use them now.

Sorry to dwell on the safety subject but when I get tailgated by a big SUV it gets me thinking.

3 hours ago, Christopher smith said:

Does anyone know if Caterhams come with those inertia switches that cut off electric fuel pumps in a bad crash? I think most race cars use them now.

Sorry to dwell on the safety subject but when I get tailgated by a big SUV it gets me thinking.

My 2019 310 has an inertia switch and I'm pretty sure they've been standard for a while.  Probably on all the fuel injected motors.

22 hours ago, Christopher smith said:

sf4018- For sure fire safety is important. I have an 8 gallon ATL fuel cell and have it mounted over the axle a fair bit forward of where Lotus originally had the fuel tank, the idea being that it allows more crush space. I have a hand held Halon extinguisher  with quick release on the passenger floor, within reach. I can also reach the kill switch with my 5 point harness tight. The fire sticks you mention are interesting. As a chemist I was curious how they work. Sounds like it will deposit potassium oxide around the area. With humidity, this will then turn to potassium hydroxide which is pretty corrosive, or maybe potassium carbonate if some CO2 is around. But if they put out the fire, that is great and maybe the residue is not that big a deal. Just need to have them tucked away so they do not go flying out at the time you need them most. i think I will get one. Thanks

I am curious about your fuel cell. Would you please post some pictures? 

CarlB-

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately I never photographed that area of the car during construction and now it would take quite a bit to take the panels off that cover it up. It is a standard 8 gallon ATL sports cell and Summit Racing has a picture and now a price about 50% higher than back then. Not sure how hard a retrofit would be with body panels in place making welding very tricky. Possibly a couple of supports could be fabricated to hold one up without welding. I think someone must make a custom cell that replaces the standard Lotus ones that fit behind the axle.