NYST 10/8

CBuff

I made it up to NYST for Saturday. Ran into some seven folks who were great to touch base with. Beautiful fall colors and an interesting track. Trying to be patient waiting on my build. 

IMG_0363 2.jpg

IMG_0317.jpeg

IMG_0323.jpeg

IMG_0328.jpeg

IMG_0368.jpeg

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

IMG_0316.jpeg

IMG_0341.jpeg

• Like 2

I have very little frame of reference regarding tracks as I have only been to NJMP Thunderbolt and now NYST. Certainly tighter and slower than NJMP. But for me very enjoyable. It was a nice time of year to be up in that part of the woods with the leaves changing. I look forward to trying out all the options in the area and then eventually I am sure I will have preferences.

As always the 7s guy on hand were very generous with their time to talk about the cars and everything else. 

I am based in New York City, so made the drive up on Friday night and stayed by Hunter Ski Mountain and returned on Saturday. Which was a decent amount of travel. I continue to think about how I would get to future track days with the 7 - whenever it actually arrives (drive vs trailer). The hunt for insights in all aspects of this car has been enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, CBuff said:

I have very little frame of reference regarding tracks as I have only been to NJMP Thunderbolt and now NYST. Certainly tighter and slower than NJMP. But for me very enjoyable. It was a nice time of year to be up in that part of the woods with the leaves changing. I look forward to trying out all the options in the area and then eventually I am sure I will have preferences.

As always the 7s guy on hand were very generous with their time to talk about the cars and everything else. 

I am based in New York City, so made the drive up on Friday night and stayed by Hunter Ski Mountain and returned on Saturday. Which was a decent amount of travel. I continue to think about how I would get to future track days with the 7 - whenever it actually arrives (drive vs trailer). The hunt for insights in all aspects of this car has been enjoyable. 

That's most of my car track experience as a driver as well - NJMP/NYST. I've been a passenger at Watkins and Limerock. Personally I won't seek to go to NYST by car for solo fun, but I'll certainly tag along socially if somebody wants to do and is looking for friends to have there that day. You're right however, it's almost peak time to hit that neck of the woods for sight seeing.

You being in the city certainly doesn't allow for easy get togethers but you're close enough that I'm sure I'll see you at some event when our paths cross.

In my personal experience, granted the car is older and has more gremlins but just one major breakdown hours away from home and a not so pleasant drive down to NJMP solidified my want to invest in a trailer and I couldn't be happier having that as a setup. Granted your trailer storage is likely much more limited being in the city but you can also store the car in the trailer when/if needed which is a plus if enclosed. 

17 minutes ago, Vovchandr said:

That's most of my car track experience as a driver as well - NJMP/NYST. I've been a passenger at Watkins and Limerock. Personally I won't seek to go to NYST by car for solo fun, but I'll certainly tag along socially if somebody wants to do and is looking for friends to have there that day. You're right however, it's almost peak time to hit that neck of the woods for sight seeing.

You being in the city certainly doesn't allow for easy get togethers but you're close enough that I'm sure I'll see you at some event when our paths cross.

In my personal experience, granted the car is older and has more gremlins but just one major breakdown hours away from home and a not so pleasant drive down to NJMP solidified my want to invest in a trailer and I couldn't be happier having that as a setup. Granted your trailer storage is likely much more limited being in the city but you can also store the car in the trailer when/if needed which is a plus if enclosed. 

@VovchandrI have been researching the trailer route (mainly to keep me from staring at my watch/calendar on when the 7 will arrive). Seem to be two routes, the light single axle open (Like an Aluma 6812 tilt or similar). Or a twin axle enclosed which yes could serve as a storage unit for the car and extras. I mentioned to my better half about getting a stealth hitch on her SUV to accomplish this which was not met with a flood of enthusiasm. Otherwise I would have to tow with my 3 series BMW which doesnt sound like a great idea  and would likely relegate me to the open single axle trailer. Also toyed with an enclosed snow mobile type setup that would, in theory, be light enough to tow with my car (2500 - 3500 Lbs limit). 

https://www.alumaklm.com/6810h-6812h-tilt

https://trailers123.com/Trailers/6-x-14-tandem-axle-enclosed-cargo-trailer/

https://nhtrailers.com/snowmobile-trailers/2-place-aluminum-snowmobile-trailer/

This is all dependent on my storage options down the road (Garage, home garage out of the city, storage facility etc). All those details need to be flushed out in the next year or whenever the car will arrive. So trying not to torture myself until I have more information/options on housing this thing. 

In the meantime I will be checking out other tracks in the north east in my daily driver. I am sure our paths will cross at some point. Look forward to meeting more of you all. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CBuff said:

@VovchandrI have been researching the trailer route (mainly to keep me from staring at my watch/calendar on when the 7 will arrive). Seem to be two routes, the light single axle open (Like an Aluma 6812 tilt or similar). Or a twin axle enclosed which yes could serve as a storage unit for the car and extras. I mentioned to my better half about getting a stealth hitch on her SUV to accomplish this which was not met with a flood of enthusiasm. Otherwise I would have to tow with my 3 series BMW which doesnt sound like a great idea  and would likely relegate me to the open single axle trailer. Also toyed with an enclosed snow mobile type setup that would, in theory, be light enough to tow with my car (2500 - 3500 Lbs limit). 

https://www.alumaklm.com/6810h-6812h-tilt

https://trailers123.com/Trailers/6-x-14-tandem-axle-enclosed-cargo-trailer/

https://nhtrailers.com/snowmobile-trailers/2-place-aluminum-snowmobile-trailer/

This is all dependent on my storage options down the road (Garage, home garage out of the city, storage facility etc). All those details need to be flushed out in the next year or whenever the car will arrive. So trying not to torture myself until I have more information/options on housing this thing. 

In the meantime I will be checking out other tracks in the north east in my daily driver. I am sure our paths will cross at some point. Look forward to meeting more of you all. 

Yeah it's a big decision with lots of +/-'s. 

In the end I've decided that if I'm going to make such a major investment into helping transport the car I might as well get the most use out of it. Enclosed has a similar footprint to most open, unless you go real small ultalite. On an open you still need to protect our open top car from the elements in transport and debris and your paint can get damaged once you cover it but have it lose. 

On the other side enclosed allows you to protect it from the elements, have all your equipment inside safe and the car safe inside at night, you can utilize it for moving and storage in meantime, you can crash in it for the night if needed and more. It's a higher price but you get a lot more out of it. 

On the other side of the spectrum I still don't have a car I can to it with that I own. I've been borrowing vehicles to get by once a year for the tow here and there. Trying to setup my Volvo XC70 to tow this behemoth, and in theory it could/should but I haven't done the practice. Also has a similar official tow limit of 3500 or so, and enclosed being 1800lbs (aluminum) and car being ~1200 lbs I could theoretically do it at the limit. 

By the time the tow car is being all setup we will likely end up purchasing a family SUV next year that will be able to tow it regardless without an issue. 

I also toyed with the idea of an all in one tow vehicle like this.  I think I could get a 420sv in there. You can get a used one for 12-15k.  I am sure my wife would love that parked in our driveway (if I ever end up with a driveway ). 

image.jpeg.eefc901002c71b93dbc32c2b9640a54f.jpeg

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, CBuff said:

I also toyed with the idea of an all in one tow vehicle like this.  I think I could get a 420sv in there. You can get a used one for 12-15k.  I am sure my wife would love that parked in our driveway (if I ever end up with a driveway ). 

image.jpeg.eefc901002c71b93dbc32c2b9640a54f.jpeg

Go Ahead Yes GIF

I support this message! 

Rent it in meantime and get your money back!

CBuff - It was great meeting you on Saturday and talking Caterhams, track days, etc. Thanks for taking those photos, looking forward to having you join us on track once your Caterham is done!

Some observations from my first time at NYST:

1: It was grey, windy, cold, with a little drizzle early. What happened to the sun that was predicted?? Thank goodness I was only cold in the paddock, and was fine on track even with the aeroscreen.

2: The track was a lot of fun but a little intimidating for the first time there. Going up 'wheelie hill' to turn 7 was a little sketchy, it wasn't until one of the afternoon sessions that I didn't lift a little at the top of the hill. Not knowing what was waiting for me on the other side was concerning being the smallest car on track.

3: I wish they had braking zone markers on the main straight into turn 1. Coming up the hill, it was hard for me to see where the corner was. Maybe I'd get use to it once I did more laps there, but I just wasn't braking late enough even later in the day.

4: Overall, it wasn't my favorite track, but it still had lot's of fun sections and I had a good day. I think it'd be more fun the next time I go there when it's a little warmer.

5: The paddock was decent size overall but narrow in areas that made it crowded for cars and probably more amenable to bikes. Had a couple cars go off during the morning sessions, with the recovery of one of the cars taking a fair amount of time resulting in about 2-1/2 of the 20-minute sessions being lost.

6:  Because of the cold track I put my stock 14" wheels/tires on to get more experience on a cold/slick track. What I found was that the Caterham was a very forgiving car to play around with, with very progressive breakaway on the harder tires. I would like to experiment with that more at lower speeds but I did have a lot fun!

Edited by 11Budlite

19 hours ago, CBuff said:

How about a Sprinter? That 3-pointed star would look good in any wives' driveway!

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/126080/2019-sprinter-race-van-for-caterham-or-smalle