Registering used Caterham in New York

Hi All, 

In the process of purchasing a used Caterham and bringing it into NYS.
The car has a full VIN, is registered as model 57 lotus, and passes smog/inspection in its current state.

My local DMV said that as long as it has a VIN and Title it can be registered in the same manner as any vehicle. 

Resistant to good news, I called a second office and was told the opposite.

That despite it already having a VIN number, a new custom homebuilt vehicle application would need to be filed. The vehicle would also need several stages of inspection and vetting in order to register it. 

Has this been the experience for those that have purchased an assembled vehicle from out of state as well? 

Very willing to jump through whatever requisite hoops are necessary, but would love to hear others experiences. 

Edited by Cboulderer
Update

2 hours ago, Croc said:

@Vovchandr This is right up your pain point! 

To some degree..

@Cboulderer what do you mean passes smog? CA smog test? Or do you mean OBD2?

So here's the deal. You got two ways of registering each will come with it's own pains and benefits. 

One is registering through the DMV directly as a 2023 Caterham or whatever your title might say. It should go fine like that. That's how mine was. However if it's 1999+ it will need to pass obd2 inspection and to the best of my knowledge no Caterham does as we simply don't have all the EVAP equipment, much less mine as it had a standalone ECU so it has zero chance of passing, however I was grandfathered in to a title due to another state registering it. 

With that said mine already had a title from NC and DMV simply did routine registration. The reason you're getting mixed messages I suspect is because you don't have a title with the car and DMV will have to assign your car a title as a new registrar. I think because its a new registration for an obscure car that can't pass inspection so they want you to go the kit car route which will require special inspections at first and you getting a whole new vin from NY for a specialty built vehicle. Once you go through all that at least you can inspect it every year with the given exception. 

I could be wrong on a few things. Here are some people that had success

@BlakeJ @Deadrock @tvacc and Time Machines for starters. Don't have their tag on hand. 

Exit: confused you and @Arahant for a second. I see yours is a used one. What year? 

Edited by Vovchandr

Mine was built from new, so in NYS, the custom home built vehicle was what was recommended to me and worked out fine.  Really not too much fuss. 

That said, if the vehicle has a title, registration, etc from another state, I’d be inclined to try registering it as a “regular” car, though Vlad’s point about OBDII could pose problems. I’m not familiar with those issues because the custom home builts are exempt. 

I will also add a side note is that the "DMV decision" wildly varies on who's behind the counter. I had everything from pleasant to very difficult times depending on where I went and who I saw. You're more likely to have an easy time with smaller town DMVs for starters. 

You're also going to have a lot easier time being friendly, acting stupid and having pictures of the car as without it it's hard for them to understand your situation. 

I have to reregister mine every few years as (see above) I can't get inspected. Every time I get a new registration the person behind the counter has to go through the same dance and type it in and have errors come up as the weight is too light and triggers some error. They typically call a supervisor of sorts with super permissions who had to explain to them how to put it in or override the error. 

Thanks very much for all your input folks. 
@Vovchandr it has a title, and is a 2013 build. It also has an OBD2 port though I’m not sure exactly what the computer would read out. 

So in summary, there are indeed (at least) two paths-

1. Attempt to register it at a “local” DMV just as one would a regular vehicle.
Potential downside being difficulty with inspection. 
2. Go through the Specialty/Homebuilt vehicle division of DMV which appears to be a bit of a headache upfront, but no future concern with inspections. 

I’m generally one to defer gratification, so I may very well just go directly to option 2.

That said, I’m happy to have somebody talk me out of that, or suggest another alternative.

Either way thanks again to those who’ve chimed in so far. 

7 hours ago, Cboulderer said:

It also has an OBD2 port though I’m not sure exactly what the computer would read out. 

The port is a J1962 plug.  You don't say what engine is installed but depending on that and the ECU, sometimes data is readable via an OBDII reader but will be full of faults (to be expected since its looking for a original car fuel and emissions system), or will simply not read anything.  The Caterham ECU on say a 2013 era Duratec does produce CAN data which can be read by Easimap or data loggers but its not OBDII format which a state government emissions test needs for its software to process.  

10 hours ago, Cboulderer said:

Thanks very much for all your input folks. 
@Vovchandr it has a title, and is a 2013 build. It also has an OBD2 port though I’m not sure exactly what the computer would read out. 

So in summary, there are indeed (at least) two paths-

1. Attempt to register it at a “local” DMV just as one would a regular vehicle.
Potential downside being difficulty with inspection. 
2. Go through the Specialty/Homebuilt vehicle division of DMV which appears to be a bit of a headache upfront, but no future concern with inspections. 

I’m generally one to defer gratification, so I may very well just go directly to option 2.

That said, I’m happy to have somebody talk me out of that, or suggest another alternative.

Either way thanks again to those who’ve chimed in so far. 

One major caveat to option #2 for a used car that's already made. 

Feel free to dig deeper into this as I've only had one experience with it but the problem maybe in the fact that it already exists as a car so you cant just waltz into a specialty home built title.. otherwise anybody would do it with relative ease for other exotics or cars that can't pass inspection. 

You MIGHT have to disassemble the car and then reassemble and log the process in order for it to qualify as home built and then inspect it at end with the specialty station to which you have to tow it to? That's a process that my friend with a Skyline was going through before he sold it instead. 

What general area are you in NY?

Reach out to your local specialty inspector and talk to him as he will be your Executioner of this option if it goes to it. I reached out to mine years ago looking for an exemption for inspection and just never proceeded. At this rate the car sees less than 1000 miles a year and it's really not a big deal for me to wait another few years until it's 25 years old. You do not have that option with a newer car. 

Edited by Vovchandr

1 hour ago, Vovchandr said:

You MIGHT have to disassemble the car and then reassemble and log the process in order for it to qualify as home built and then inspect it at end with the specialty station to which you have to tow it to? That's a process that my friend with a Skyline was going through before he sold it instead. 

Wh-wh-whaaatttt?

15 minutes ago, wdb said:

Wh-wh-whaaatttt?

Again if he's going that route he's best off taking to an inspector. They typically want you to have "bumpers" too. You'll see members in old threads here manufacturing temporary bumpers for front and back for their inspections even in other states. 

Only people that have an easy time are the ones that have a title for it being a 1957 Lotus or similar. It being a Caterham isnt always advantageous in NY. 

16 minutes ago, Cboulderer said:

@Vovchandr, thanks for your continued support. Can you speak more to the title having the model designation of a 57 Lotus? 

I’m in Ulster county, a bit south of Albany. 

Im in Colonie. We might be able to help each other. I can restart the conversation with the inspector I've had communicated with and proceed from there. 

I've taken notes on what forms he told me to fill out but I have misplaced all of them and will need to get a hold of him again. 

In short he told me to fill out some basics, skip the rest and get the forms back to him to schedule something. 

Do keep in mind you'd need to tow the car to him every time. 

As far as the 57 Lotus I don't know how people do it but in NY and other states people get them registered originally as a replica of a 57. I know nothing about that process. 

Alright just got the number and info

Call 518-474-5282 dial option 4

Ideally you get Dan as he's easy going. 

You'll talk to a rep and ask them for documents for a custom registration. Have your ID ready. They will send you a packet then go from there. Just requested one for myself. Still not sure if I'll need bumpers or my wipers back on. I hope not. Don't want to reinstall washer/wipers/motor. 

Edited by Vovchandr

Paperwork is on the way. I spoke with a gentleman named Mike, who I like to think is Dan’s even more easy going officemate. 

Regarding the 57 Lotus angle, the car does indeed have this designation on the current title.
If anyone can confirm if this is some manner of golden ticket, please do chime in.

@Vovchandrwe’re about an hour apart. No doubt close enough to help each other out. 

Edited by Cboulderer

8 minutes ago, Cboulderer said:

Paperwork is on the way. I spoke with a gentleman named Mike, who I like to think is Dan’s even more easy going officemate. 

Regarding the 57 Lotus angle, the car does indeed have this designation on the current title.
If anyone can confirm if this is some manner of golden ticket, please do chime in. 

I spoke with Mike too. I believe he's finding it very strange to have two calls for an infrequent need within a few hours. 

If it's titled as a 57 I believe you'll have no problems at all. 

Is the car already owned by you?

You have to pay the picture tax.. 

Edited by Vovchandr

My late 80s Birkin was originally titled as Lotus 1965, in Illinois (1990).  Transferring to a Texas title was as easy as any out of state car (2013). The usual state inspection (no smog required) and ID number verified by same inspector, and Bam.  Easy.  So IF your title says old Lotus, it may work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, hope y’all are having a nice week.

Had a question: for registration, did anyone had to submit photos of having a padded dashboard, and a defroster on their Caterham?

If so, what did you do?

My understanding is that to get the vin in ny you need to fill out the vs100 form. Which calls for 4 photos of the vehicle (left, right, front and back). Mocked up bumpers and sun shades need to be added for photos. Not sure if the future inspections look at defroster or padded dash.  I haven’t heard the padded dash being an issue. (Maybe since it has 4 point belts solves that along with airbag - you can’t ever get your head that far forward.  

greg or Rick at Time Machine could likely give you better insights.  

I am starting the registration process in the coming days/weeks.  Will keep you updated 

download?token=CKqL8wOq

Right, yeah, I called them up directly. In addition to the 4 photos, they said they might look for padded dash and defroster. Not sure if it’s that much of a deal breaker for them to approve, if we haven’t submitted those.

But you do make a good point about the 4 point seat belt; I’ll also submit photos of the seat with belt