Vovchandr Posted Saturday at 04:17 PM Posted Saturday at 04:17 PM (edited) I have been having a hell of a time with the 5 year rule for tire age for NJMP The avon replacement set that I have is aged out before I ever got to use them. When they were shipped they were already 4 year old and that was years ago. Those were my backup tires specifically for NJMP on a spare set of wheels. Now I'm ordering Toyos. The fronts I got are 2025 and that works but the TWO SETS of tears are both 2023 which is far from ideal. I'm going to try to return one, but I don't think I can return both. Is there something I'm missing here? Is there a better way? I don't go through tires often or quick enough to use them up within 2 seasons years which makes a significant extra cost for every years even to meet the compliance rules. I'd even settle to get more 2025 tires for the back but how do I get them to ship more recent ones? How do you all deal with that? Edited Saturday at 04:17 PM by Vovchandr
Croc Posted Saturday at 08:45 PM Posted Saturday at 08:45 PM Its a fair question. The usual online purchases don't offer any guarantees on dates. The only way I have discovered is to have a relationship with a vendor like Roger Krause, or now his son, where you explain the problem and ask them to check the date code in order to max the usage life under the NJMP rules. The downside of this....you cannot get the tire as cheap but I view that as a good price in order to support a tire vendor who knows their product inside out.
KnifeySpoony Posted Saturday at 09:29 PM Posted Saturday at 09:29 PM That's a crazy rule. They won't let 5yo tires on track?
Croc Posted Sunday at 02:03 AM Posted Sunday at 02:03 AM 4 hours ago, KnifeySpoony said: That's a crazy rule. They won't let 5yo tires on track? Welcome to Noo Joisey....
wemtd Posted Sunday at 02:46 AM Posted Sunday at 02:46 AM Didn’t someone observe Hoosiers or another brand weren’t dated (or maybe the date wasn’t clearly marked in conventional manner) ? granted the bureaucrat’s answer would be “no date = out of date”
Croc Posted Sunday at 11:04 AM Posted Sunday at 11:04 AM 8 hours ago, wemtd said: Didn’t someone observe Hoosiers or another brand weren’t dated (or maybe the date wasn’t clearly marked in conventional manner) ? granted the bureaucrat’s answer would be “no date = out of date” As a general rule, slick tires have no date codes. However, most Hoosiers are DOT tires so have a date code. The Avon slicks I have on the BMW have no date code. The Goodyear Blue Streak vintage race tires on the Mustang have a date code. If no date code then NJMP give a pass and let you run.
Vovchandr Posted Sunday at 12:14 PM Author Posted Sunday at 12:14 PM (edited) 15 hours ago, Croc said: Its a fair question. The usual online purchases don't offer any guarantees on dates. The only way I have discovered is to have a relationship with a vendor like Roger Krause, or now his son, where you explain the problem and ask them to check the date code in order to max the usage life under the NJMP rules. The downside of this....you cannot get the tire as cheap but I view that as a good price in order to support a tire vendor who knows their product inside out. Original Avon order was with Krause. I didn't specify as I had no need at the time but that said was the one that was at least 4 years old. This year neither Krause or the son had stock for me last I recall. Next shipment was coming in after the track day. Doesn't look like there's any good resolve to this problem. I skated by last year because the inspector was struggling to find date codes on the Toyos. I didn't realize this was one of the new rules at the time. Certainly don't want to commit to the whole weekend and fail tech. Speaking of which, HANs device will be out of date next year too 🙄 I feel like they should allow to go by date of purchase for new tires but I understand why they don't want to get into that nuance. Edited Sunday at 12:16 PM by Vovchandr
CBuff Posted yesterday at 04:02 PM Posted yesterday at 04:02 PM My Toyos I got last year are 2023 dates. Thats a bit annoying but I likely will run thru them before 2028. The hoosier R8s slick have a DOT manufacture code but no date.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now