Your overall favorite engine for a Lotus 7 variant.

Ruadhd2

Guess I am starting a big thread here, but it could be a fun discussion if it hasn't already taken place.

I have a Mazda rotary engine that has been rebuilt to "race" specs that is in the shop getting a new transmission, flywheel,and clutch and wonder about its longevity. I know it will use oil. It is quirky and will continue to require tweaks and monitoring. I am looking for reliability and some trouble-free daily excursions and some longer trips.

If I ever did an engine replacement, what do you think is the best overall, solid engine and drive train choice?

I understand the very early rotaries like the 12A in unmodified, standard presentation can be quite reliable.

The RX-8 engine is quite good but pricey.

I am afraid of English Ford based engines or American Ford based engines, although I hear the latter can be solid, powerful and reliable.

I don't want anything with Lucas electricals.

The Honda S2000 sounds like a good choice because they are solid and reliable.

Toyotas should be a safe bet also, especially twin-cams.

Having owned a Miata, I know that those are great options. The Westfield, of course, has demonstrated that, and they take turbos nicely.

I fear the monster LS engines because the car seems to just have too much power for daily excursions. They are more of a great novelty or for the occasional experience of pure adrenaline. (Sorry about that Mazda. Correct me if I am wrong).

Don't know much about Busa or other cycle engines. I would guess they hold up.

I guess the GM V6 and V8 in the Stalkers are solid.

For you engineers out there who think this question is too generic, I would happily ask that this thread be moved to the "Newbie" section.

Thoughts?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I fear the monster LS engines because the car seems to just have too much power for daily excursions. They are more of a great novelty or for the occasional experience of pure adrenaline. (Sorry about that Mazda. Correct me if I am wrong).

Just because the gas pedal is there, doesn't mean you have to smash it all the time. I'm glad the test ride made a lasting impression. :rofl:

Let me see if you can keep up with the variety of 7 engines:

Pinto

Zetec

Crossflow

Puma

Duratech

Vauxhall XE

Vauxhall 1.6

Rover K series

Cosworth Turbo

Cosworth NA

Toyota 4age

Mazda Piston engine

Mazda Wankle

Alfa Romeo (TC)

Fiat (TC)

Honda S2000

Rover V8

Chevy V8

SAAB Turbo

Busa

Blade

Blackbird

R1

+ the Turbos ones

V6 Vauxhall one

Corvette LS1

Nissan SER RB20

GM Quad 4

Volvo engine

Do we have enough -- are we missing something?

Edited by BusaNostra

I appreciate the long list. It is very helpful just as a point of information. I guess what I am getting at is maybe those who have owned, experienced, worked on, studied a number of 7's and have some degree of confidence in one engine or another. Of course the diehards like the S2000, Miatas and some others have demonstrated reliability in the cars which have donated them. I guess we all have different purposes for owning 7's. For some folks, reliability isn't the main issue as much as horsepower, torque, top speed, acceleration times, etc. I am more or less looking for decent torque, reasonable power throughout the acceleration band, but, most of all, reliability, since I am obviously not mechanically inclined or I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. So, I guess this could become a game of adding to an endless list or actually addressing the question. As for why someone without mechanical skills would own a 7...that's a good one. Its also like owning a power boat without said skills and I''ve done that too. Some people would rather pay others to do the work and engage in other things. So, given a car with an owner who can't fix a car when it is stuck in some goodness awful place waiting for a tow, what engine would reduce the probability of being stranded? Maybe I should ask Mazda to move this question to the Newbie section after all.

Your guess about the Stalker V6 being solid is correct. I bought my superStalker over a year ago and have not had to tweak, wrench or otherwise touch the engine. Gobs of torque and power when you want it! Parts are readily available from NAPA of I ever need them.

Correction... I did have to clean out the screen in the fuel regultor due to some crap in the fuel tank. But that is it.

The T5 transmission has performed flawlessly as well!

Scott

I've seen both BMW and Nissan powered Se7ens. I have a BMC-A powered car. Kyle has a Lotus engined Se7en (I forget if it is the 907 or 910 engine). I've heard of some Lexis V8 engined Se7ens but I don't know if they were actually built. The company may have gone bust prior to completing any.

The BMC engines fit very nicely in a seven.

I think the 7 America came with a 948cc BMC (Austin Healy Sprite Engine) and some of the later 7's that were shipped to the states had the 1275cc and the 1500cc BMC engines.

I have an 1800cc BMC in my replica 7 and it originally came out of an MGB and it works great.

Personally for a small light car like the 7 i think a small light engine is the way to go. To me the ultimate 4 would have to be the cosworth BDA as a 1600 in the 7. Best sound ever.

How heavy are these cars when fitted with a v6 or v8? Whats the weight distribution?

Personally for a small light car like the 7 i think a small light engine is the way to go. To me the ultimate 4 would have to be the cosworth BDA as a 1600 in the 7. Best sound ever.

How heavy are these cars when fitted with a v6 or v8? Whats the weight distribution?

My car is heavy @ 1750 lbs, because it's also bigger than most sevens. I think - don't quote me - LS powered V8 Stalker is in the 1600 lb range.

Weight bias? I had mine corner weighed. with me in the car, I have a small rear weight bias with the V8. something like 52% rear... I posted it in the tech section a while back.

An interesting thread. I agree that the Hartley V8 is a beautiful motor (I saw it at Carlisle a few years ago) but I put it into the realm of a Judd or Hart motor....... unobtainable exotica.

As to more readily available options I think it depends on the car. I love the Busa engine in my car. I can rev the nuts off it at trackdays ant still putter around town. It is a great engine for a lightweight car. If I wanted a period looking car the BDA would be very cool. If I wanted a modern car engine in a modern seven where I was not watching my weight I think the Nissan SR20DET would be a great candidate.

I have an absoloutly trashed/ratty Lotus Elan that I am considering turning into a hot-rod and have considered engine/trans options. I do not know if the Nissan would fit. Has anyone seen a viable modern motor for the old Elan?

Cheers,

Dermot.