Your overall favorite engine for a Lotus 7 variant.

Ruadhd2

I would go with an engine that is available state side with easily available parts. I love the S2000 engine for its reliablilty and power. There isnt a more powerful box stock engine around with the same level of reliability. It is a tall engine so may not fit all cars. It isnt the lightest either and the six speed trans is a bit of a monster. That being said it is very civil for a liesurely tour and is very fast if you keep it between 5500 to 9000 rpm. The lack of low end grunt that alot of S2000 owners complain of goes away with the weight of the seven compared to a S2000 car. Go with the 2.2 L and it gives more low end grunt. You can find eng tranny combinations for around 3k if you look around.

The V6 engines like the Superstalker use make good power are reasonable price and reliable. It will be a little heavier with its iron block. Than an aluminum 4 banger.

I dont know alot about the ford motors in stock form they should be alot of fun and very reliable. It will take some money to get alot of power out of them. (230 hp range) Honda does that box stock. The Ford is shorter and more compact engine, not but much though.

Love the Hartley engine just very pricey and thats before you mate the engine with a trans. I like his H2 model which uses a Busa head, crank, rods, and pistons in his custom engine case. It does away with the bike engine and he puts a bell housing with flywheel and clutch assy to mate to a transmission. It has the alt mounted on the other end with the dry sump set up. It is compact and really cool and makes 200hp. It cures the main problem with BEC wear on transmissions and saves some weight which you have to add back with another trans. It would be great with an Elite 5sp sequential tranny. You now have sequential shifting again and a proper reverse. For about 15k you can put this package together out my price range but it would be a trick set up.

hartley h2.jpg

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Donkervoorts in Europe are now using the Audi 2lt 4cyl turbo engine. I have one in my daily driver and it is a nice smooth engine with a surprising amount of torque. The downside is that it is NOT a compact package. Not having seen a Donkervoort in the flesh I guess they must be fairly hefty to accommodate this engine.

I do not know if the Nissan would fit. Has anyone seen a viable modern motor for the old Elan?

Cheers,

Dermot.

I have heard of a few Elans running Toyota 4AGE 20 valves. Small , light and with a standard 160 or so HP. This is what I have in my seven and its plenty of power for me for now. The Zetec is another but they don't rev like the 4A and so have a different character. I imagine the Duratec is too tall??

Ls9 ftw :D

LS2 had just come out when I got mine... If anything happens to it (maybe even not), I will replace with a stroked LS2 or LS3 and save a few pounds that the blower and dry sump add. 550hp should keep me happy for a while. :)

I just saw this: 420lbs torque!

"... They call it EcoBoost, and with the 2011 F-150's new 3.5-liter V6 engine, it delivers 420 lb-ft of diesel-like torque, 365 horsepower and highway mileage into the mid-20s..."

Probably too big for our cars but that's impressive.

I just saw this: 420lbs torque!

"... They call it EcoBoost, and with the 2011 F-150's new 3.5-liter V6 engine, it delivers 420 lb-ft of diesel-like torque, 365 horsepower and highway mileage into the mid-20s..."

Probably too big for our cars but that's impressive.

According to this, that engine weighs 449 lbs.

http://mustangs.about.com/od/modelyearprofiles/a/ecoboost-ford.htm

EcoBoost Weight Specs

EcoBoost versus other Ford engines:

3.5L V6 PFI 405 .lbs

3.5L V6 EcoBoost 449 .lbs

Mod V8s 525-550 .lbs

6.2L V8 590 .lbs

That's heavier than a normally aspirated LS3 crate motor - 415 lbs, complete with packing, not including the actual wooden crate.

Toyota 2TG has been mentioned before .. especially when punched out to 2L with a 3TC crank .. which is what mine is (I'm told) .. parts are scarce though.

Rob

That is one of the reason I like the Lotus twin-cam. Plenty of parts and support.

If someone wanted to go high-tech there is a fuel injection option that is a direct bolt on for the Stromberg head. That and replacing the distributer with crank angle based direct ignition would free up a bunch of power.

Still I gather that 170 hp is about the limit unless you go to heroic levels to keep the engine together.

GM LS series V8's are very reliable have tons of torque, "almost enough" HP and are cheap. It is easy to make 600+ HP if "needed" and mine weighs only 357 lbs. Probably to big for a Berkin/Caterham but they do fit in Stalkers. They are also lighter than the cast iron Superchaged V6. Only way to go for the power addicts in our midst. GM crate engines also come with a 2 year/50,000 mile warranty.

For the exotics, the Hartley V8 is a very neat piece. It fits beautifully in an original Seven, can make almost 500 HP and weighs less than 200 lbs.

It seems like the formula for the perfect se7en engine is a blend of lightness, compactness, power, reliability, serviceability. If so, the bike engined cars would seem to have an advantage, followed by the most modern 4 cyl engines (Duratec, Ecotec, etc) since modern car makers have roughly the same perameters.