Ford Crossflow to BDR Conversion

11Budlite

That is very cool but you can buy a lot of used ZX3 motors for that kind of money I do believe especially with all of the wrecked Ford Focus's that are out their and one would not have to wait for parts from Europe if a spare was needed and besides you would still need to rebuild the bottom end I would think.

Just my belief.

Believe the kit for that picture is for a 160-170 HP spec, which I'm pretty sure the standard crank can take.

Dave Bean also has BDA/G/R (etc.) parts and kits, as do these guys:

http://www.blueskyracing.com/

Can you tell what this Crossflow owner dreams about? :)

Now, all I have to do is win the lottery.

Steve

Jeez, that kit is $13,500, then shipping, and cost of building. Or, get a Duratec for $2K that makes more power and more reliable power. Wh/is what I did, and why I sold my Caterham for my Birkin when I was looking to add some power to make my car competitive at track days. Like Martin, just my belief-I'd love a BDR Caterham, just wasn't able to justify cost.

Of course it makes absolutely no financial sense (hence the "money to burn" comment) but then again a Zetec or Duratec doesn't sound or look like a BDR! :)

Edited by 11Budlite

There was some talk on one of the se7en lists about someone making a 1-pc cover that would replace the entire Zetec cover. Haven't heard anything more about it though.

I guess it could be this one mentioned in the Focus Fanatics thread: http://www.retro-ford.co.uk/shop/content/bda-zetec-rocker-covers-available-soon

Of course it makes absolutely no financial sense (hence the "money to burn" comment) but then again a Zetec or Duratec doesn't sound or look like a BDR! :)

So what! A Hyabusa weighs half as much with it's 6 speed sequential transbox included, has More power, Revs thousands higher and is 1/4 the price. Suzuki will even sell you repair parts.

But then some like BMC A series engines too. Nostalgia is 99% 'selective' memory :-)

So what! A Hyabusa weighs half as much with it's 6 speed sequential transbox included, has More power, Revs thousands higher and is 1/4 the price. Suzuki will even sell you repair parts.

But then some like BMC A series engines too. Nostalgia is 99% 'selective' memory :-)

Obviously if you're talking just pure performance/durability/weight/etc there's any number of modern engines that would out-perform and outlast some of the cool engines from years ago. It's not like I don't appreciate some of the modern engines and have even thought about upgrading the Zetec in my Birkin to a Duratec. But if you're old enough to remember seeing the 1965 Indy-winning Lotus driven by Jim Clark at the New York World's Fair, and think that one of the greatest racing engines of all time is the Ford Cosworth DFV that was introduced with the Lotus 49 in 1967, then you can understand my attraction to the whole Lotus/Ford/Cosworth connection. Check out some of the videos on youtube and tell me they aren't cool! :)

PS: Just so you know I still have a "monster" 948cc BMC A-series from my first car, a '61 Bugeye Sprite that was totaled when a lady ran a stop sign, sitting under a work bench in my basement! :D

Budlite Bruce, All the fun from your 1700lb bugeye with 47hp becomes amplified in a 900lb Lotus 7! I subscribe to the philosophy that it is more fun to go fast in a slow car although if your old BMC 948-A motor is a monster, does that make my BMC 1275-A godzilla? :) I'm trembling with just the thought of a whopping 65hp!

Budlite Bruce, All the fun from your 1700lb bugeye with 47hp becomes amplified in a 900lb Lotus 7! I subscribe to the philosophy that it is more fun to go fast in a slow car although if your old BMC 948-A motor is a monster, does that make my BMC 1275-A godzilla? :) I'm trembling with just the thought of a whopping 65hp!

notakit,

Compared to the 948-A your 1275-A is godzilla but my 1800 BMC (MGB Engine) is King Kong....:rofl:....but compared to the more modern engines that are out there they are all sluggs and boat anchors in reality but fun to drive and I do agree with the fact that driving a low powered car fast is a lot of fun.

So I have a "monster" 948cc A-series sitting under my bench afraid to come out because of the "King Kong" 1798cc B-series in my '64 MGB sitting in the garage! I got rid of "Godzilla" a couple years back when I sold off my '72 Midget and almost all of my 30-year collection of Spridget parts. I almost picked up an early Lotus 7 S2 a couple years back which would have been the new home for the "monster" motor sitting under the bench. I wonder if that car is still for sale....

crazymike - I love what you're doing with your build. When do you think you'll have it done?

Good stuff guys, I couldn't agree with you more! :)

We looked into that a few years back but no one ever pulled the trigger: http://usa7s.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1586&highlight=cosworth

There was some talk on one of the se7en lists about someone making a 1-pc cover that would replace the entire Zetec cover. Haven't heard anything more about it though.

Saw this a while back.

http://www.retro-ford.co.uk/shop/content/bda-zetec-rocker-covers-available-soon

m

OOps! shoulda read the whole thread.

Edited by pi7ot