Superformance new USA Caterham Distributor

Kess

Could it be possible that the North Americans need all that HP to pull all the BS and Lard around.

If you check on the Morgan site you will note that some of the same models for the US market are 6" wider. In 2005 I drove both a Morgan Aero from England and one that was a US model. I floated around in the seat for the US model and wondered why, until I was informed of the difference.

I guess that is why Caterham also produces the super size model as well.

I'll probably get in trouble for this one, but if the truth hurts.....

You chubby Brits are right behind us, should overtake us in 2-3 years, the truth hurts:)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obesity in the United Kingdom is a growing health concern with health officials stating that it is one of the leading causes of preventable deaths in the United Kingdom. In February 2012 experts predicted that by the year 2020 one third of the United Kingdom could be obese. [1] According to Forbes, United Kingdom ranks 28 on a 2009 list of fattest countries. [2] Britain was also listed as the country with the 58th fattest waistline amongst 81 countries. [3]

Adult obesity rates have almost quadrupled in the last 25 years, with 23.1% of British people now being obese.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ihckb2, we are definitely fat in the US, but I don't think that is the driving force for big power in the US. Even doubling a persons weight doesn't require doubling the power to get similar performance.

The drive for power has been there long before the US was hugely obese. I'm not sure where the geneses of this was, but I really believe the anchor to this psychology has been cheap fuel. I bet if Europe's gas prices dropped in half over night there would be a growth in engine size/power pretty quickly.

Daniel

I think the drive for engine size comes from a few areas.

1, In the early days of cars in America, the topography & rural nature of America lends it's self to a more wide open non-sports car driving style. I.E. bored kids on a Friday-Saturday would cruise main street and drag-race.

2, Prohibition, It created the mobsters & Moonshiners that needed a fast get away car. Which spawned a plague that we are still stuck with in America. Nascar:puke:

3, The afore mentioned cheap fuel, cheap cars, low tax on said cars, disposable income & or easy credit.

4, We Americans are slow learners & love living in the past. We resist any change and only change when forced to by necessity or new laws. Quickness & agility through weight reduction is a foreign concept to most Americans outside of this forum.

The size matters bigger is always better American attitude also applies to SUV's and our homes. And yes our arses.

Edited by bigdog

Xflow7

I only say that the 160 would be a sales flop due to two things about the American market.

1, As one can see on this forum, One will see more posts about big engines, big power, & racing than most anything else. Just look at the post about the new Zenos. A member very thoughtfully posted a list of the best cars within the 7's genre. The factor that got the heaviest weighting was power to weight ratios. Secondarily or tertiary was cost. Ease of use, Ease of maintenance, Availability didn't seem a factor.

2, Most (but not all) 7's owners seem to be in a more financially secure zone. So they tend to indulge the Tim Allen "more power" side of the 7. I'm more on your side xflow7. I balked at spending more than it cost to buy my last two cars (2006 BMW Zed4, 2008 BMW 328i) to get a Caterham that leaves a Ferrari for dead. I don't live to beat people and so I do not require "the fastest" I do like to drive fast, unique cars though. That's why I have a xflow.

I absolutely take your point, and you could very well be right. I just think that it's overly simplistic to say that a lower-powered niche car couldn't be successful here. By that logic, the Miata should have flopped among enthusiasts but that wasn't the case. For all the hairdresser jokes, that car, particularly in its early incarnations proved to be a winner among a certain segment of the enthusiast crowd.

Having said that, to be successful, the price of a 160-type offering *would* have to be substantially less than the Duratec-powered variants, and this may or may not be feasible.

Dave

"The drive for power has been there long before the US was hugely obese. I'm not sure where the geneses of this was, but I really believe the anchor to this psychology has been cheap fuel. I bet if Europe's gas prices dropped in half over night there would be a growth in engine size/power pretty quickly."

What you said is true. After the war, GI started the hot rodding by 1940's, not a single obese GI came home....the quest for power was immense then.

Fuel were plentiful - very very cheap. Mr. Chevy - Mr. Ford & Mr. Dodge drinks too much SUNOCO 260 (102 octane) in order to satisfy their insatiable 6 pack - double barrel - quads - big tall cam - double pumper - cross flow - big cubes & exotic hemi heads. The muscle car was born.

Apex & Vertex was not the measuring stick but to go fast in straight line...so true up to this minute. Caterham 160 will not sell....they might take the chassis and transplant another engine the next year....lol: lol:

...after all its a suzuki....

Edited by s2k7

Xflow7,

The big difference with the Miata though is that it is inexpensive, easy to drive, user friendly. The O'Reilly store has parts for it. And of course you threw in the modifier "enthusiast crowd". I emagine that the Miata was a flop amongst that group untill later. The Caterham, as charming as it is. Is still a very narrowly focused car. While people can and do drive their sevens across the country or commute to work in them. It takes mountains of planing and a dedicated & very special owner & passenger to attempt a cross country trip. Something that the Miata can do in spades, and in comfort.

Xflow7,

The big difference with the Miata though is that it is inexpensive, easy to drive, user friendly. The O'Reilly store has parts for it. And of course you threw in the modifier "enthusiast crowd". I emagine that the Miata was a flop amongst that group untill later. The Caterham, as charming as it is. Is still a very narrowly focused car. While people can and do drive their sevens across the country or commute to work in them. It takes mountains of planing and a dedicated & very special owner & passenger to attempt a cross country trip. Something that the Miata can do in spades, and in comfort.

Have both a Miata and a Superformance S1, Both are fun to drive but the S1 will carry more luggage, and is easier on me for long trips, The Miata with Hard top is quieter (not so) and dryer in the rain. At my place the Miata would be the first sold, The S1 is a greater pain in the butt (maintenance) but 1000% more fun. And we here in US have long been lusting after less weight but not at the expense of less power, and would add that the road cars with obscene amounts of power mostly originated on the continent.

As I have said before, many Americans buy cars by the pound, that's why a Lincon is always going to be better than a 7, right!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

Here is the inaugural Caterham display set up at Barrett-Jackson next to the Hillbank Motorsports booth. No one is around before the show opens to the public, but if I can get some photos when the crowds are released I will try and post them for you.

BJ2014b.jpg

What model is the silver 7? The hood emblem, vent and side mirrors do not look like typical Caterham items. Thanks.

Unsure about the NACA duct, but the car appears to be a CSR, the hood emblem is Caterham's new logo. I also believe the mirrors to be caterham as I've seen them on other CSR's.

Unsure about the NACA duct, but the car appears to be a CSR, the hood emblem is Caterham's new logo. I also believe the mirrors to be caterham as I've seen them on other CSR's.

Agree about the mirrors and nose badge, but I've never seen a CSR that didn't have inboard coil-overs; probably an SV. The NACA duct on that particular car is conspicuously located in the same place most of the latest Caterhams have the cold air intake: intake side, just ahead of the scuttle. The ones on the Caterham UK web page show a carabiner-shaped hole with a screen instead of a NACA duct, but in the same location.

The cut out nose was used on middle east cars that where fitted with what was know as a Hot Climate Pack. The mirrors were produced for EU cars

It's an SV chassis for sure.

Thanks, though agreeing with others that this is not a CSR. Also has the wrong front fenders (no flat top).

It is an EU5 480. 240Hp duratec, with EU-compliant mirrors. Those mirrors are not what will be sold here.

All SV chassis vehicles have the open top Nosecone, with venting of waste air out the top.

NACA duct is for engine intake air.

-Bruce

It is an EU5 480. 240Hp duratec, with EU-compliant mirrors. Those mirrors are not what will be sold here.

All SV chassis vehicles have the open top Nosecone, with venting of waste air out the top.

NACA duct is for engine intake air.

-Bruce

Available in the US?