Driving Shoes?

Road Ready

I actually went to the race shop at Sanoma Raceway and bought mine; I was never any good at shopping on line for shoes, suits, etc . . . I like to try it on first. I have Sparco's, and the track was called Sears Point when I bought my shoes; that's how long I've had them and they are still in great shape. Get a good quality shoe.

I've been thinking about getting driving shoes also. I've found some online. If there're not for regulated competition, you don't need fire resistant ones. At the Atlanta British Car Fayre I asked a guy about his Puma shoes. He said you needed to order a size larger than you usually wear.

I've been thinking about getting driving shoes also. I've found some online. If there're not for regulated competition, you don't need fire resistant ones. At the Atlanta British Car Fayre I asked a guy about his Puma shoes. He said you needed to order a size larger than you usually wear.

Pumas are sized funny, but my experience is that they are consistent. If your local stores don't have the style you want (like Drift Cat III or whatever) then try on whatever they happen to have. Once you know the "puma" size, then order what you want online in that size.

I use Simpsons and like them very much. Five minutes with a seam ripper or razor blade takes off the silly patch on the side and you are left with a simple black shoe that fits very well into a Seven foot well.

dave

Safety minded guys may not like this, because they have no fire retardant, but I picked up wrestling shoes at the local sporting goods store.

Simple, cheaper, work great to fit my size 12s in the cramped pedal box.

And as said earlier, I felt the need to try them on 1st.

If your close enough to a racetrack that has a pro shop your best off trying on driving shoes as the size given for each manufacturer varies and a lot of them are given in "European" sizes that don't translate to an exact American numeric number. Also a lot or different "feel" to shoes when you walk in them. Some are pretty much "car only" and a good walk down a long paddock is about the comfort limit, others feel almost like regular shoes.

As far as "trying them on at the store and then buying them on line" goes try to keep in perspective that the few bucks saved my be what causes you to not have a brick and mortar store to go to next time you need something you need to try on. And if you think shoes are a guess on line, try ordering a driving suit.

On the other hand, if you don't need fire retardant shoes you can find some really comfortable "moccasin" style shoes that don't have a lot of extra sole that are just as narrow as the driving shoes and have a lot of pedal feel. I have driving shoes (Simpson) and some mocs (Dexter) that are the same width and feel about the same in the car.

Whatever happened to the $3 lace up summer sneakers of my youth? No extra rubber goo-gahs stuck all over them to make them look "athletic" and soles so thin you could feel both pads on the bike pedal.

Sizing was "normal"...I wear a size 9 and ordered that...fits nicely like a driving shoe should. Wore them on the California Mille...4 days, 1000 miles in our Elite... this last spring and no discomfort at all. Use them in the 7 with success, too. Here are photos of me "suiting up" Monday morning at the start of the CA Mille.

20140428_081931.jpg

20140428_082000.jpg

Edited by HankMauel

I have Pilotti and Simpson race shoes, both have FIA fireproof ratings, both are quite narrow, extremely comfortable, and work well in the 7......but I don't have elephant sized feet like some of you, size 10 and not 13's. I can't imagine 13's in that small footwell.

I bought a set of these to go with my Green/yellow Lotus 7:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAReoS0ttZzHT3waCXgveUNB3Q9erd7MgaowM38klQk1rU31cXJQ

Look up Clark suede driving shoes. Cost about $70. Very comfortable and work well in both the 7 and my Elite.

Here's the link: http://www.worldclassmotoring.com/jim-clark-suede-driving-shoes/

My wife and I picked up a couple pairs of these shoes for under $50 at shoebuy. There is a $20 discount code floating around somewhere for them. One of the vendors had them at LOG 34 which made it nice for people to try them on.

My wife and I picked up a couple pairs of these shoes for under $50 at shoebuy. There is a $20 discount code floating around somewhere for them. One of the vendors had them at LOG 34 which made it nice for people to try them on.

Just ordered a pair, total was $48 with the discount plus free shipping. They also have a Sir Stirling Moss shoe in blue which I wanted to match my blue Caterham but it was not on sale and was listed for $148.

Link to the shoes: http://www.shoebuy.com/hunziker-collection.htm?dnl=1

Skip,

Thanks for the link--and, of course, the green/yellow works for me!

Taber

Taber,

You're welcome.

The green/yellow is OK for me too. It doesn't make much sense that the same shoe in blue with a different number on the toe would cost nearly $100 more. Blue with a 7 on the toe is a perfect match for my Caterham.