Jump to content

Croc

Administrators
  • Posts

    9,187
  • Joined

Everything posted by Croc

  1. Some more photos got posted by others on the Lotus Talk site. Plenty of gratuitous Seven pics plus some ribbing for an indiscretion I made. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f110/nj-ny-catskills-spirited-drive-saturday-august-21-a-90732/
  2. I was having problems with the links...not quite sure what I was doing wrong....if you continue to have issues then here is the link to the photofucket album where they are stored: http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/
  3. Interior of the Elite http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00059_edited-1.jpg Being a scrounger at heart I went prowling in the storage areas for interesting things – any guesses on the shell?: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00060_edited-1.jpg Karl (Blubarisax) and his wife joined for the party at the Lotus Shack. His new car from Caterham USA is about a week away and all of the potential registration problems look to be overcome so he will be roadgoing in no time at all.
  4. Here is the interior of the Europa – note the autographed dashboard from LOG 28. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00058_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00056_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00055_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00057_edited-1.jpg
  5. The end of the day was at the Lotus Shack. The owner from the LEO group built it next to his business in an industrial area to store his toys. It has to win the ultimate garage award or come a close second. Lots of food and drinks to snack on while we prowled the contents of the garage. Excellent fun! David (owner in the green/yellow t shirt) welcoming us to the Lotus Shack: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00051_edited-1.jpg The cars....drool.... http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00052_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00053_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00054_edited-1.jpg
  6. We stopped for a mid point break at Phoenicia. Lovely little Catskill town that has a strong focus on visitors to go river tubing or on bikes for lunch/coffee/etc. The owners of this place were dumbfounded by our cars. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00043_edited-1.jpg Some drive pictures. I got stuck behind a block of apartments….oh…a Volvo 240 who pushed in without giving way from a side street and then went slow. First opportunity and I passed him: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00050_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00046_edited-1.jpg
  7. An Elise and an Esprit. The Esprit is nicknamed Frankensprit as it has had a few turbo modifications that make it somewhat faster. Still I would like to see Frankenseven slap it silly in a straight line. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00036_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00037_edited-1.jpg The one up man ship game for modifications was one by this Exige – a kit had been fitted to make the entire clam rotate back for complete access. Held down by some thumbscrews it looked remarkably simple. Very neat design – so simple you would think the factory would do this: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00039_edited-1.jpg Off on the drive we were probably too big to keep together as a group. We always seemed to be stopping to try and keep the group together. Here was a 10-15 min stop as we waited for Tom who fell victim to a traffic cop stopping him for “speeding” Made no sense as he was following our train of cars, had only just left the truck stop and we were coming up to a red traffic light. Escaped with a warning. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00041_edited-1.jpg
  8. I joined the Lotus Enthusiasts Organization (LEO) of NY and NJ for its annual Catskills run yesterday. About 2 hours north of NYC, the area is very scenic, great views and excellent twisty roads. Meeting place was at Montgomery NY, at a truck stop before proceeding for the drive. About 16 cars turned up – 2 x Esprit, an Elan, number of Elise and Exige, 2 Sevens, a Porsche GT3, an NSX, and a Corvette plus 1 on a bike. Here is Stewart’s Seven Classic (crossflow powered). Originally from CT (so you may remember this being up for sale on Ebay last year) but Stewart managed to navigate the pitfalls of NJ registration to get it on the road: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00030_edited-1.jpg The business end of his car: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00034_edited-1.jpg Here it is again next to my fat bastard Seven: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00033_edited-1.jpg A lovely Elan – not sure that exhaust looks stock? http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Aug%202010%20Catskills%20Spirited%20Drive/DSC00031_edited-1.jpg
  9. Count me in for a couple.
  10. Great post - I enjoyed reading through the upgrade process. I am glad you like the results!
  11. You are right - Bster was looking for a Stalker and has one lined up for pick up this month when he can start terrorizing the roads! It is a different one to this particular Stalker though.
  12. Are you moving the Seven to Bonaire? No heater would be needed there!
  13. I love the color scheme on this edition car. I am sure they had a 50th anniversary edition but I cannot recall it - obviously not as memorable as the 40th version.
  14. Wow...just think how much faster you could be with a set of these beauties http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4&zenid=c8oc1vnv6lhqasg2akt8q6q4n7 :jester:
  15. Posted from the Lotus Enthusiasts Organization (LEO) of NY/NJ/CT. Some of you have been on these drives before with Atwell Haines' group - great bunch of guys who appreciate anything automotive. This drive last year was a stunner. Right now, I am planning to be there (unless it wants to bucket down). On Saturday, August 21, with the assistance of Alex Cornwell and Sandy and David Nagler, we present our Catskill Drive and Driving Fever Summer Gathering! We will meet at 10:30 AM at: Travel Centers of America 125 Neelytown Road Montgomery, NY 12549-2823 (845) 457-3163 That is at Exit 5 of Interstate 84 (jct of State Route 208). The TA truckstop has refreshments for you, and gasoline for your Lotus...come earlier if you want to have breakfast (I'll be there about 10 AM). Then, it's off on an enthralling drive of more than 2 hours. Our midpoint stop at Monticello Motor Club has been cancelled last minute, but we will definitely have a mid-drive break at a place of local interest. Eventually (about 2:30 PM) we will wind up at the Nagler's Lotus Shack in Chester, NY, (32 Elkay Dr) where we can unwind, see the automobilia in the 'Shack, and graze on some of Sandy's delicious appetizers and finger foods. Please RSVP by Tuesday, August 17 to David or Sandy so they can pick enough fruit... lotushack@lotusowners.com or 845-781-0316. It's OK to show up at the Shack only, if you can't spend the entire day with us.
  16. Go for it - the mechnical oil pressure gauge was one of the better improvements I invested on my car. Also easier than expected to install once I purchased the right bits and bobs.
  17. This is a very sensible question - most people do not understand their liability exposures until they have a claim that exceeds their car/home policy upper limits. The big caution for you here is that insurance is state dependent. I work in the insurance field so I get to see this mess every day. For example, Allstate and Met will not touch our Sevens in NJ but will in other states. Safeco is another company that is very helpful with insuring our cars but only does so in about 30 states (unfortunately not NJ but does CT). I have agreed value comprehensive car insurance on my Caterham through State Farm. The agreed value is subject to an annual indexing at my option at time of renewal. However, that was only after I had extensive negotiations with the State Farm NJ underwriters. I also have an umbrella policy via Chubb Insurance masterpiece product. They only sell via agents but you can find a CT agent on the Chubb website close to your zip code. If you have problems I can get a referral via my NJ agent (they are not licensed in CT). State Farm also offerred an umbrella to me but it would not cover my overseas assets. Chubb also insures Sevens on an inflation adjusted agreed value basis but they were more expensive than State Farm. Another option instead of Hagerty is Grundy. I found their Grundy's NJ policies had better terms and conditions and allowed more driving flexibility and usage. Hagerty policies in NJ hardly allowed you to drive the car for anything but a car club event if you read the fine print.
  18. I think I recognize the symptoms of an automotive orgasm! lucky its not my keyboard and screen.... I think owners of all Sevens - Westfields, Birkins, Stalkers, Ultralites, etc, would all agree with your sentiments, not just the Caterham drivers. Congratulations on your new Seven and welcome to the very exclusive Seven owners club!
  19. Croc

    Log 30

    I just sent my form off - will be there for the reception Fri night and the Sat evening dinner. I also signed up for the autox - never done one of them before so it should be entertainment for the crowds watching. Unfortunately now that I have a new job on the horizon I will be unable hang around for the Sunday night or Monday track day since I will need to be back at the office - bit of a pity. For those arriving early on Friday, any interest in getting a small USA7s scenic run (or "spirited drive") together?
  20. Congratulations on your purchase Twobone! She looks lovely! Being a Japanese car it probably came from a fanatic so the car is probably perfect in everyway. Happy driving! It will be easy to drive RHD on Canada (or even US) roads. Just takes a short period of adjustment and concentration. I drove an old RHD Jag across the US and apart from watching intersections and turns it was fine. You can also see a similar situation in the US Virgin Islands where they drive LHD on the left hand side of the road.
  21. Thank you for resurrecting this posting. While I was not there....I wish I was...it looks like it was a great time for everyone. Another 7 years to the next one?
  22. Look for obvious signs of chassis rails being repaired from a hit. Did you take the nosecone off for your inspection of the engine bay area? Very easy to do and gives you good view into that area. As Slingsht notes, electrical gremlins are common....but sortable. There are lots of loose connection types of issues that should not stop you purchasing but you should expect soon after purchase. Expect to need to fettle the car after purchase.... anyway that is half the fun of owning your new toy - setting it up just the way you like it. Good luck!
  23. Croc

    Log 30

    Putting aside my wind up of Jon :jester:...the CD/book was very good for understanding the Gettysburg site as you visit the various stops. Even without the sound you can use the book as a map guide of each stop on the battlefields. Gettysburg is a deeply moving place when you put it all in context with a guide like that. Send me a PM with your address and I will mail a color copy of the book to you end of next week when I get home from Cambodia. I may end up joining you to tour the battlefields again - very moving.
  24. Confirmed - they are Type S. When I was last visiting the factory I found you can still buy them from Caterham at about $1000 a seat. They are very comfortable but not at that price!
  25. On a Sevens run last year, Jon (Boxologist) brought along these nifty little walkie talkie thingys. Great for communicating between cars especially at an intersection when there is a debate on which way to go.... We only used them sporadically - it was not a tool for chatting - just to keep the group together on back roads. None of us were wearing helmets so no problems hearing them.
×
×
  • Create New...