New Build

Pokey

Greg,

We used the trim mostly to give it a more finished look but also because it protects the wing from the shield with a little space for deflection on impact from rocks and stuff. We, at the recommendation of Josh Robbins from Rocky Mountain Caterham, also used small stainless nuts and bolts that had hex drive to fasten the shield instead of rivets. When the inevitable replacement time comes, it will be whole lot easier...plus it looks really cool.

Makes sense, thanks. A thought that came after I posted the question was perhaps the carbon fiber won't conform perfectly to the wing so if I don't use the rubber trim small gaps will be evident between the attachment points?

I wanted nylon bolts to affix the rear wings anyway, so added button head socket bolts to an order I was placing with McMaster. I'm not sure I can guess what circumstances would lead to my having to replace a carbon fiber stone guard that also doesn't involve replacing the wing it is attached to, but there is so much I don't know and appreciate being able to benefit from other's experiences.

Thanks again!

Depending on where you drive, the stone guards can look worse for wear after a while and will really stand out if the rest of the car still looks good. Murphys' Law indicates that if you make them hard to remove, you will want to replace them relatively soon. If, however, you make them easily removable, they will still look good many years from now.

-John (Murphy's Law Disciple)

I used them for the same reason, but I used the rivets. I'll have to look and see about the dimpling. Never gave it much thought.

Thanks.... now I'll be self conscious..:smilielol5:

I mounted 3M Clearbra/ LLumar12 to my rear fenders beneath the aluminum stone guards. The stone guards have been thoroughly sand blasted, and the surrounding paint is untouched. It was a little fiddly going on but is definitely worth the frustration.

p.

Depending on where you drive, the stone guards can look worse for wear after a while and will really stand out if the rest of the car still looks good. Murphys' Law indicates that if you make them hard to remove, you will want to replace them relatively soon. If, however, you make them easily removable, they will still look good many years from now.

-John (Murphy's Law Disciple)

Sadly John, your explanation rings true to me...

I used them for the same reason, but I used the rivets. I'll have to look and see about the dimpling. Never gave it much thought.

Thanks.... now I'll be self conscious..:smilielol5:

I liked Vovchandr's response to my comment about the front wings, these little things just highlight that the Seven is a car made by hand. Pretty much lemon/lemonade thinking, but it works for me.

I mounted 3M Clearbra/ LLumar12 to my rear fenders beneath the aluminum stone guards. The stone guards have been thoroughly sand blasted, and the surrounding paint is untouched. It was a little fiddly going on but is definitely worth the frustration.

p.

I was wondering about that, and have been looking at a film or perhaps a leading edge tape. I've not used either before so am stuck in that dark place of research and comparison...

I have the 3M clear film on my carbon wings. Survived 10 years fairly well.

179d8fd961108a4e9a35fd5455adc0f9.jpg

It’s dirty (sorry) but the film is intact. I have never used the stone guards.

I have the 3M clear film on my carbon wings. Survived 10 years fairly well.

It’s dirty (sorry) but the film is intact. I have never used the stone guards.

Looks like the clear film (and the dead bugs) go much further up the wing than the stone guards do. That makes me think that I should apply the film not just along the side but also above the stone guards.

Yes. The film on mine goes to the top of the wing and around the sides. The Caterham stone protectors - metal or carbon are too small to protect the wing fully.

Driver side. Aluminum guard on 3M LLumar covered fiberglass wheel arch (dirt, bugs, & etc) included

Silenced on passenger side shields it from many debris.

I also have a set of lexan mud flaps on cycle fenders which is an enormous help

[/ATTACH]7BBF847F-EF10-4D24-A9D4-5C7E2C3600B0.jpg

If you are going to apply clear film, this site sells Caterham specific pieces.

https://premierpaintguard.com/caterham_paint_protection_film.html

Thanks for the lead! I've reached out to make sure they don't mind shipping from the UK and I also had a question about the nose cone kit. Having pre-cut would seem to reduce the risk of getting it wrong and the resulting frustration.

Driver side. Aluminum guard on 3M LLumar covered fiberglass wheel arch (dirt, bugs, & etc) included

[/ATTACH]

I had no idea the rear wings took such abuse. With the body red I opted for red wings too as I didn't like the color contrast with the carbon fiber wings, but I can see now see why carbon fiber is a good choice.

Another option that many do not like the look of, but is protective, is covering the front half of the rear wings with truck bed liner paint like LineX It stands up well to the abuse wings get over time.

[/ATTACH]

Oh. please show us a picture of the mud flaps. Sounds like a good idea. Are they removable?

I also did mud flaps. I cut them to size out of a pair intended for a truck and attached them to the base of the fender with the same style dome head fasteners used to attach the fender to the stays. They work well, but over the years they have arched backward a bit from air flow and should probably be replaced. I suppose I drive too fast :) If you look closely, you can just make one out in this picture.

Edited: one advantage to working from home is I can pop into the garage to take photos. I've replaced the picture mentioned above with a couple of closeups. Quality isn't great, but I'm supposed to be working at the moment.

mud flap 1.jpg

mud flap 3.jpg

-John

Edited by JohnCh
swapped photos

Clearly referring to me as I have goofed off work.

I would not dare instruct the Croc on his work (?) habits. I was just thanking John for posting the mud flap pictures. I do hope John also has the sense of humor.

The line "looking good" should have been your tip off that it wasn't about you.