Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
On 9/1/2026 at 10:51 PM, Jasper_72 said:

New member from Atlanta, GA, seeking my first Seven. I tried buying a Westfield last year but after wiring money, the guy never shipped the car. Finally got my money back a few months later after threatening legal action. I’ve been a little slow to pull the trigger since then and seem to have a knack for finding a car listed for 7 or 8 months and within a week of expressing interest it’s gobbled up. So if you’re having a hard time finding a buyer, let me know.
 

I’m not entirely sure the best fit for me. I would prefer a properly sorted Caterham but am open to pretty much anything if the quality and price is right. I’m looking for something I can drive on the road and perhaps an occasional track day. 
 

Thanks for providing such a great resource. 

Up in Greenville, SC. Holler whenever. I know a bit about 7s. 

Posted

Sergio,

That is a very cool/interesting display..... I was stationed in Vicenza in the mid 70's with the Airborne unit there...had an apartment in Torre di Quartesolo and loved it there, spent 3 years.

I bought a 3500 GTI while there and really enjoyed the roads once I figured out the lines only indicated the direction and not a lane :)...great story

IMG_0501 1.jpg

  • Like 1
Posted
On 22/09/2026 at 17:51, Reiver said:

Sergio,

Questa è una mostra davvero fantastica/interessante..... Ero di stanza a Vicenza a metà degli anni '70 con l'unità aviotrasportata...avevo un appartamento a Torre di Quartesolo e mi piaceva molto, ci ho passato 3 anni.

Ho comprato una 3500 GTI mentre ero lì e mi sono davvero goduto le strade una volta capito che le linee indicavano solo la direzione e non la corsia :) ...bella storia

IMG_0501 1.jpg

Reiver, what a wonderful photograph — and an even better story.
A Maserati 3500 GTI in Italy in the 1970s... I think you chose a very good way to discover our roads!

Your comment about understanding that the lines showed the direction rather than the lane made me laugh.

This is exactly what fascinates me about cars: after many years we don't really remember just the machine. We remember the roads, the places, the people and a particular moment of our lives.

Do you remember where this photograph was taken? And what happened to the Maserati when you left Italy?

Posted

Since we're telling each other a little about ourselves, I thought I'd show you how I enjoy my Caterham these days.

I don't really go to the track anymore. On Sunday mornings I sometimes take it to a classic car gathering in Piazza Affari, in the centre of Milan. But in the afternoon I often leave the city behind and head north, looking for the small roads and beautiful places of the upper Brianza.

It's an area of hills, small villages, woods and winding roads just north of Milan. Sometimes you turn a corner and suddenly the landscape opens up in front of you.

This is what I love about driving a Seven here. You don't need to go fast. You're almost inside the landscape — you feel the air, the smells, even the change in temperature when you enter the woods.

Here are a few photographs from some of my Sunday drives.

I'm curious: how about you? Do you still look for the track, or do you sometimes just take your Seven out and see where the road takes you?

a32890cc-76ac-4721-9930-6c9cf1f445ff.png

12eeb689-2ada-43fa-bb3e-844d5bbe47f1.png

b45db60a-91be-4342-a8fc-7dd1dc25c5e3.png

0ebe0ef9-9422-48d8-8f70-ca0bb3a6b3d3.png

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, sergio brambillasca said:

Reiver, what a wonderful photograph — and an even better story.
A Maserati 3500 GTI in Italy in the 1970s... I think you chose a very good way to discover our roads!

Your comment about understanding that the lines showed the direction rather than the lane made me laugh.

This is exactly what fascinates me about cars: after many years we don't really remember just the machine. We remember the roads, the places, the people and a particular moment of our lives.

Do you remember where this photograph was taken? And what happened to the Maserati when you left Italy?

 That was downtown Vicenza in front of the Palladio (the building designed by Palladio right off of the town square) before going into the city square for cappuccino... I brought the Maser home with me but had to sell in the early 80's because I could not find parts here (pre internet)...  if I could have one car back it would be that one,  I'd drive it up to Germany, thru the Brenner pass and stop in Austria for coffee.... just wonderful.  The Austrian border guards always searched my car given my age etc...I had to be concealing something. 

I drove it to the Monaca GP in '78 and stayed at a pensione on the Italian side to save money. 

I loved Italy, the people and really miss the food... I am addicted to tortellini.... one of the best times of my life.

Great cars have always been central to me..... you too it appears.

Edited by Reiver
  • Like 1
Posted

Sergio, You will get this

 

I was late one morning for physical training...about 5:45 am driving to post from Tori and speeding greatly...about 110 mph and there was no traffic but one Carabinieri cycle cop ...he was waving his circular 'stop' paddle so I pulled over.... he was pretty relaxed and was more interested in the car than anything.  He wrote me a ticket (you paid in cash then) and I didn't have enough (any) money on me.... so he asked how much I had, ripped up the ticket, and wrote me one for about 2 mille.... lol..... most excellent.... 

Posted
7 hours ago, Reiver said:

Sergio, lo otterrai

 

Una mattina ero in ritardo per l'allenamento fisico... erano circa le 5:45, stavo andando in macchina da Torino alla caserma e andavo a tutta velocità... circa 177 km/h e non c'era traffico tranne un Carabiniere in bicicletta... mi stava agitando la paletta circolare di "stop" così mi sono fermato... era piuttosto rilassato ed era più interessato alla macchina che a qualsiasi altra cosa. Mi ha fatto una multa (all'epoca si pagava in contanti) e io non avevo abbastanza (anzi, nessun) soldo con me... così mi ha chiesto quanti soldi avessi, ha strappato la multa e me ne ha fatta una da circa 2 mila... lol... davvero eccellente... 

 

Reiver, your story about the Carabiniere reminded me of something that happened to my Caterham.

I'm attaching a photograph of the art gallery I had in Chioggia, near Venice. If you look at the right-hand side of the photo, you can see where I used to park the Caterham, practically next to the gallery.

One day, an English tourist — a rather large lady — decided that the rear fender of my Caterham was the perfect place to sit for a photograph.

When I saw her, I just froze. 😂

The problem was that the fender wasn't metal, but fiberglass. When she stood up, the paint had cracked.

She was terribly embarrassed and apologized. Of course, she couldn't have known how delicate it was. In the end, I couldn't even get angry with her. We started talking, went into the gallery, and that little disaster ended very differently from how it had begun: we became friends, and she even bought one of my paintings.

So my Caterham cost me a fender repair... but it also sold a work of art for me. To this day, I'm still not sure whether I came out ahead or behind. 😄

Sergio

494832891_4070220969859152_4140730259385248704_n.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1
Posted
11 hours ago, CBuff said:

Perché non fare entrambe le cose?

image.thumb.jpeg.0f037b2360b33700a20bd34dd0b850be.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.e27fdb605025ad229805a588640c587e.jpeg
 

image.thumb.jpeg.fb05251a49dfb8f647be3b2184323ece.jpeg

CBuff, you're right — why choose?

Looking at your photos makes me want to get back on a track again!

But there's one thing that has changed for me over the years. On a track I remember the lap times, the braking points and the lines. On the road, I tend to remember the places and the people I met along the way.

Maybe that's one of the wonderful things about a Seven: the same car can give you two completely different experiences.

By the way, where were the first two photos taken? That road looks fantastic.

Posted
11 hours ago, CBuff said:

Perché non fare entrambe le cose?

image.thumb.jpeg.0f037b2360b33700a20bd34dd0b850be.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.e27fdb605025ad229805a588640c587e.jpeg
 

image.thumb.jpeg.fb05251a49dfb8f647be3b2184323ece.jpeg

 

CBuff, that road really caught my attention. Looking at the rock face, the stone wall and the water in the background, I tried to figure out where it might be.

Is that Bear Mountain Bridge Road along the Hudson, by any chance?

I've never been to that part of the world, but from your photos it looks like a fantastic road to drive in a Seven.

Posted
9 hours ago, CBuff said:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/sfXd2QxFPUYdaYVF9?g_st=ic
 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_King_Highway

 

Impressionante, ci sei quasi arrivato. Appena a nord del ponte di Bear Mountain. 
 

Now I understand! Storm King Highway. I was close, but not quite there. 😄
Looking at your photos, I can see why you drive your Seven there. That road seems made for a car like ours.
I’ve never been there, but now you’ve given me another road to add to my list.
This is one of the things I like about this forum: you start talking about a car, and suddenly you discover a road on the other side of the world.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...