So, tell us a little about yourselves

slngsht

1 hour ago, JohnCh said:

start a thread in the Build section

Prompted me to question…. What are your thoughts about posting a single build thread with questions/considerations along the way vs. induvial questions in general tech?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ok7 said:

What are your thoughts about posting a single build thread with questions/considerations along the way vs. induvial questions in general tech?

I find a hybrid approach is best.  Use a single thread to document the build and ask questions along the way.  When you run into an issue that is more of a standalone problem not necessarily unique to you, and you aren't getting an answer in the thread, then it is useful to broaden the net with a new post and update your build thread with the answer or a link to that other thread.  This way your build remains fully documented in a single thread, but when needed, you can get more eyeballs on the problem.  That standalone thread may also be easier for others to find in the future via search if they are running into the same problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself.  Just picked up my 420R from Beachman Racing the day before Thanksgiving.  Haven't had much chance to drive with the weather but so far have been excited each time I've taken it out.

After looking at my driveway, I think I have a British car problem.  The Caterham will sit next to an Elise and a LR3 and LR4.  Yes, I don't make great life choices but better to be happy than rich.

Looking forward to digging through the forum to learn more about the car.  I'll be using it as a track car once it's broken in.

Emil

20221127_144834.jpg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, IH102 said:

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself.  Just picked up my 420R from Beachman Racing the day before Thanksgiving.  Haven't had much chance to drive with the weather but so far have been excited each time I've taken it out.

After looking at my driveway, I think I have a British car problem.  The Caterham will sit next to an Elise and a LR3 and LR4.  Yes, I don't make great life choices but better to be happy than rich.

Looking forward to digging through the forum to learn more about the car.  I'll be using it as a track car once it's broken in.

Emil

20221127_144834.jpg

Congratulations, I look forward to seeing you on the road when the sun comes out.

• Thanks 1

I have never owned a 7 but am interested in building a replica some day if time allows. I have built several custom motorcycles and as I have aged I have switched to hot rods. My son and I built a 32 Ford coupe started when he was thirteen and finished 12 years ago. He also has a 50 Studebaker that we are in the process of updating with a new engine. I have a 29 Ford pickup with S-10 running gear and mustang 2 front suspension. I am currently working on a 23 roadster. The first 7 I saw was in a Poplar Mechanics about 1962 or 63. I was about 12 and was smitten with the idea of a car you put together yourself.

IMG_1370.JPG

LAST CRUISE B4 COLLEGE 014.jpg

FIRST PICS 067.jpg

• Like 3

welcome, you will be surprised how simple the 7 is to build. I did mine in a bout 500 hours working time. there's photos of what and how I did things .

all I can say is plan the peddle box area real good, it doesn't have very much room if you have big feet. 

14 hours ago, Alex-Ks1 said:

welcome, you will be surprised how simple the 7 is to build. I did mine in a bout 500 hours working time. there's photos of what and how I did things .

all I can say is plan the peddle box area real good, it doesn't have very much room if you have big feet. 

Even if you cannot learn to weld, you can learn to prep and clamp the parts for a welder to come to you.  And ditto on the pedal box from the boy with 13s.  john

I believe I have every book on building Seven replicas. The top two imho are Jim Dudley's/ Veloce Publishing "How to build a Tiger Avon or GTA" and Chris Gibbs /Haynes "Build your own sportscar". The least useful is Tanner's book but all of them provide some information not covered elsewhere. Information is gold.

There are a number of general plans of different sizes to accommodate different drive trains. Some single donor vehicles include miata, s10, dakota, pinto, mustang, etc.

On 12/18/2022 at 11:33 AM, IH102 said:

Hello,

Emil

20221127_144834.jpg

Emil, pretty sure I met you at Bruce's party.

Excellent lil car. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2022 at 5:14 AM, MV8 said:

I believe I have every book on building Seven replicas. The top two imho are Jim Dudley's/ Veloce Publishing "How to build a Tiger Avon or GTA" and Chris Gibbs /Haynes "Build your own sportscar". The least useful is Tanner's book but all of them provide some information not covered elsewhere. Information is gold.

There are a number of general plans of different sizes to accommodate different drive trains. Some single donor vehicles include miata, s10, dakota, pinto, mustang, etc.

Do you have the Midlana book?  It's not quite a Seven, but is very much on the spectrum, just that it's mid-engine, with a FWD drivetrain.  It was a blog that I read, and the builder wrote a book as he built, which he then published.  He also maintains a forum for other builders.  One other is complete, several others in progress.  The original car sold on Bring-a-Trailer, it has a 500 hp turbo Honda drivetrain.  I really enjoyed reading the book, well writen and the car design well thought out.  It's at midlana.com

Edited by DavidL

Hi David,

That's Kurt. We've been on the locostusa for well over a decade now. I'm sure my input is in the book here and there from our conversations. He sent me a copy of the mini build book but I don't have the midlana book. I've had a few fieros (still have one with a 4.3l v6-90 and a chevy cobalt 5spd) that fulfills my needs though much heavier of course at about 2500lbs and cg like a 911. None ever exploded or caught fire but were cheap because of the reputation. I used to get yelled at regularly be people who felt I was an idiot for driving one (at least that is what they'd shout driving by). I'm an old mechanic, so I fix/reengineer things so they don't go boom. Never been a honda guy though.

I bought Ant Anstead's book too, along with pod published morgan build and other small car builds. I buy the books for entertainment.

If you are interested in books on designing chassis and suspension, Carroll Smith and Allan Staniforth are the primaries imho.       

Agreed on Midlana.  A very cool project and a brilliant result.  A true labor of love.

Kurt with Midlana out in the wild:

spacer.png

Midlana was a project that grew out of a long running lunchtime conversation at work that Kurt was having with another colleague (Lee Kaiser, designer of the Rotus Seven) and myself.  Kurt was contemplating his next project after finishing up Kimini (see Kimini.com).  The genesis for Kurt seemed to have come together during or by the time we were driving from San Diego across northern Arizona & New Mexico to LOG 27 in Colorado.  At the time I was still searching for a Lotus Seven project that fit within my limited budget (which I found a couple of months after our return).  At some point we got to discussing what would Colin Chapman design in the vein of a Seven in 2007 vs what was done on that fateful Sunday in 1957?  His summary was that if following Chapman's original logic of using a low cost readily available power plant it would now be mid-engined using a sidewinder FWD drivetrain. 

Kurt at the wheel back in '07:

spacer.png

• Like 1

It's a small world in that field. My work is related. I recently found some old pics from around 2007 or so that were posted on locostusa of a sevenesqe middy based on a vw rabbit and it was pulled off fairly well. Some parts needed massaging and moving around to look right imho.

Rabbit middy locost mods.jpg

2687368479_8af921eb32_o.jpg

2687368617_c74e2819c4_o.jpg

2688182512_0f1f0926c0_o.jpg

Very interesting car.  It is much more well proportioned, especially with the long nose fitted, than I would have initially thought.

I bet the passenger's right foot can be heat treated with those coolant tubes in the cockpit!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 6:29 AM, MV8 said:

Hi David,

That's Kurt. We've been on the locostusa for well over a decade now. I'm sure my input is in the book here and there from our conversations. He sent me a copy of the mini build book but I don't have the midlana book. I've had a few fieros (still have one with a 4.3l v6-90 and a chevy cobalt 5spd) that fulfills my needs though much heavier of course at about 2500lbs and cg like a 911. None ever exploded or caught fire but were cheap because of the reputation. I used to get yelled at regularly be people who felt I was an idiot for driving one (at least that is what they'd shout driving by). I'm an old mechanic, so I fix/reengineer things so they don't go boom. Never been a honda guy though.

I bought Ant Anstead's book too, along with pod published morgan build and other small car builds. I buy the books for entertainment.

If you are interested in books on designing chassis and suspension, Carroll Smith and Allan Staniforth are the primaries imho.       

Based on your comment here I just bought and received the Kimini, Midlana and Ant Anstead books.  Very interesting reads and I'm changing the roll bar mounted brake light on my Ecoboost Stalker to one described in the Kimini book for increased visibility and distracted driver attention getting.  Good stuff!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vipergeek said:

Based on your comment here I just bought and received the Kimini, Midlana and Ant Anstead books.  Very interesting reads and I'm changing the roll bar mounted brake light on my Ecoboost Stalker to one described in the Kimini book for increased visibility and distracted driver attention getting.  Good stuff!  

For those of us without the Kimini book, which brake light are you looking at?

I have controller on the Westfield that flashes the third-brake light three times upon initial application.  Very, very effective.  As I'm sure many of you have experienced, there is always that one idiot who wants to ride your tail at speed so they can get a close look at the funny little car ahead.  Prior to installing that controller, I would typically have to tap the brakes 2 or 3 times before the person would get the hint they were too damn close.  After installation, I rarely have to tap the brakes more than once.  I have a BackOff (first link in MV8's post) ready to go into the Caterham.

-John