FIRST-TIME 7 PURCHASE ADVICE WANTED

Avery Waterman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"off brand" Quality, reliability....hmmmmmm.

I get in my Ultralite, turn the key, and that bulletproof Honda starts every time. In the past year, I have worked on/replaced....... Hmmmmmm, let me see now.......... NOTHING.:thumbs:

In the year before that, I replaced a faulty Wilwood caliper, and for lack of anything to fix on the car I added a temperature controlled relay for the radiator fan. Oh yeah, I did regrease a U Joint.

4 years, two sets of rear tires :D :d (big grin factor on using up the rears)

I have frequently changed the oil,(it gives me something to do) and someday I may look at the spark plugs, but no rush, they only need changing every 100,000 miles. No "carb balance" required with fuel injection. Oh, did I mention the stock honda ECU has altitude compensation, so no re-jetting is required. There are some advantages to a stock engine-ecu-cat combo which includes the 240 hp at 9000rpm it delivers.

Don't get me wrong, I would give up some of the performance for a new Caterham SV with all the weather accoutrements and the highly massaged engine, but I personally simply can't justify the cost. I will grant the Caterham has the provenance of the Lotus line, and I respect those for whom this is the more important aspect of seven ownership. I simply love them all.:hurray:

Terry,

:bs:

Your probably just trying to get a rise from everyone... come on, "..does not compare to a Caterham in any way..." really?:rofl:

funny stuff...

Terry,

:bs:

Your probably just trying to get a rise from everyone... come on, "..does not compare to a Caterham in any way..." really?:rofl:

funny stuff...

Dead right and it did. Light the blue touch paper and stand well clear.

Jeremy Clarkson says if you want a responce ask and English man if you want a reaction ask an American.

UM.....! I think he's right.

DONT GET GET OFFENDED LIVES TO SHORT. IT ALSO A CHOICE.....!

LOL

Well, I guess then we are all English. I think this was a well balanced and civilized discussion for a car forum in spite of a minor trolling attempt. Given the snobbishness on some other Se7ens related groups we are so well-behaved, it is scary. No flaming, no name calling....are we all just too old? :jester:

Gert

evotell, how are you defining quality? specifically, what are the specific areas where Caterham is above everyone else? I can understand your point about heritage, but are you also claiming that S1 through S4 Lotus 7s are of higher build quality than what you can buy from WCM / Stalker / Westfield / Birkin? Does this higher quality include better reliability? durability? factory support? Better availability of parts? I know of a handful of local caterham owners, and just in the last 3 years I have known them, there have been 2 caterham 6 speed gearbox failures. and it's not like you can drop it off at the dealer and pick it up next week. Car is down for extended periods of time. How long does it take to get Caterham's heated windshields on a customer car from the day the order is placed at the factory?

Your original argument was that Caterham holds its value much better. Now everything else is just inferior. To avoid another long series of responses, you should qualify your statements... like you can buy a brand new caterham for 59K, and here is a fine used example for 45K... or here is WHY caterham is a higher quality product. People only get offended when there is an unsubstantiated statement.

Take a look at the abuse that Kevin and company have subjected their ultralite to, and how in event after event Stalkers (with their very low tech pushrod V6's) clean up at autocrosses. To me, these provide real world proof that the products sold by these companies are not just inferior things you buy when you can't pony up for a Caterham.

Terry,

As a fellow countryman, I await your response to the above questions that Mazda has posed. I to looked at a Caterham fist off from both Canadian suppliers (Ont. & BC), but decided on a clone as I did not see a difference in value for the huge difference price.

Dead right and it did. Light the blue touch paper and stand well clear.

Jeremy Clarkson says if you want a responce ask and English man if you want a reaction ask an American.

UM.....! I think he's right.

DONT GET GET OFFENDED LIVES TO SHORT. IT ALSO A CHOICE.....!

LOL

If you want a reaction, post on the Lotus 7 list that a birkin is superior :rofl:

I have frequently changed the oil,(it gives me something to do) and someday I may look at the spark plugs, but no rush, they only need changing every 100,000 miles. No "carb balance" required with fuel injection. Oh, did I mention the stock honda ECU has altitude compensation, so no re-jetting is required. There are some advantages to a stock engine-ecu-cat combo which includes the 240 hp at 9000rpm it delivers.

I am having a hard time finding the carbs on my Caterham, could someone tell me where to look? And wutz this thing you call an ECU, does my Zeeetak have one? http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/1209.gif

"If you want a reaction, post on the Lotus 7 list that a birkin is superior :rofl: " - I thought it was??? :D

"I simply love them all :hurray:" - I agree Jerry. Nice write-up on the Ultralite too! :)

Bruce :7drive:

I am having a hard time finding the carbs on my Caterham, could someone tell me where to look? And wutz this thing you call an ECU, does my Zeeetak have one? http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/1209.gif

Oops, I forgot that the newer Caterhams have the fuel injection, (as have some earlier ones which have been converted). And if you can't find your ECU, no matter, you don't have to touch it either. :o :o

As to the comparison of English and American responses/reactions:

Response- 1)An act or instance of responding by an answer 2) any reaction that results from stimulation

Reaction- 1) an action in a reverse direction or manner, 2) movement in the direction of extreme political conservatism 3) action in response to a stimulus

Yep, the stimulation did indeed produce a reaction in a reverse direction, so I guess the statement "Jeremy Clarkson says if you want a response ask an Englishman, if you want a reaction ask an American." is at least true for an American.:lol:

Now here's the real question in this case........ Are our Canadian cohorts Englishmen or Americans? :D :d

Now here's the real question in this case........ Are our Canadian cohorts Englishmen or Americans? :D :d

With all due respect neither they are Cankoonk's :crazy: or claim to be French :crazy: :jester: :D :jester: :rofl: ;)

I'm afraid that Canadians have a major identity problem, ask most Canadians who they are and they will say "we're not American's"

Great:_deadhorse:

Oops, I forgot that the newer Caterhams have the fuel injection, (as have some earlier ones which have been converted). And if you can't find your ECU, no matter, you don't have to touch it either. :o :o

As to the comparison of English and American responses/reactions:

Response- 1)An act or instance of responding by an answer 2) any reaction that results from stimulation

Reaction- 1) an action in a reverse direction or manner, 2) movement in the direction of extreme political conservatism 3) action in response to a stimulus

Yep, the stimulation did indeed produce a reaction in a reverse direction, so I guess the statement "Jeremy Clarkson says if you want a response ask an Englishman, if you want a reaction ask an American." is at least true for an American.:lol:

But a Birkin they're much better. If you don't believe that but a Locost, even better:banghead:

You can't be possibly be serious.

Look at the frame work the welding and thee alloy work on a Caterham then look at the same on a Stalker, Locost, Birkin. I looked at a stalker last week its absolutely dreadful.

We need to remember that the reason that there are so many copies is the real artical the Caterham is so bloody expencive. I agree it is. But please lets not now try and convince ourselves that all are equal. Deception is a deadly poison.

Hey if that's what you want, it turns your crank and you think its cool go buy one.

The reason people don't buy the Caterham is always the money which I totally understand, the Caterham is bloody expensive. If you spend 50 grand on a Caterham in 2 years it would be worth 30/35 if you spend the same on a Locost it would be worth 18/25 If you don't believe me ask all the classic and sports cars dealers and most wouldn't even touch a Caterham let alone the cheaper copies.

Having been in the Lotus7/Caterham business since 1975 and have had over 200 of them I think it is just a possibility that I could be on the right track. However I have been wrong before.

In the end my fake Rolex may look the same as yours BUT IT ISN'T its just a fake.

TERRY:banghead:

Terry, Terry, Terry...

A reminder that is a marque-inclusive forum. As a matter of fact, the USA7s Club does think all Se7ens are equal.

All owners and enthusiasts are welcome here. We try not to make comparative statements...everyone has their preferences and reasons why they buy what they do.

Whether you like it or not, comparative statements can be alienating — something I can confidently say USA7s is against. So please, stop with the "Caterham is the best" rhetoric. As a former Caterham owner and longtime GMT-Master custodian myself, I'm embarrassed for you.

Finally, to distill it down to just $ is a bit presumptuous of you. I know plenty of guys who have other marque cars who could definitely afford a Cat, but just didn't go that route.

British- response, American - Reaction

As an ex Canadian living in the states for 30 years I now understand better my American wife. Lots of Reaction, less response.

Now which 7 is more American ?, the Brunton chevy powered,

the Canadian ? Hayabusa powered ?

Tough choices ahead, tending towards Brunton.

Greatly enjoy the forum.

USA7s Club does think all Se7ens are equal.

Al...I don't disagree with you often, but this statement can not be true. All owners may be equal, but there are so many variants of Sevens, it is not possible for them to be equal in terms of performance, reliability or value.

If there are members that have owned many of those variants and can articulate the factual differences (good & bad), I am interested to hear about it. I am also interested in hearing the responses

I think opinions, based on speculation or heresay, is where people get into trouble.

Sorry JBH, but in this particular situation I can't get past the fact that Terry is a vendor whose business is to sell used Lotus 7s and Caterhams, and who uses this forum to promote that business. I think it is inappropriate for someone in that position to paint a competitive product in a negative light. He didn’t simply write that he thinks Caterhams are worth the price difference and excel in specific areas. Rather he wrote some very negative comments about other brands.

-John

Al...I don't disagree with you often, but this statement can not be true. All owners may be equal, but there are so many variants of Sevens, it is not possible for them to be equal in terms of performance, reliability or value.

If there are members that have owned many of those variants and can articulate the factual differences (good & bad), I am interested to hear about it. I am also interested in hearing the responses

I think opinions, based on speculation or heresay, is where people get into trouble.

Jeff...of course certain cars have advantages/disadvantages in all the categories you list. The real issue I have is with Terry's putting one marque up on a pedestal while slagging off on others. This club was founded to give people who weren't interested in hierarchical discussions or attitudes a home. A place to feel welcome. There are several online outlets for people who share Terry's Caterham uber alles POV (I can think of 2 in particular), and frankly I hope this place doesn't become one of them.

Additionally bothersome is Terry's rekindling (and admittedly, my taking the bait) of a thread that I thought had come to some level of detente. Would he tell Dennis Brunton to his face that a Stalker "is absolutely dreadful"? Probably not. So what's the point of doing it here? The fact that he's a vendor doesn't help.