Newbie introduction

rzempel

I finally joined USA7, and thought it civil to introduce myself. I have also been asked to

tell the tale of my purchasing a Birkin in Chicago and driving it home, this past October. So....

I apologize in advance, if this is too long for this forum. Excuse it as a newbie faux pas if it is, and please let me know if I have

violated any unwritten rules.

Randall

The plan was simple. Fly to Chicago, buy a Birkin S-3, and drive it two thousand miles across country. Simple enough, but as with many things, the devil is in the details. I didn't want to wait, and take the chance someone else would buy the car before I could. So, I took a week-long vacation and flew to Chicago on Sunday. I don't know how I could explain to any sane person why I was in Chicago, to buy a car based on four pictures, a scant advertisement, and a single phone call. Especially if that mythical sane person already knew of my earlier trip to Garden City, Kansas to do the same thing based on the same precursors, and finding that the car was not as depicted. But, after an uneventful flight, two train rides, and a moderate walk to the hotel, I wondered (not for the first time) what I would find.

Bright and early...well, actually, the sun wasn't over the horizon, yet, so it was still pretty dark...on Monday morning, I set out to

meet the car. The world is full of enablers. Instead of making me walk back to the train station, and take a train just one stop, the

hotel manager asked the guy cleaning the floor to take me where I needed to go. It was still about an hour and a half before I had

arranged to arrive at the seller's house, and I didn't want to try explaining why I was in Chicago to buy a car based on four pictures, a scanty ad, etc. So I told the floor cleaning guy to drop me at the next train station. Fortunately, the seller lived about a half mile away. So, I got a quick ride to the village of Flossmoor, Illinois. I walked around the town center, and enjoyed all of the renovated old brick buildings. That took about fifteen minutes, then I began a leisurely stroll to the seller's house. With my pre-printed map in hand, it was easy to find my way. Until I walked down the wrong street, thinking I was one block further than I was.

As I walked down the street, I looked at the numbers, as one does when one is looking for a particular address. Imagine my surprise, when the number I was looking for wasn't there. Visions of Garden City began flashing in my head. It didn't take too long to decide the best course of action was to go to the end of the block and confirm I was on the right street. Naturally, I wasn't. The right street was where the map showed it to be, thankfully. So, with a lighter, but still leisurely step, I moseyed towards the seller's house. I was still early when I arrived, but I waked up and introduced myself, anyway. He was gracious enough to not suggest I invest in a better alarm clock.

He and I looked over the car, talked about the stuff that came with it, and took it for a drive. The car was, and is, stunning. It looks much better in person than in the pictures. And it looks really good in the pictures. When I drove it, I confirmed two things. First, I fit really well into the car. That was important. I didn't fit so well in the Seven I looked at in North Carolina, so I was a little bit concerned. I actually had to move the seat forward about two inches. The peddles need some adjustment to be perfect, but they are designed to be easily adjusted, so no problems there. The second thing I confirmed was that I am completely and utterly insane.

That car is a sports car on steroids. No, that's wrong. Steroids not only enhance performance, they build bulk. There's no bulk on this car. It's like a skinny little guy so buzzing with adrenaline that he can lift train cars. Wow. The Porsche is so balanced that it

responds without too much active thought by the driver. Sort of a bio-mechanical extension of the driver. An equal partner in the

enjoyment of sport driving. Not so the Birkin. That's more like an ang

Randall - I enjoyed your account on the Birkinowners group but I always seem to be about 3 days behind on my e-mails at home so I'm seldom able to respond. Thanks for sharing your adventure here as well, you are definitely a true se7en enthusiast!! :)

Bruce :7drive:

Great trip. We did the opposite this year. We did a round trip from Houston to San Antonio in the middle of Texas summer to participate in a children diabetic charity drive. The sun, 110 degree heat, and heatsoak from the Caterham just about killed us on the way back. We have wet towels wrapped around our neck and head to keep us from dying from heat stroke. We never knew a human body can hold so many quart size bottles of Gatorade.

Randall,

Welcome to the site. Your story has let all of us

know that you are not right, so you will fit in here

fine. That trip sure got you in touch with your new 7,

Enjoy it often!!!!

Steve:cheers: Randall I almost forgot, Thats a Great looking 7!!:yesnod:

that was a fantastic adventure, very inspiring. I'm flying out to texas on friday and with some luck..... and a fist lull pf dollars . I too will attempt to take the adventurous path home to New Jersay in a 7

i've packed some light weight ski clothes in a small duffle bag. I'm a little worried to say the least but. we only live once.

IM glad to see that there are other nut cases out there and now i dont feel so lonely. Ill CHeck the fastners.

thank you Randal

jack

Ah, someone who likes long distance touring in a Se7en. You should head out to LOG 29 in Birmingham, Alabama (May 28 - June 1, 2009) http://www.log29.org/

There are also a couple of Se7en only events that are in the planning stages Branson, Missouri (see the 2009 National Meet-Announcement in this forum) and Texas event by the famous (infamous? :jester: ) Dick Brink

Sounds like an excellent trip. I can sympathise with you on the cold temps in the mountains. If you ever think you might do some more adventure runs in the cold I would highly recommend buying a heated motorcycle jacket. If you get cold just turn up the thermostat. Happy motoring in the Birkin. Hopefully you can come to the national event in Branson next year.

I hope you dont mind me introducing myself here as well. I think I have you beat. I picked mine up in Portland Or on Nov 1 08 with baldish tires to start and then drove to Houston TX. I still need more time to do my write up but thought you would appreciate there are other crazies out there

Randall:

Welcome to the USA7s forum. We are very happy to have you here.

The write up was terrific. No, it's not too long, the longer the better. You seem to be a good writer, perhaps you can contribute to the forum's newsletter.

You have an the wonderful experience of a seven on a very long trip with no problems. While these are fun cars they are in need of occasional tinkering.

I agree that a trip through the mountains in the West in a roofless car is the best way to see this country.

I am happy that your first experience with your seven was so positive for you.

Drive it like you stole it!

Great story telling! Of course having a great topic (the Seven) helps:).

Makes my 700 mile trip back from NJ in my newly purchased Caterham seem tame (And, I think I had 6 pre-purchase pictures to look at).

Adding a heater would enhance the experience. I have used mine extensively.

Ditto new tires-they were the single best expense in my nearly continuous series of "improvements" over the last 18 months. They really quieted down the squirrely handling you have described. A characteristic my Seven, on 10 year old street tires, shared.

Mike

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. It's reassuring to know I'm not the craziest guy around. Driving a 7 wrapped up like a damp mummy doesn't sound fun at all.... But, the trip from Portland to San Antonio sounds fun. Good Luck, and have fun, Jack--let us know how it goes. I like the idea of heated motorcycle clothing--I'm sure my wife would love it. I just need to wire in a power outlet. I'll see if I can get to Branson and/or Birmingham, but I'm not overly optimistic right now.

I'll be happy to contribute to a newsletter. Just let me know what to do.

I'm comfortable with tinkering...I own a few old Triumph cars, also. You may be familiar with their huge tinkering reputation. And, in the distant past, I built my own race motorcycle (google XL/TZ for the story, if you're curious). I think I'm either blessed or cursed with the tinker gene.

Besides removing the nitrous system from my Birkin, I've already re-routed the coolant hoses (no water rail on my car), replaced the thermostat, installed a coolant recovery system, repaired the non-operating radiator fan, replaced the front brake rotors, made a cocobolo shift knob, replaced the lower switch panel with a shop-built panel, and put new light wheels on her. And the list keeps growing. :-)

Randall

It was as nightmereish at times as yours except I had a heater. But I also had a leak at the windsheild wiper. The previous owned told me she liked to mark her spot. I figured it was with oil not on my leg.

I have to give a big thanks to the board I found my car on here as a side note.

Randall, great story! Reminds me of a couple of trips we’ve taken with the Westfield. Nothing quite like driving a se7en on a busy freeway in the pouring rain to make you feel alive ;)

Matt, good hear you made it back to TX. Looking forward to seeing a thread about your trip home!

-John