Jump to content

yellowss7

Club Member
  • Posts

    3,100
  • Joined

Everything posted by yellowss7

  1. Hi Michael. Tomorrow is a members day. There is a group running on Thurday, Oct. 20th on Thunderbolt that I am hoping to do, weather permitting. They are also running an East Coast Lotus cup event as part of the day, so you can be timed and compete in the Lotus cup event too as they accept Caterhams as part of the family. Here's the info on the event. Tom Join Sports and Specialists for a track day at NJMP HPDE track day on Thunderbolt at NJMP. $300 per car and driver. Additional driver $198. Includes lunch. Cars must have hard tops or roll bars. Contact Ed Sanson for entry. 609-466-5305 or sales@princetonlotus.com.
  2. Croc, you Carbon Tart!!! Glad you got the brake lines sorted. Can't wait to see it with all the new additions. Keep the NJMP date open, Hopefully we'll get some weather just like this! I'm headed over to NJMP tomorrow for another session on Lightning. Tom
  3. Let see, "it's too cold out" or "It looks like rain" or "I have to check out the shore house", or "I have to pick my wife up at the airport". :jester: Any of those will work. And it's really more of a trailer queen, It gets out of the garage, but it prefers to be shuttled to events. You and Box get my votes for the Iron butt and fearless award, for driving from NY to events. Day or nite, rain or shine. I never ordered the weather gear when I specced mine. I figured that I'd never be able to get into it with the top up. Then again mine is an S3 not a Fat Bastard like yours.:boxing::jester: Tom
  4. If your question is can you repair a cracked fender/wing, then yes you can patch it, but you will NOT really be able to match the weave. It will look like a patch. Unless you paint it, which defeats the look you are probably going for. Tom
  5. Wide footwell???? I think someone is pulling your leg. The foot well in my 2000 series 3, is pretty tight. I have to wear racing shoes in order to get all three pedals. Wearing regular shoes, there is no way you could do it. We'll maybe if you had size 6 feet. The SV footwell is significantly larger and normal shoes will work. But don't let anyone tell you a standard S3 chassis has lots of room. Tom
  6. No, the wide or SV Caterhams are a whole different beast. They didn't come into being until after 2000. Maybe even later. Series 3 or the normal width 7 is still produced even today and I believe the SV is an option. Except for on the CSR which is a wide body only.
  7. I've been running trackdays on Hoosier R25B compound slicks. These are the same tires that I Autoxed with. They are the softest compound and when new are as sticky as you can get. My last set I did 8 or nine trackdays and they still had plenty of rubber left, that was over 35 heat cycles over a 2 years timeframe. My current set has 7 trackdays on them and they still have good grip I'm going to see if I can get another 5 to 6 more trackdays out of them this year. They are 9 x 13 by the way on 10 inch rims at all four corners. Tom
  8. http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/search.php?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=clutch+stop Doesn't look like much to it. Tom
  9. I usually do a front to back inspection of the major componenets after each trackday or long drive. Check fluid levels, belts, wiring, tighten key bolts etc. Just to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be. After back to back trackdays on Monday and Tuesday, I finally got around to checking things over as I'm am doing another trackday on Sunday. I noticed that my coolant level looked slightly lower, a little under the full line. I thought that was strange so I topped it and ran it for a while. All seemed fine, it came up to temp and held steady, once the stat opened, temp dropped a bit but held steady. I turned it off and noticed a small wet spot where the waterrail attaches to the head. This gasket is a known weak point on the K series. However, upon closer inspection I noticed that a bolt that holds the waterrail to the head was missing:ack: I would never had noticed it if I hadn't remembered it when I built the car as it's only a 5mm bolt. Luckily I ordered an extra gasket and bolt on my last order from Caterham. Lesson is that these cars can vibrate just about any component loose. A few minutes looking over the car might save you money and help keep you safe. Tom
  10. Mike, I will ask this weekend when I go, if there is any limit to the number of guests I can bring on a day. You, Croc,Karl and Ron? Any one else before I inquire? If I get a positive response from the Track, I'll see if they will allow you on both days. Tom
  11. Croc, the only scheduled Qualifed members day left is Saturday Nov 12th. Karl and Ron may also be interested iin doing that day. The remaining member days are Sept 17, 18. Fri. Sep 23 Monday Oct 10th. Fri.& sat Oct. 20,21. And Sat. Sun Nov 12th and 13th. On none qualified days, they usually only let guests drive in the novice group which is with a pace car and no passing. I'll see if they will make an exception for potential members Tom
  12. Had another great day at Thunderbolt with the SCDA guys yesterday. 30 plus cars in the intermidiate group again but other than 2 slow/clueless drivers that we all complained about, it was a good event. Once you got by the slow guys the track opened up and was fine until you lapped the guys again. There was a Factory Ford racing mustang that sounded awesome, althought when I let him and his buddy in the Ferrari pass, I couldn't even hear my own car, that's how loud he was. I may do Saturday and or Sunday member trackdays but 4 days in a week might be too much. We'll see. Weather looks perfect though. Once winter sets in I'll start next year's windup for another group outing. tom
  13. I found a local guy that installs the 3m clear guard and had him do the front half of my rear wings and he even cut pieces to install over my carbon rear wing guards. They still look nice after 5 years or so. He only charged me about $200 to do it and he said he spent way more time than he had estimated. I would also recommend having it done on the nose cone and maybe even the side panels from the wheels back to the rear wings as these areas also see some abuse. Here's a link to installers in Virginia where I think you are based. Tom http://www.clearbrafilms.com/virginia/
  14. Lightning today Tbolt tomorrow.
  15. Just finished a great day here at NJMP and I'm resting up for another one tomorrow. Pretty crowded in the intermidiate run group today. Just a couple of slowpokes that didn't like to give point bys can really bog down a lap. We needed the Kitcat to put the fear of God in them.:jester: One poor guy lost it on the last lap of the 3rd session, on turn 5 the blind off camber one, for those of you who have run here. He went off on the left and then shot back across the track and hit the tire wall. head on. 2005 Elise. Front clam is toast. Felt bad for him as the checkered flag was just a corner away when he lost it. :nopity: Other than that, weather is perfect, and I'm haveing fun. Wish you were here. Tom
  16. Stig, just an FYI the standard caterham/triumph brakes are more than adequate for almost any usage. They are cheap, Rotors are cheap and they do the job. Just for comparison, price out the cost of just the vented rotors for the Caterham AP brake upgrade. They are Significantly more pricey. The UK guys don't think it's worth the costs. That being said I do have the AP 4pot calipers and vented rotors. :leaving: Tom
  17. This is a great looking car from both the front and rear view, and as I spent plenty of time on the track with Mike, I have a lot of video that shows both views. The car does sound great and Seems to be very well set up for the track in Mike's capable hands. Getting a car that's well sorted makes the se7en experience much more enjoyable. Right Mike? :smash: :DTom
  18. Sounds like a good excuse to install a winch. :seeya: Easy job, and I, like Karl, installed a small solar panel to help keep the battery charged up. Sounds like a good rainy day project. Tom
  19. Wow! I didn't know Mike was a twin!:smilielol5: Tom
  20. Michael, I assume you know that you just press it on the top to reset it, right? Sorry, I didn't see that you said it will restart immediately without you resetting it. Can you just disconnct it or bypass it to see if it's the culprit?
  21. Ouch Mike. I understand Kidney stones are one of, if not the most painful thing you can have. Hope you can get the new beast sorted to your satisfaction. Can't wait to see it in action. It will be interesting to see your comparison of the Birkin to the Caterham. Rest and relax this weekend and hopefully all will be sorted. Tom:seeya:
  22. Bessie seems to have stopped posting on her condition. I hope she's still a member of this site. You'd think that either she or Al Navarro would have had the courtesy to keep in touch. I hope she's not shacked up with some low life foreign car of ill repute. You know how those Flighty English birds are. :rofl: Come on Al give us an update.:seeya: Tom
  23. Martin, the Wildwood beaches have changed alot since our younger days. Due to changes in the currents or something, Wildwood's beaches have been growing every year. It's my understanding that the walk to the surf from the boardwalk is now over a 1/4 mile trek. Here are some pictures that I found on line. Just imagine that walk on hot sand!:ack: I have very foggy memories of spending my Senior week from High School in Wildwood, back when the drinking age was 18. I still remember that bed spinning and spinning. :willy_nilly: :cheers: Tom
  24. Martin, My understanding is that it came thru unscathed. I'll need to caulk up the holes that were made screwing in the plywood to cover the doors and windows, at least that's what I was told. I did not go down, as we had tenants that have rented the place for 5 straight weeks ending next week. So we will go down and check it out durning the turnover to the next tenant. It's rented thru to the end of October. It will be interesting to see what the beach and dune look like. We literally are less than 100 yard from the surf and the dune is less than 10 feet high. The house has an awesome view, but now in retrospect, it may be just a little too close for comfort. :willy_nilly: A little more than a month ago it seemed like a great idea and a good investment. Now after weathering a hurricane, and playing Landlord, I'm starting to have second thoughts. On paper it's a good deal. We'll see. Here's the view on a nice day. Tom
  25. I have Kodiaks on my Caterham. Very light. I know Michael D. does as he turned me on to them. Tom
×
×
  • Create New...