-
Posts
3,100 -
Joined
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Store
Articles
Gallery
Events
Library
Everything posted by yellowss7
-
Karl, I made a couple of bead seats this past summer for my car. They fit great. Process is pretty straight forward. Do several trial fits to make sure you have the right amount of beads. Smush them around to get the right shape, sit on it and then check it again to see if you need more or less beads. Mix the expoxy, and add it to the bag with the beads. Knead it thouroghly, to get all the beads coated. Then place in the car and shape it roughly to get the beads spread out for good coveage, Sit in it and hook up the vacuum. Prior to the final stages, have the following on hand, Ear plugs or your Ipod, a book, a bottle of beer, water or scotch. Be sure to wear long pants or even your racing suit. As the expoxy cures it gets verrry warm/hot. After it's hardend you can cut out a hole for your 6 point belts, using a serated knife. I covered mine with some black nomex fabric that I got from Pegasus, but you could just as easily use Duck Fabric, from a fabric store. My wife picked up some that I used as a trial. Tom
-
Croc, I'll email them and ask about the roll hoop at the same time I ask about a 7's run group. Steve, how is your roll hoop attached? Welded in or bolted in? If bolted could you have a replacement one that is tall enough made to use for track days? Don't know about your seat bottom either, could it be removed to get you al little more clearance? Tom
-
Jon, here's the info on their convertable policy. What is your convertible policy? For safety reasons, all convertibles (Boxster, Miata, Corvette, BMW Z4, Honda S2000, Pontiac Solstice etc.) are required to have a roll bar that meets the following two criteria in order to be eligible to run during any event. 1) The roll bar must be in the fixed position and visible at all times. This means that roll bars which are designed to automatically deploy are not acceptable unless they are in the full upright and locked position at all times. 2) The roll bar must allow the driver to pass the "broomstick" test which means that the top of the drivers helmet must be below the line from the top of the roll bar to the top of the windshield. There are aftermarket roll bars and/or seats which can be used to help meet these requirements. If your convertible meets these standards, then you are welcome to participate! Factory hard tops are acceptable, as well. This is certainly less that the Scca requirements as it doesn't mention crossbracing or mounting points. Don't know how strict they are about the broomstick rule either as I don't recall sitting in the car during tech.
-
Sorry, did I say Volvo? I meant SV, same thing.:rofl:
-
It will be great to have another K series here. These Big hp Duratec SV guys are starting to take over. Wide track Clams Rule! Hope the Move works out for you and Tess. :cheers: Tom
-
The track day is a pretty laid back affair. Arrival is usually about 7-8 am. Check in, then have your car Teched. Again this is a pretty laid back process, They check lights, Helmets, Brakes, Battery tie down, check for leaks, wheel bearings, no loose stuff in the car, etc. You are basically responsible to make sure everything is in good working order prior to arrival. They do a classroom session on safety, flags, passing rules, and a brief chalkboard on the track layout. This is all open to anyone that attends, so as a spectator you could sit in and observe. The paddock area, where the cars/ trailers, park is a good place to view the cars up close and everyone i've met at these events are pretty happy to talk about their cars. The drivers are broken out into several groups, usually, Novice, intermediate, and advanced. But there could be several of each depending on the number of cars/drivers. Heats usually run about 20 to 30 minutes and you can view the track from alot of different view points, and get good pictures as you are not too far from the track at most points. That means that each driver has at least an hour or so between runs so plenty of time to talk. Lunch is usually around 12-1pm and sometimes is included or the concession stands are usually open. The event usually runs until about 5pm or so. If you can last that long. I've actually passed on the last heat a couple of times as I was loosing concentration and figured it was better to sit the heat out . Instructors are available. As for navigator/passengers. I don't think that they are allowed in New Jersey. (at least they are not for autox events) but It might be possible to get an instructor to take you out. You don't need a 7 to do this either. Any car that passes tech can run. You could take a volvo 240 out, they wouldn't care as long as you paid and met tech requirements. So If you have a car in good shape and the entrance fee, you could join in on the fun too. Tom
-
Wow Guys, that's a great initial response. I count 11 or 12 possibles and we haven't even heard from Mazda or Al yet. This could turn out to be a really good, fun event. Hope to see you all then. Keep the date free. Tom
-
Yeah I know it's still a way off, but I've found that if you put it on your calendar, you are more likely to tell people that you have plans for that day and keep your schedule open. Also note that they have two days back to back, one on Lightning and the next day on Thunderbolt. Last time I stayed over at the track in one of their trackside suites, which sleeps 2. Price was around $100 or so. So if you want to make it a couple day event you can get your fill of the track. Last time I got about 2 hours or so of track time. That may not sound like much, but I guarantee you will be begging to end the day and get a beer. Looks like we have a nice number of 7's interested at this point. Any others considering it should post up and as we get closer and people can firm up their schedules, I'll approach them about the possibility of a seven's only run group. Tom
-
Wow, what a Porker. :jester: My 1.8L Rover weighs in at 89KG dressed. No wonder you guys need that big HP. :smilielol5: But I still am envious of the Duratec. Tom
-
Just a heads up for those interested in the trackday event. Helmets are required, and 2010 was the last year for the 2000 year helmets. That means that if, like me you have a 2000SA helmet, it needs to be replaced for 2011. 2005 SA helmets are still good. So if your helmet is not at least a 2005 SA one then you will need to get a new one. Neither of these groups provide helmets. You must bring your own. The 2010 helmets just came out, some models are not even available yet. Obvioulsy they are at a premium, but I've seen good discounts on 2005 models, that will still be good for atleast 4 more years. Tom
-
As Karl said, a group of 7's on track would be a blast. I ran track days with two different groups last year at NJMP. Both were well run and safe events. For 2011, they have set a couple of dates at NJMP. First up is Thursday May 19th on Thunderbolt, the longer of the two tracks. Its a nice track with a few Long straights and a few high speed turns and then a nice twisty section that allows our sevens to shine. The June dates are Monday and Tuesday, June 27 and 28, one on Lightning, and one on Thunderbolt. I've never run on Lightning, but I hear it's a Monmentum type course. Looks similar but slightly shorter. Thunderbolt is 2.25 miles around and I think Lightning is 1.75 miles. The first date is a private group, and I'll have to ask if they have room for us. The June dates are run by a track day company and last year, entertained the idea of a 7's run group if we got enough cars. That would potentially mix novicies with experts, which could be a problem, but let's cross that bridge when we get there. So, realizing that you will have to take a day or so off from work to do the track day,and the cost will be around $300 or so a day, plus fuel used, how many of you might be interested in getting on board? I'll follow up with both groups to see if they can accomodate us if there is interest. For those of you who have not had your car on track, this is a great way to safely drive your car at speed. Instructors are available, (and recommended) You drive at your own speed, it's not a race or timed event. Passing is restricted by run group to either No passing for novice, Passing on the main straights with a wave by, for the the iintermediates, to passsing with a wave by in the expert groups. It is also a good place to meet up with your 7's and watch if you want to see what's its like too. So how about an early headcount of who might be able to make it. Tom
-
Bruce, not to hijack your thread, but in the same vein of early notice, I just saw that a group that I ran with last year has posted some dates in June and September for Track Days at New Jersey Motorsports Park. If we could get enough cars we might be able to get our own run group. Maybe it could be a nice destination for the group. Tom
-
Really nice video, sound and data. Any idea what camera, mic and data aquisition system was used? I really like the way the info is displayed. Tom
-
Box, I just did a quick edit for you. :cheers: Tom
-
Twas the night before Christmas and all thru the land, the USA7ners were making a plan, not a motor was running not even one on a stand. The stockings were hung by the chimney with care in hope that St. Colin soon would be there. The drivers were nestled all snug in their seats, dreaming of 0 to 60 times that no one can beat.. Al in his pixey boots and Croc in his racing suit, had just settled down for a long winters toot. When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter, I sprang from the seven to see what was the matter. Away to the windscreen I flew like a flash, tore open the tonneau and threw up on the dash, The moon on the breast of the new fallen snow, gave the luster of midday to the objects below. When what to my wondering eyes should appear but a miniature seven and eight tiny reindeer. With a little old driver wielding a chopsaw, I knew in a moment it must be St Mazda More rapid than Corvettes his coursers they came, and he whistled and shouted and called them by name. Now Crossflow , now Twincam, now Zetec and Wankel, on Cosworth on Vauxhall on Duratec and Rover. Too the top of the porch to the top of the wall, now Blat away, Blat away Blat away all. As orange cones that before the wild Boxologist fly, when they meet with an SV mount to the sky, So up to the house top the coursers they flew with the sleigh full of slicks and St. Mazda too. And then in a twinkling I heard with my ear, the revving and chirpping of each little gear. As I drew in my head and was turning around, down the chiminey St. Mazda came with a bound He was dress all in nomex from his head to his foot. And his clothes were all tarnished with WD 40 and soot. A bundle of parts he had flung on his back, and he looked like a gearhead just opening his pack. His LEDs how they twinkled, his throttle blips how merry, his upshifts were like roses, his headers glowed like a cherry. His seven was chopped up like we all come to know. And the fear on his face was like he needed a tow. The stump of a pipe wrench he held tight in his teeth, and the torque it recorded made him grit his teeth. He had a wind swept face and a little sick smile, that looked like a g force that pulled for a mile. He was chubby and plump a right jolly old elf. And I laughed when I saw him inspite of myself. A wink of his eye and a twist of the throttle, soon gave me to know he had been on the bottle.. He spoke not a word but went straight to his work, and filled all the stockings and turned with a jerk. And laying his finger aside of his nose, and giving a nod up the chimney he rose. He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle, and away they all flew like a Sevenesque missle, but I heard him exclaim ere he drove out of sight, Merry Christmas to all and Keep your Safety harnesses cinched tight.” Merry Christmas:seeya: Tom
-
Plenty of different ways to run it. I'm no expert having only done about 5 trackdays. You can run either an open pit, which allows cars to go in and out, no heats. Or you can run 2 or more heats. 20-30 minutes at a time is plenty. That allows you to spread out the numbers on track at one time for safety and it also allows you to put the faster drivers in one heat and the novices in another. Most track days I've run with, have 3 to 5 heats and you usually get 4 to 6 sessions. For me that was PLENTY of track time. 2 hours plus on track at speed. You look forward for the down time, It's also a good thing to give time to refuel, check hoses, coolant and oil levels, air pressure, lug nut torque, etc. I'm sure more experienced trackday guys can provide additional advice. Tom
-
A Scale that large is just impossible to comprehend.
-
Here's a working link for the burns one. http://www.burnsstainless.com/sm-200-350-17.aspx
-
You gotta love You tube. YouTube - The most flexible man on earth[/url]
-
Not nearly as talented, but who cares!:drool: YouTube - Natasha Super Flexible Girl[/url]
-
This one is pretty good too. [/url]
-
How about Alaskossie's 7. Other than his wheel bearing issue, he drove it up to Alaska. That's confidence! How many of us drive our cars close to the limit on tracks. That's confidence. For the most part these cars are easier to maintain and work on than a "Normal" car. Yeah, they're quirky, but at least you can work your way thru the process. That's a small price to pay for the fun we have with them. I'm with you Mazda. I'm waaay too attached to my car to part with it. Tom:seeya:
-
One other thought. I installed a switch like the turn signal switch and hooked up the water temp sender and a oil temp sender. So when I flip the switch one way I get water temp and the other way I get oil temp. If I leave the switch in the center off position I get neither. Any chance you have a similar switch that is in the off position? Tom
