Save the date - East Coast Sevens HPDE Event 2015

Croc

Things are still rubbery and coming together but I did want to put a placeholder of dates out there for everyone.

Again we will be holding the event on July 4 long weekend, generously hosted by NJMP. Similar arrangements to prior year but a more detailed organization outline will follow closer to the date.

Friday July 3 - Arrive early afternoon and set up. If early and if there is demand we could organize a karting event that afternoon. Our current plan subject to confirmation is a casual outside BBQ pool party at the NJMP clubhouse.

Saturday July 4 - HPDE with Drivers Club on the Lightning Circuit. Breakfast, lunch and refreshments included. Evening dinner reception with other Drivers Club members at the home of NJMP track founder and all around good guy, Don Fauerbach. People who attended last year know how good this was.

Sunday July 5 - HPDE with Drivers Club on the Lightning Circuit. Breakfast, lunch and refreshments included. For those staying over we are thinking there will be a dinner in the Breighton Room at the NJMP Clubhouse.

Monday July 6 - head home.

I am still trying for the possibility of a third day on track, maybe the Monday, but the chances appear remote at this stage.

We will be running the Lightning Circuit again. This is a fast little momentum circuit, well suited to our cars with a nice variety of corners and elevation changes and of course the bowl which is great fun to play with. This can be a frustrating track if you are out there with the bigger road cars like Corvettes, Mustangs or Porkers as they heavily brake in 2 areas of the track where a seven can sail through. However, we don't have to worry about that as having a sevens only run group means even the slowest CrossFlow is very quick through every corner. Despite the HP disparity last year the group flowed really well - so much so it really did not feel like there were many people out on track at all.

We will eventually have a private registration page on Motorsportreg.com for signing up and paying for the Friday and Saturday dinners, visitors, etc., but don't expect this until say around May this year.

NJMP does insist on vetting driver capabilities as this is an event they organize and are responsible for. They have a strong belief in safety which is to be commended. Drivers who have previously driven with this event will be evaluated based on their past performance. Drivers who are new to the event will be required to submit a driving resume for evaluation by NJMP.

This will be a sevens only HPDE run group session. To make it this way we have to compromise run group rules. It will be with passing only on straights with a point by. No passing in corners or braking zones. No passengers on track other than for Drivers Club accredited instructors. Usual safety gear rules apply - in date helmets, long pants, closed toe shoes, arm restraints, in date belts, head below roll bar level, car freshly serviced, etc. This is not a race - it is a HPDE event. Those wanting to come here and set lap records should find another event as the aim is to enjoy the dynamic abilities of our sevens in a safe environment. Full safety gear requirements will follow in a later update.

Like last year we will have access to some instructors who are present as part of the day. They are very experienced and even if they do not accompany you out on track they will spend the time talking best lines on the track map in the pit building - definitely worth it for that.

NJMP is located in Millville, in Southern NJ, about an hour east of Philadelphia and 2.5 hours south of New York City. It is easily reached off I-95. There are a variety of accommodation options available. NJMP has pit suites (basic motel units on property) or luxury villa accommodation over on the Thunderbolt circuit. Millville has a lot of hotel options - Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn, Days Inn, Quality Inn, Hampton Inn, Ramada, etc.

This is not just a driving event but also a social event. Last year we had quite a few spouses present and enjoying the atmosphere and the evenings. We would love to welcome them back. There are a number of options to explore off-track if watching cars is not exciting during the day. The beach is a short drive from Millville. Cape Elizabeth down the Jersey Shore is well worth a visit. Atlantic City is 45 minutes drive away. There are a number of local wineries in the area offering tastings.

Costs are not yet finalized but will be similar to last year based on my current educated guess. No increases in the HPDE based on the current pricing available.

Post your interest in attending on this USA7s thread. If you would like to having karting on the Friday holiday please note that too. We will be doing an email follow up for those who do not frequent this forum.

Some photos from last year to get you in the mood!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/CSR/2014%20NJMP%20Sevens%20Event/WSPS--0001_zps94f54366.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/CSR/2014%20NJMP%20Sevens%20Event/DSC_4186_zpsf326304b.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/CSR/2014%20NJMP%20Sevens%20Event/DSC_4190_zpsc28e9bb1.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/CSR/2014%20NJMP%20Sevens%20Event/WSPS--0001-5_zpscbe59dcd.jpg

Look forward to seeing you all later this year!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sign me up for everything, including karting, if that materializes. For various reasons, this has been my only track event for the last 2 years. Hopefully impending semi-retirement will free up more time in the near future. But, if I am only going to do one event a year, this is the one to do!

Don't wait til too late to get your room rez in, either on or off track, like I did last year. I had to scramble and pay extra $$$ to find something conveniently located. Our group is just one of may using the track and the motorcycle guys show up in hordes for their event, so the rooms disappear.

Edited by Kitcat

"....even the slowest CrossFlow is very quick through every corner." Hey, I resemble that remark! :)

Count me in, including the Karting on Friday.

Second Mike's recommendation of not waiting to make reservations. With it being a holiday weekend, the hotels fill up fast.

Steve

Count me in as well! Including Friday go kart event. My mission this year: keep up with Kitcat, and continue to learn what this little red car can really do. Working on a set of sticky 13" and a carbon aeroscreen to help with top end. Lots to do to get ready.

I can't wait. Thanks for organizing and setting things up again Croc.

Seb, great to hear you will be joining us again. But we are definitely going to have to handicap you for the Karting event. Not only do you have a significant weight advantage, I seem to recall that you were a former Canadian Karting champion. Isn't that correct? :willy_nilly: Tom

Tom and Mike,

I'm definitely in, I'll pass on the Kart event. The good news is I don't have any surgery

plans a week after this event unlike last year....

Steve

Edited by S1Steve

Since I got these questions as a couple of PMs I will repost the answer for the benefit of everyone here.

1) There are garages for rent at the Thunderbolt Pits. However, these garages are only available from 4pm for overnight and must be vacated next morning as an event will be using that circuit. They are also not lockable as they are common. That said they are fairly secure overnight - I have never heard of an issue from anyone in the years I have been using the circuit and there has been some serious machinery and tools/gear stored in there over the years. Failing that I will have at least 1 space in my 2 rented garages and if someone gives me a hand I bet I can get 2 in there with some rolling jack stands. Lastly, there are likely people to be camping in the Lightning pits, so we could put a cover over the cars and park it next to the RV/tent of the people staying there - perfectly secure on the NJMP property with its 24 hours security gate and roving patrols and cameras. People do that with their cars quite frequently.

2) Some people have expressed the idea of sharing a pit suite to save some money. Its early days but putting my eHarmony hat on, I am sure I can match people up using the 69 different dimensions of compatibility closer to the event. Actually you only need 1 dimension - a love for sevens! There are TWO beds in the pit suites so no ideas! A cleaning fee is charged if you take grease covered tools, slick tires, coolant, etc to bed.

:seeya:

we are definitely going to have to handicap you for the Karting event.

Tom - you take the right and I take the left and we have a pincer move going into corner one. Failing that Mike G (Klasik) will punt him into the sand pit coming onto the main straight! :jester: :rofl:

I realize I said this last year....but count me in, hopefully for all of the activities

With fully functional and freshly rebuild engine and gearbox already in the car, what could possibly go wrong.....

Edited by Sabbot
typo

You can count me in too, with a token Birkin (once i get my parts out of the grasp of this storm). If there are more unforeseen delays I will try to come and snap a few pictures of Croc in compromising positions.

p.

DSC_16654_web.JPG

Edited by wemtd
spelling

As a possibility of an add on - as of today there is a possibility to rent the Lightning track on either the morning or full Monday July 6 for a very concessional amount. Catch is that it would be a max of 6 cars in the paddock running open pit lane format. So we could not accommodate everyone - it would be first in scores the place.

Thoughts?

This will be the 5th annual East Coast Seven's gathering at NJMP. As in previous years, expressing interest in attending allows us to do some preplanning and gives us an estimate of the potential attendance. No financial commitment is needed at this time. So if you think you maybe able to join us, either on track or as a spectator let us know.

Potential attendees to date:

1) Croc

2) Yellowss7

3) BBall7754

4) Kitcat

5) S1Steve

6) SK400

7) Sabbot

8) Wemdt

9) RGTorque

10) Paul Hill (and wife, spectating)

11) FE07