Electronic rodent repellant devices

*NOTE* I keep my good toys safely stored inside.

I have a full-size pick-up that is kept outside and used occasionally. I discovered mouse droppings under the hood when replacing the dead battery. 

I am looking to get a device to keep the varmints away. Suggestions?

I have a solution within the garage.  I use these:

Amazon.com : Victor Mini M753SN Ultrasonic Rodent Repeller with Nightlight, 3-Pack (Not available in HI, NM, PR),White : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Other neighbors have been using them and none of us has seen evidence of a rodent since we started using them but plenty of evidence before we started.  Going on 10 years now.   I thought I was safe since the rodents only liked Porsches but once my neighbors with Porkers got the repellers then the rats found my garage and discovered the Mustang.

No idea if it works but what about something like this?
Amazon.com: Loraffe Under Hood Animal Repeller Car Rat Repeller Rodent Repellent Ultrasonic Mouse Deterrent for 12V Vehicle Automobile Get Rid of Mice in Car Engine with Ultrasound and LED Flashlights, 2 Pack : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I have to admit I was skeptical about ultrasonic repellers but they seem to work for me and I am surrounded by critters.    

I use a similar device to the one Croc is using in my shop, and I have one of these in my truck after spending $1000.00 in repairs to replace wiring.

AmazonSmile: Loraffe Under Hood Animal Repeller Rodent Repellent Ultrasonic Rat Deterrent LED Strobe Lights Keep Mice Away from Car Pest Control for 12V 24V Automobile Truck RV, Rodent Defense Vehicle Protection : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Both work

PO of my Caterham installed one of the Loraffe repellers and it seems to have worked.  I think it's worth a go for sure, anything to try to disuade the little bastards!  Other successful option is a number of glue traps set around - very effective, and gives you the satisfaction of seeing the results!  Just remember to move them before you drive the vehicle!

I live in the rural az desert. SO. I employ all of the above, plus. none of the electronic seem to work, have found the moth balls that come in a ventilated plastic bag to be best in engine compartments. But they do not bother the wiring in my 66 Ranchero that doesn't have any wire made with soy. Redneck mouse traps work well outside and in the shop as does Hawk all weather bait chunx, that I screw to a piece of plywood. This spring I had made up about 30 of these and had them in a box on the floor for later use, left the door open and the next day all the poison was striped from all the plywood pieces.  (really slowed down the rodent problem). I have about 1/2 square mile to patrol all by myself. All the small trees that I plant get killed by the rabbits if not fenced, (planted 2 oleander bushes and didn't think to fence them and next day all that was left was 2 stumps) but no more rabbits that year. I was hoping that they would grow up and provide feed for the cowboy welfare's cows.  the main problem is the wires and spark plug wires are the most tasty (my elderly backhoe has no problem, nor does the little kubota diesel.  But I do love it here amongst the damn republicans.     john

I bought some peppermint oil, soaked a cotton ball in an open plastic bag and wedged it in the engine compartment of my son's Subaru. That is after almost $1000 to replace a unit with the wires chewed off. Hope it works and hope my Lotus wiring is not tasty.

Peppermint oil is a pretty good repellant.  We use it around the deck.  The little bastards get under there and drive the dog crazy.  Now, I also spread her fur around and that works great. Just now, I'm brushing about 10 pounds of fur a day off the Australian Sheppard.  Anyway, the oil must be kept up, so it reeks of the stuff.  Rather pleasant anyway.