So, tell us a little about yourselves

slngsht

Beagle,

Welcome. I'm 6'3" and around 220, and fit an SV fine. I'd recommend you take your driving shoes along for the test fit, because the foot box restrictions come into play for some of us--like my Size 12s!

Taber

BG78: You will not fit in a standard Cat S3 or Birkin S3. You will fit in the roomier variants (Cat SV, Birkin XS). You will likely fit in a Stalker. The larger models are rare and the SV Croc has for sale here is one of the few I have seen for sale in a while. Having seen, and run track days with Croc's car, I can vouch for its excellence.

Hi all! I just picked up a 2001 Caterham (S3, Zetec, as seen on BaT) a month ago and brought it back up to the SF Bay Area where it was originally assembled.

Thanks to all the members here who chimed in with useful information in the BaT auction (Croc, KitKat7, Super7Driver, and probably more).

The car has been great so far, and I'm hoping for many enjoyable years and miles to come!

28433962359_7cc5523d1a_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My name is Tom Payne. I live in Mooresville, North Carolina, USA. I am sixty-nine and retired. The Seven has been my dream car since 4/11/65 when I saw one in a gas station as my father and I were returning from a sports car race in Pensacola, Florida. Back in the mid-90s I was "between jobs" and hanging out with some friends who were Caterham dealers in Cumming, Georgia. They had a demo and it needed some attention so I spent a few days sorting it out and cleaning it up and they let me take it for the weekend. So as I was driving it I encountered Danny Panoz, of Panoz Auto Development who was driving one of his AIV Roadsters, so he flagged me down and we talked and he asked if I would bring the car to the factory so they could have a look at it. Well, that led me to a job working in the Parts Department and that led me to a job working at Bill Elliott's NASCAR shop in Dawsonville and that led me to eleven seasons with Roush-Fenway racing as a Purchasing Agent. Along the way I worked at Panoz Motorsports and was on the winning crew for the 1999 Petit LeMans. I should mention that this all started in 1995 when I was the Grounds Manager at Road Atlanta, pre-Panoz changes. .. Anyway, I digress..

I like fixing up old things and I've done about four Air-cooled VW projects, including one that I am trying to finish-up and get on the market before I go to pick-up my Caterham.

I found my car on Hemmings and I made a mad dash up to Michigan to have a quick test-drive in the freezing cold and snow all over the place, and then a quick rinse and it was up on the lift so I could see how much love it's going to need. I had to leave the car behind in storage. I'm busting it on the VW to get it done, going the extra mile on it.

So that's about it. I still can't believe I actually own a Seven. I'm having a hard time sleeping at night. Pray for me.. LOL. .

Tom's Caterham 2-12-18.jpg

Tom Payne 17.jpg

Caterham Seven 001.jpg

Edited by Tom Payne

Tom, Quite a storied career in racing. Congrats on finally acquiring your dreamt about 7. Just remember not to get too close behind a jacked up pickup on big meats at a traffic light in Mooresville. Says the truck driver, "Did I just back up over a beer can?" :ack: Happy motoring in the beautiful NC mountains. Bob

Thanks, Bob. Totally understand the challenges. Once upon a time I rode a little motorcycle 24/7/365 for a couple of years, so I am a very defensive driver by nature. I'm looking forward to learning any lessons that you experienced guys have to teach me about anything that I need to know. I do struggle with mechanical things but I enjoy the satisfaction of doing things on my own.

Congratulations. You will love the experience. Some of us don't get to own what we want till we hit a certain age. I always (still) think how unfair it is that young people can't afford cool sport cars, but us old guys can. Out here, in Texas, the land of giant vehicles, I use a bicycle flag thing to keep from getting run over. Use it on the street as much as you can. It makes the people smile and wave. The bikers get it.

Just wait till you get it in your own garage. You have permission to just go out and look at it a couple times a night, cause it's YOURS!

-Mark

Yep. First thing when I get it home I'm going to put it up on stands and pull the nose and wheels off and give it a good inspection and take a lot of photos of the details. Then I'll put it down and turn left out of my drive and head out to the country.

• 3 weeks later...

Been lurking for the past few years, but now that buying a Caterham is a realistic goal for me- it was time to register onto USA7's.

From Chicago, originally from Bosnia, 23 and unfortunately very tall (here comes the "will I fit in one" question haha)

I'm a travelling mechatronics technician who goes to various food/beverage/product plants servicing their equipment. How I ended up in the field is a long story, but I'm incredibly thankful for how life folded out.

My plan is to buy a Caterham in the next few years, it's "dream car" status not counting a Mclaren F1. I remember being 10 or so on vacation with my parents in Holland, Michigan and as we were driving down the street, a yellow Caterham drove past us on the opposite side of the road. I begged my parents to make a u-turn so I could look at it some more, but by the time we turned around it was long gone. It was unreal to see one on the streets given how rare they are.

That being said, I'd love to have the chance to see another one in person and try one on for size. I travel all the time for work, if anyone can help me get in touch with someone who has a S3 (preferably with a lowered floor) or an SV, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm in Chicago every other weekend, but currently I'm in Baton Rouge for the next three weeks.

I'm 6'4'', 34'' inseam, wear a 11.5, 170lb and regarded as skinny. When it comes time to buy one I wouldn't mind an SV, but it's hard accepting the front fascia is noticeably wider than a regular chassis.

Glad to be part of USA7's!

-susej1981

14232608_663014860527293_7376910859266175139_n.jpg

susej1981,

Welcome aboard. You've hooked up with the right group for trying on 7s. I'm sure appropriate replies will soon come your way. :cheers:

Edited by xcarguy

Welcome to the USA7s madhouse.

Your height may require you to consider an SV chassis Caterham or perhaps a lowered seating position with S3 chassis; otherwise, you will end up looking like this guy...

http://i66.tinypic.com/34huwyr.jpg

That, and whatever chassis I end up with will need an obnoxiously tall custom roll bar haha.

I'm not geographically near, but I have a Birkin S3, with a lowered floor and taller roll bar. I'm 6'2" with a 36 inch inseam and it works.

Welcome! 6'4" is easy. Blubarisax on this forum is 6'8" and we got him into an SV. Secret was lowered floors and a "taller" roll bar. Also going to a bead resin custom seat gave another inch headroom over the standard leather or tillet seats.