So, tell us a little about yourselves

slngsht

Thanks everyone. I am finishing the reassembly of my Jaguar XJ-12 coupe, after a change of color repaint. I am looking to get a Lotus Seven when that project is finished. So I'm not ready to purchase one this year, probably in 2018. It is nice to see some really nice examples available not far from me, I hope it is not a fluke and that I will have no problem later when I'm ready to purchase.

I knew nothing of Westfields and Birkins, until I found this forum, this is exactly the kind if information I was looking for and it gives me something to think about, thanks.

Dave

• 3 months later...

Caterham newbie here. I've been interested for sometime, am 52 and need to stop wishing and start living. Long story short, I have a 10 year old daughter who has a condition that leaves her physically unable to do a lot of things and a lifespan that could be as short as 20 years. While I love cars, I love her more. Recently she made the remark that "we should get a sports car." She's right and it should be the one that gives her the FULL experience.

So, here I am beginning a search. While I understand that every Caterham is capable of providing the experience, I'm of the philosophy of investing in things that do not leave one wishing they had been more committed and so will be looking for a CSR. Seeing that they are few and far between will make it a challenge but I'm not interested in regrets either.

Thanks!

Pavulon. If you want a sports car buy a corvette. A 7 may be a bit too visceral for her. Drive one on a cold or hot windy day. However There is nothing like it on a beautiful day. IMHO.

Gale

Edited by HOTTTCAR

I doubt you would regret an S3 or SV chassis Caterham Seven. The IRS of the CSR gives it ultimately more composure at the *absolute* limit, and it is an incremental step forward for the marque. However, the model has now not been in production for quite some time, and I still do not have a timeline from the UK for a re-introduction of the chassis.

We have a nicely-optioned 360 SV S-pack kit, that is not yet spoken for, and has been in production for a couple of weeks. Realistically, we will have this kit in-hand and ready for assembly around mid-October, and a completed vehicle could be in a customer's hands before EOY. A very, very special Christmas/Holiday celebration, for sure.

Best,

-Bruce

I have given "dozens" of people rides in my Caterham SV, in the years I have owned it, and similarly in the two Corvettes C6 and C7 that I have owned. This has included some children. While both cars are enjoyable and get lots of comments, the "sports car" experience of the Caterham is far, far more impressive than the Corvette. I guess if I were doing competitive driving somewhere, that would reverse, but on the street, the Corvette feels like 40 mph when you reach 90 mph, but the Caterham can--depending on the road--feel like 90 mph when you hit 40! The Caterham is the full sports car experience. Agreed, not so much fun on cold or hot days, and I've rarely driven it in the rain.

Just my thoughts....

Thanks so much for all the replies. Your individual opinions are appreciated.

I've considered the usual suspects and haven't really ruled anything out as each has an appeal. I will say that the only convertible that holds my interest is a CSR. I've considered a C5 Z06 corvette as they are the best value IMO. I also have a big soft spot for 87-98 911s but I feel their prices are currently inflated. Further, I'm not interested in convertible versions of either car.

I'm disappointed that CSR production has stopped for now (at least) as I find them really interesting from suspension, drive train and appearance perspectives. The car would be used for local 'entertainment' nearly exclusively.

Thanks again!

You are right. C5 zo6 is a steel. I have had a couple and they are the best I have had excepting the c7 zo6. C7s are driving c5 and c6 prices to crazy low prices.

good luck finding your dream machine.

Gale

So very sorry to hear of your daughter's dire medical condition!

I think if you want to distill the sports car experience to its essence, any se7en will do. A 30' ride in a se7en equals 2-3 hours in anything else, for pure wall-to-wall visceral thrills.

If you want a bit of civilization to go with it, a Miata is an amazing car, as are all the others mentioned as alternatives above. And all of them, unlike a se7en, fly under the radar-in a se7en you are always in the spotlight.

• 4 months later...

Modern sports cars are too good, classic cars have no brakes, and I don't have enough time for a track car. If you look at the license plates hanging from the beams, you can see my past range.

About 10 years ago I drove a SV in Europe, and it stuck in my mind, so here I am. In the most analog car world there is.

Thank you all for helping me understand your universe....

I'm just an amateur, but my friend Tom is the professional. He helps me when things get serious. But I did get beyond just handing him the tools.

Every winter I take the Spyker apart for deep cleaning and over the years we have added numerous updates and many special Spyker parts that were experimental, and never made it into production. According to the spykerowner.com website it is already the most unique Spyker in the world. How about this one off exhaust...

2016-04-23 09.51.38.jpg

Edited by Spyker #207

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

Im a Nuclear Operator by trade, married since 2009. We just had our first son on Jan. 20th!

I have always been a car enthusiast and have been a faithful BMW guy for years for my fun toys ... After totalling my last BMW badly last October, I decided that I wanted to look for something unique that I could meet my buddies for cruisin but also take to my semi-frequent track days ... And my search led me here.

Honestly at this point I'm not even sure I'll fit in one of these (6ft 2, 275lbs) but they seem like they would be TREMENDOUS fun on the track and spark interesting conversation at meets!

Glad to be here!

Gday Beagle - 6'2" and 275lb? Not a problem. I have squeezed a 6'8" 300lb+ guy into a Caterham. I also squeezed a 350lb 5'11 guy into a Caterham. You can do amazing things with our little cars if you put your mind to it. They also handle well! :jester:

Find someone local to you to have a trial fit. Owners just love to show their cars off and you learn from checking them out in person.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes they can. Kit and roller chassis orders seem to be backlogged until late 2018 fulfillment but a Caterham dealer can inform you on that detail.

Well if I went new I would have to wait till next year to be able to afford exactly what I want ... I love the 360 and 480 SV style ... Don't see very many of those used

I do like the red SV that you're selling (I think it was you that posted it?)