New Birkin-First impressions

Kitcat

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from today's field trip to my garage: A defective engine "kill" switch was killing engine all by itself when hitting bumps or on big lateral G's. So it was removed, circuit hardwired, goodbye kill switch. All is well.

After that fix, the car ran like a top, tech takes for a spin, car dies, tech has to call a tow truck to get home, then, one bad electrical connector after another is located and replaced, engine works, then, dies, more trouble shooting, then loose electrical connectors are tightened and now, suddenly, many, many, many dollars of tech time later (they finally double teamed it w/2 techs at $100/hour, per tech), it seems to be fine, tho battery is shot and needs to be replaced.

So much for my bargain Birkin. And I have a funny feeling that this is the start, not the end of this saga, we shall see. It has covered all of 6 miles thus far under its own power so stay tuned, I suspect this is not the final installment here:).

Edited by Kitcat

then, one bad electrical connector after another is located and replaced, engine works, then, dies, more trouble shooting, then loose electrical connectors are tightened

I recommend a preventative session with Stabilant 22. It improves the electrical connections in environments like sevens which are fully of vibration. I used it on the previous car to minimize electrical connection silliness and I am part way through the new seven and hope to finish it off this weekend while I have the scuttle off.

When I first got mine, it quit running in about half a mile when I spun out. I had all kinds of nightmares of what it could be... fuel pick up hose came loose from pump, in fuel tank. Looks like I was luckier than you. Though I did finally have to switch to a stand alone ECU to get things dialed in.

Good luck. It'll be worth it.

I reckon that the Xflow Cat is exerting it's bad Mojo on the newbie. :iamwithstupid:

I would segregate them and get rid of the Cat, before it completely transfers its Psyche into the Newbie. :jester:

m

If you look under the Caterham's dash there are abt 6 wires, under the Birkin's it looks like abt 10 thousand wires, all spaghetti style and in untethered clumps, a total rat's nest. So there is something to be said for keepin it simple/light.

Once I get it back on the road, I will have to do something to anchor the mess of under dash wiring so the gravitational pull of track days doesn't cause connectors to separate.

One of the big challenges, per the techs, was no wiring diagram, so everything was done by feel.

If you look under the Caterham's dash there are abt 6 wires, under the Birkin's it looks like abt 10 thousand wires, all spaghetti style and in untethered clumps, a total rat's nest. So there is something to be said for keepin it simple/light.

Once I get it back on the road, I will have to do something to anchor the mess of under dash wiring so the gravitational pull of track days doesn't cause connectors to separate.

One of the big challenges, per the techs, was no wiring diagram, so everything was done by feel.

Mike - There's a Birkin wiring diagram here: [/url]http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kJ5VTgXKUexWOT9WUGurutfjz4hTrvFyAtYUtL-J_PskJDZKyAiPGHZXSZXnwm1iiM8vZFlEot-u4Y25kbnYAmAmcFJXpEOVmOlt/birkinwiring.pdf It might not be identical to what you have, but it's a start. I blew it up and printed it on 8.5" x 14" paper and it's almost readable! :)

I spent considerable time re-doing the wiring on my Birkin but thankfully it's been very reliable ever since. You can read a little about it here: http://usa7s.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2287&highlight=birkin&page=4

Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you'll get the issues straightened out and then you can enjoy that Duratec power! :driving:

Mike, I hope you don't show me a Catkin because you've switched all the good Cat stuff into your new car. Plus, selling her is no excuse to start driving her like a hertz rental. So on top of testing the brakes and reverse gear, I'll also be inspecting for leaks, rattles, bent rollover bars, and Birkin wiring looms!

Wow, all of this wiring talk has turned me off to Birkin's in the future. I hate working on electrical things. I have been going to add a third brake light to my Caterham for three years now, but I just don't want to deal with inevitable electrical issue I create for myself in the process. :)

+1 on wiring. I know nothing about electrical other than it is those little electrons pedalling away give me electricity. I do know all about loose wiring connections having spent 3 days redoing each connection around the cockpit of my last seven so they would not shake loose in the harsh operating environment of a seven.

I have been going to add a third brake light to my Caterham for three years now, but I just don't want to deal with inevitable electrical issue I create for myself in the process. :)

Supersportsp

I installed one on my Caterham this spring. Simple job. Just order the pigtail from caterham that allows you to connect both your current brake light and then has a extra set of wires that you connect to the wires from the new one your adding. The part wasn't expensive and the job takes almost no time. ( I didn't even lose any smoke from the exsiting wires when doing this, That's how easy it is. :smilielol5:)

Here's the link to the part. Sub Loom high brakel light. http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=345

Tom

Edited by yellowss7

My Birkin's wiring is gorgeous. Its a 2003. Earlier models had the bird nest wiring. But these days it is just as pretty as you could make it yourself. Its not like Birkin doesn't improve things year-to-year. Honestly I'm not sure there are many parts on my 03 that are identical to my friend's 01.

If I were to get an old Birkin, I'd just figure in the price of a new wiring harness. No big deal-- I'm sure there are off the shelf items that hot-rodders use that'd work fine. These are simple cars afterall.

My Birkin's wiring is gorgeous. Its a 2003. Earlier models had the bird nest wiring. But these days it is just as pretty as you could make it yourself. Its not like Birkin doesn't improve things year-to-year. Honestly I'm not sure there are many parts on my 03 that are identical to my friend's 01.

Well, after buying a used '09 Birkin for its Duratec power and reliability and towing it back from Virgina Beach I was eager to jump in and do a comparo w/my Caterham.

What about '09's? :) Not a good vintage for cleansed wiring? I imagine like any Se7en, it depends who built it.

Supersportsp

I installed one on my Caterham this spring. Simple job. Just order the pigtail from caterham that allows you to connect both your current brake light and then has a extra set of wires that you connect to the wires from the new one your adding. The part wasn't expensive and the job takes almost no time. ( I didn't even lose any smoke from the exsiting wires when doing this, That's how easy it is. :smilielol5:)

Here's the link to the part. Sub Loom high brakel light. http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=345

Tom

Gracias, I will order one up. Seems like it is idiot proof enough for me. I am sure I will cause some chain reaction though and my whole system will fail the first time I step on the brakes.

I think i picked up the bug driving through Ohio yesterday.

Tried to go for a blat tonight, only to find my voltage dropping, and alternator not contributing. Fortunately i was able to limp home before she outright quit.

If it were daytime i'd probably have seen Lucas' smoke leaking out....

BBall:

Terrifying thot, that little Caterkin! Ya know, both cars are in the same repair shop, side by side. And when the lights go out every night, who knows? Street-wise, but simple minded Caterham, next to a sophisticated, but inexperienced, Birkin??? I am calling the shop today and telling them to chain both cars to the floor. I only hope I am not too late.

Supersport: I had all sorts of teething issues w/my Caterham that took a year to work thru, including an intermittent short that killed the starter and left me stranded, many, many, many times and on wh/I spent tons of time/$ trying to track down. So I am not close to giving up on the Birkin.

Paul: At least you know what to ck 1st on your elec situation (start w/battery terminals, then cutoff switch-remeber, it does work (some of the time)-then conectors). Let me know what you finally discover.

Ian, I am pulling out the $1.7K carbon fiber driver's seat, and replacing the track rubber with newer street tires, that's about it.

Automoda-as noted, my wiring is the '09 version so it shd be as beautiful as yours. Because it looked fussy, the prior owner spent a lot of $ cleaning up the engine bay wiring and making it pretty (He succeeded). Since the rest was invisible, he skipped it.

Bottom line for me-even w/its current probs, this Birkin is very high content and assuming glitches can be fixed, a real deal.

Edited by Kitcat

Got the Birkin back this a.m. Man, it scoots! Many ergonomic quibbles, all resolvable, I believe.

As noted elsewhere, it is impossible to fit my Toyo RA1's (15x205x50)under the front fenders. So I am currently fender-less. While I work out a solution, I will mount the Avons I got from Karl a coupla months ago (15x195x50). They are much smaller (not as wide and not as tall), so shd fit fine. Wheels are not interchangeable Cat to Birk I am advised.

Steering seems a bit slower, susp seems a bit stiffer, gas is harder to modulate as well w/result that I was slower thru my favorite twisties and around my 360 "skidpad". I am sure I will get it all dialed in over the next few months. Hopefully it all holds together and I can make it to W Glen nxt weekend.