Jump to content

Croc

Administrators
  • Posts

    9,187
  • Joined

Everything posted by Croc

  1. I think Westfield have had the locking boot box option for a while now! Nice find of that article - good reading!
  2. OK I am going to bite. I don't want this thread to degenerate into a "my brand is better than your brand" match here so I am bringing some science to the discussion. I ticked every option box on my recent Caterham build and I do not believe you in an instant it would get high US$70's other than by luck of getting the right purchaser at the right time. I am an actuary by qualification and even I would not bank on those odds. Being an anal actuary with a love of spreadsheets, contemplating the sale of my old yellow Caterham and trying to decide what to do with a new seven project, about 2 years ago I ran the depreciation numbers on Caterhams, Birkins, and Ultralites from all the USA data listed on this forum plus from other state registration databases I had confidential access to. There was not enough data to do Westfields or Stalkers and even then Ultraites sales were limited enough that statistical conclusions are not valid. Locosts cannot be analyzed as each is a individual in its own right. My conclusion was that depreciation between Caterhams and Birkins follows pretty much the same statistical curve. In absolute terms there may be a slight advantage to the Caterham at the 0-3 year year mark but it is statistically insignificant especially given the individual specification variances between all of our cars. Anyway, once you get past the initial depreciation period any of these cars are sound investments in quality of life - they all have a fairly stable value at that point, much better than a regular car. In dollar terms the Caterham has more risk than a Birkin simply because of the scale of the dollars invested is higher. Using some comparative car specs from when I was dreaming up my next seven 2 years ago, a new US$68k Caterham (above avg spec but not top end spec) roughly corresponded to a new US$45k Birkin with similar spec. Today the Caterham is down to US$50k whereas the Birkin is down to say US$27-29k. Nothing much in it statistically as depending on the the right marketplace and right purchaser these numbers could easily be higher or lower. In dollar terms the smart money (at least from my finance background) is on the Birkin as there is less outlay and therefore less dollar exposure downside. So why did I buy a Caterham? The right spec/color/size combination came up at the right time when I had the cash to spend. I was thinking with the heart (or dick?) and not with the head on investment yield or depreciation rates. Dollars are not what Caterhams, Ultralites, Stalkers, Birkins, Westfields, etc are about. If I wanted to invest cash in a car I would not be buying a seven. A seven is about having fun, quality of life and realizing there is more to life than work, chores and effort. No one wants to be the richest person in the cemetary. So back to Joshesh - get out there and have fun shopping around the various specs, trying on the various cars for size and have even more fun driving whatever you buy! :driving: I am sure the California contingent would love to see you on the road next summer!
  3. Excellent post. Good to see you are getting out of Christchurch and away from all te tremors. Also makes me realize that I dont have as easy access to as great roads in my seven.
  4. A Birkin will be a fraction wider than an R500 for seat width like 1 inch or so - there will not be much in it. The one thing that you should do is try the Birkin to work out what seats you want - the standard road seats have a "special" reputation that can only understood by trying them. WCM Ultralites are available in kits, rollers or ready to thrash if you look at the order form here: http://wcmultralite.com/order_S2K.htm PM Loren (WestTexasS2K) here on the forum as he knows all about Ultralites
  5. My faith in mankind is reassured - I just love the way an innocent posting goes politically incorrect by page 2
  6. This is what I used for the Go Pro 2 - worked fine as you could see on the NJMP test day: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-145045-ME-15-Microphone/dp/B000815CF4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325708144&sr=8-3 The bimmer forums refer to this mic: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR-3350-Omnidirectional-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B002HJ9PTO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325708293&sr=1-1 I also tried this one on my POV VIO and it was passable but pretty cheap and the clip broke first time. THe Olympus was better quality sound. http://www.amazon.com/3-5-Computer-Clip-Mini-Microphone/dp/B001N0W2B6/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325708363&sr=1-22 The Go Pro 2 is internally powered so no powered mic is needed - just a simple plug and play one.
  7. Croc

    Bathurst Blat

    Nice one Peter! Brings back lots of good memories (and the odd bad one too). What engine is he using in the PRB? Sounded great.
  8. Not sure how I will feel after having stepped off a round the world flight just the day before. Is it the same Starbucks as last time?
  9. Is that where I am? :ack: Head feels like it is somewhere else other than Sydney right now....like under a jack hammer :puke: Epic new years eve in Sydney! :seeya: Nice PRB! Which version is it? S2, Composite, wide body, IRS?
  10. Posting this by phone. Sitting on a yacht, anchored just opposite the Sydney Opera House enjoying the perfect sunny blue sky day with another cold drink in hand. Fireworks start at 9pm and again at midnight. So to all Seveners, glass raised in cheers wishing a great 2012! :party:
  11. Go Pro 2 has a single external stereo 3.5mm mic plug socket. You need to use it with the skeleton case as the waterproof one blocks the socket. Works pretty well from my testing in November's track day. I am on the wait list for the wifi backpack so you can connect it to phones and other items to operate the camera remotely. Apparently you will be able to aim it via iphone/android.
  12. RaceRender is what I use to sync my GoProII/VIO POV/MD80 cameras to output from my datalogger. Luckily it is easy to use so I have faith you could make it work.
  13. Was this before or after Jon tried to drive it? :ack:
  14. The seven scrubbed up nicely in those photos. I do like a yellow seven. I think a prospective purchaser should try and live with the RHD first. I flip back and forth between US, UK, Germany and Australia all the time. Apart from the odd time of getting into the passenger seat and wondering where the steering wheel has gone or todays trick where I put the window down trying to change gear, I think it is fairly easy to switch back and forth. I would recommend an Ez-pass or similar e-toll tag though
  15. I saw it on my flight last week - superb viewing. Brought back the era of 80s/early 90s F1 so well. Definitely worth seeing - preferably with a nice high volume to enjoy the sound track.
  16. Jim - My experiments have shown me the rear "trunk" of my seven under the tonneau cover is the best mic placement for sound for me, despite it getting a fair amount of diff noise. The other option is run the mic forward way way way up under the dash but I get wind noise there. Not sure what brand data logger RNR is using but I can confirm that they are really good at wasting huge amounts of my time by analyzing track data. I am still studying my November track day data. When you merge it with the camera footage, I have found it very helpful at showing me where i am slow and can make changes to improve speed.
  17. there is a Merry Christmas post up in the Sevens board but hey I can do it again! Wishing the USA7s group a wonderful Christmas full of good food, alcohol, family, friendship and other things too naughty to mention! :cheers:
  18. Nonsense. Boxologist has graduated so is able to demonstrate great skill in hitting any auto-x cone plus make a Miata soar through the air and land safely mostly unscathed. Now rookie Slngsht here managed to get airborne but up-ended his Miata from a simple tail out spin. Pathetic freshman display of skill. I think Slngsht failed "Introductory Trashing Your Miata 101." :jester: Hi Jon! :seeya:
  19. Its not heading for depression - call it modestly positive growth (major growth around the mines, less so in the suburbanized east coast). Aussie/US dollar will come back to 0.93 during 2012 but the share market looks primed for a minimum 10% gain over all of 2012. Some people are doing it tough but overall it is better than what you are putting up with in Christchurch. Melbourne and Sydney feel fine from what I have seen this trip but I am hearing from the various family members I have in Brisbane that it is little flat with more workers than jobs. Sydney is way too expensive for accommodation costs but maybe do some research on whether Melbourne can offer the same opportunity with a better climate. I think it may just surprise you. Other options - reserach Newcastle/Hunter and Wollongong regions - larger in population than Christchurch, plenty of jobs, cheaper accommodation and a great quality of life available around there.
  20. I see you went to the Boxologist School of Driving Miatas! :jester:
  21. G'day Kiwi - I saw the news the other night just after I arrived in Sydney. The liquefaction looks really bad this time and so many people were interviewed on TV were clearly at breaking point saying its time to get out. I can understand your desire to want to move. If you need an Aussie citizen reference for the immigration papers let me know. I am helping another friend of mine make the move to Sydney for all the same reasons.
  22. Merry Christmas USA7s! :party: May I just point out that Kiwi's pic is actually from Sydney and not NZ but I will be out on the harbor with the boat later today enjoying that very view! It is a lovely 75 degrees (F) with blue skies. :cooldude:
  23. Shamelessly pinched from OzClubbies: Ford has announced plans to acquire French automaker Renault and engineering teams have already joined forces to create the perfect small car for women. Mixing the Renault Clio and the Ford Taurus, they have designed the Clitaurus. It comes in pink and the average male car thief won't be able to find it, let alone turn it on, even if someone tells him where it is and how to do it. Rumor has it though, that it leaks transmission fluid once a month and can be a real bitch to start in the morning! Some have reported that on cold winter mornings, when you really need it, you can't get it to turn over. New models are initially fun to own, but very costly to maintain and horribly expensive to get rid of. Used models may initially appear to have curb appeal and a low price, but eventually have an increased appetite for fuel, and the curb weight typically increases with age. Manufacturers are baffled as to how the size of the trunk increases, but say that the paint may just make it LOOK bigger. This model is not expected to reach collector status. Most owners find it is best to lease one, and replace it as needed.
  24. They do it differently down south?!!! Someone said there was driving as well? :conehead: What happens if you are not registered with NASA - do you get shoved down into hacker land?
  25. US$130k to US$195k I will be very interested to read the road test as sadly there is not much hope of getting a Donke here in the US.
×
×
  • Create New...