New Battery

Billy

Greetings

I’m sure this has been covered many times but some of the references are a little dated so I’m hoping to get the latest info. I have just received my new 420R but the battery seems to have failed after a couple of short drives. It won’t crank the motor.

What battery can I use that requires the least amount of surgery to terminals, brackets etc and does the job?

I can’t seem to find a Banner battery.

ill be posting pics of the car shortly.

many thanks in advance.

Congratulations on getting the car.  Given it is a new Caterham and the battery failed so quickly, it might be good to first determine if it is a duff battery, or something else.  Will it start on a jump?  Have you checked fluid level in the cells?  Have you checked alternator output? Have you confirmed all the cables are tight?  

Brand new Caterham?  Comes with a Banner battery as standard.  Horrible things.  Makes sense it has failed but I would follow the checks suggested by John above. 

Plenty of options out there.  Vlad mentioned Antigravity.  I know two others on USA7s using the same.  A lot of us use Odyssey batteries.  I prefer the PC680 for packaging reasons on the firewall plus they make a nice battery bracket to go with it.  But there are also a bunch of other models in their range - some even lighter than what I use.  Rideon lawnmower batteries are another option.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mccasksl said:

Is this the Odyssey PC-680 battery bracket you reference?

Amazon.com: Odyssey Battery HK-PC680 Hold Down Kit For Use : Automotive

Looks like a proper bracket.

Do you have a picture of it installed in a Caterham you can share?

Yes thats what I have installed in my car. 

Apologies I do not have any photos of my car handy to show you as I am in Florida this week.  I could take photos this weekend once I get back to the garage. 

Thanks Gents

i decide to go with the PC680 and have the hold down ordered. Hopefully it will all come together nearly. Still very disappointing that the stock battery failed after a few days!

Thanks again,

One comment on getting the longest life out of these batteries (and really, most AGMs): the charging requirements are not support by all chargers.  This recent thread goes into the topic in detail.