MEGABUSA = street legal!

Hank

More pics to follow, but I'm going to go driving right now! heheheh

Who needs wipers? :D 2 boxes of donuts went a LONG way today!

http://www.hanksmegabusa.com/images/052109/01.jpg

I received the plate and registration today at 2pm. I drove home and I could not fight the hunger pains any longer. No breakfast and no lunch had caught up with me. I slurped a vegetable soup down while I read the USA7s forum. :) After I ate I dove into the garage and quickly made holes to put the license plate on. I checked the fluids, checked the torque on all of the main bolts, and I pushed her out into the driveway. I cranked her up and once she warmed up I checked the oil level in the dry sump tank. I gathered all of the proper paperwork, wallet, helmet, and cellphone. I backed down the driveway and I sneaked out of the neighborhood without being spotted.

First time on the actual highway (instead of around the loop in my subdivision) so I took a few back roads at 45mph until I felt comfortable. Service road along Hwy. 1 has a lot of stop signs so I was able to check the brakes out for the first time. Earlier in the day while on the trailer I put 13 gallons of 93 octane in the tank so I'm good to go. Gauges are reading what they should, no cops, traffic is light, and the clouds are keeping the sun off my arms and neck. Once I got to the Intercoastal Bridge I turned and found a familiar stretch of highway that is 3 miles straight (industrial district). Speed limit is 50 mph. I accelerated to 50 mph a few times with no one around to make sure nothing fell off the car. Nothing did, so I decided to pick my first stop.

First destination was to NAPA in Port Allen to thank every single person behind the counter for helping me find parts to put on the car. Bunch of people were asking questions in the parking lot. Most people don't know motorcycles so when you tell them the engine is a Hayabusa they say "a high-ya what"? The word "cute" was mentioned a few times by some girls. It makes me twitch like someone ran their nails on a chalkboard. "Toy" was spoken a few times too. After a few minutes of gabbing I bought 2 more cotter pins (split pins) for the passenger side 4-pt harnesses. Away I went.

Second destination was back to my house to eat boiled crawfish. My plan was to ask the wife for permission to drive to bike nite across the river in Baton Rouge. When the word "okay" uttered out of a whisper I didn't bother asking again. :D I washed my hands 4-5 times and I jumped back into the driver's seat. Wallet. Check. Helmet. Check. Clear safety glasses. Check. Fed Ex envelope with all of the paperwork. Check. I fired her up, put her into reverse (and 1st) and I backed down the driveway. Neighbors are used to seeing this odd little white roller skate tooting around the neighborhood, but they were puzzled as to why I was now wearing a full face helmet.

Third destination was bike nite at Friendly Yamaha on Airline. Reception was wonderful from the bikers. Not one negative comment. :D Tons of Busas there and a bunch of people recognized the engine type from the exhaust note alone. Great group of people there. No Harley riders there, only crotch rockets. I tried to park away from the street where the hooligans do burnouts, endos, wheelies and other stunts. A friend of mine wanted a ride so we both jumped in. Not as easy to get into the 4-pt harnesses as he thought. A 5 minute wrestlefest between him and his wife and he was strapped in. We left the parking lot and hit the service road. I still don't like how fast the turn signals are. Twice as fast as they need to be. We turned onto the highway and peer pressure forced me to accelerate quicker than the law allows. Absolutely a dream to drive. 11,000 rpm came QUICK in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and I slowly backed off the throttle. Amazing.

The drive home was uneventful. Night time now so my tinted helmet visor is raised and I'm wearing clear safety glasses. :) Earlier in the day people would stare and wander into my lane to my amazement. At night they slowly pass as to not care. Just what I like. Pulled into the drive and I killed the engine. Neighbors don't like noise so I ran inside and opened the 1-car garage door. I pushed the MEGABUSA (now nicknamed "Lucky") into her home.

What a night. What a day. It's been a rocky 6 months, but it has finally paid off.

I will take final pictures and update my website soon.

Thanks for reading. Hell, I hope somebody reads this whole thing.

Edited by Hank

Hank,

Congratulations...

Read it all...!!! I know the feeling and it just never ends. A 5 minute run to the corner grocery now takes 20 minutes. I finally ended up with nice, glossy business cards with a photo, my name and web site info. This helps speed up some of the stops.

Jack

Really like the black cage on the white body!

Get used to the rock star treatment, it never ends. Every stop involves the 4 H's: How fast, How much $, How's the gas mileage and Hoo makes it?

Also get used to other drivers zooming right up to your rear bumper (OK, where your rear bumper would be if you had one) to get a closer look. It can be a bit unnerving.

Mike

Edited by Kitcat

Hank,

I read the whole thing and it's a great first LEGAL day. I also read your bio afew months back, and I also worked on the 1232 project at Sun-Philly. I work for Nooter, we built the scrubber unit.

Good luck with the 7, Drive it like you stole it, it's more fun !!! Steve

Congrats...I have been skirting by on a temporary from Texas but scheduled my inspection for June 23rd (the first available slot!)...all I did was go buy the thing and I'm anxious and chomping at the bit so I can only imagine what the process is like for you guys that built your Sevens up from scratch.

Have agood long weekend with Lucky!

Kyle

Kyle, here are the steps I had to do in order to make my MEGABUSA street legal:

1. Finish building the car.

2. Get bonded for insurance.

3. Go to DMV headquarters off Independence Blvd. in Baton Rouge. It is the building to the right of the State Police Headquarters. Check in with the lady behind the window and tell her you need a kit car registered. She will call one of the DMV ladies and she will direct you to them. Most don't deal with kit cars so you might be pushed from one lady to another or straight to the supervisor. Amy was the girl that completed my entire process.

4. Bring a Certificate of Origin for the chassis and all of the parts for the vehicle. I also had a certificate of origin for the motor/tranny I bought from the salvage yard in Texas.

5. DMV will start the paperwork for your kit car. They will provide you an application, an odometer statement for the donor engine/tranny.

6. DMV will give you the phone number for State Police Towing & Recovery section. Contact them and ask for a vehicle inspection and to issue you a VIN.

7. Trooper will show up to your house (or you might have to trailer to him) and after 45 minutes of sitting in his truck with your paperwork he issues you a 9-digit VIN.

8. Trailer the vehicle to a chassis shop and have the VIN stamped into the chassis in at least 2 spots. I took my car to Madman Racing & Co. in Gonzales.

9. Trailer the vehicle to an inspection station and have it physically inspected for street use. You will be issued a rejection sticker and letter because of no license plate or registration. I had to be inspected as a motorcycle in the computer because an automobile requires a 17-digit VIN and the Trooper only assigned me a 9-digit VIN.

10. Go back to DMV and pay tax, title, and license fees. Show proof of physical inspection, the failed sticker, etc.

11. DMV cannot give you your license plate, registration, or title until the Trooper looks at your vehicle one last time.

12. Call the Trooper back and meet up somewhere to show him that the VIN has been stamped into the chassis at least twice.

13. Trooper gives you a blue/silver sticker to affix on the car somewhere. I put mine under the dash.

14. If DMV is nice, they would have already gave the Trooper your plate and registration. Trooper will provide them to you after the blue/silver sticker is put on your car.

15. Title is sent through the mail to your home (1-2 business days).

16. DONE!

Congratulations Hank! Tasks completed!

I was recounting the silliness / simpleness of the Georgia process to a friend yesterday .. He had a big grin on his face the whole time :D I hope to meet you in person so I can tell you the whole story :D

Rob