New Build

Pokey

Just received a 420R kit ordered from Bruce Beachman (Beachman Racing) in early August. The juxtaposition of an open build slot, a weak British Pound and a wife who seemingly prefers me in the garage has me pausing the home remodel for something a bit more fun. I'll post pictures and probably a few questions as the build proceeds. My goal is to be licensed and on the road this summer, but I'm in no rush as I plan to relish the experience.

I've not yet counted up the number of boxes, but we have the crate with the chassis, a much smaller crate with the motor, two seats, four tires, rear axle, and the boxes. Lots of boxes.

IMG_2938_small.jpgIMG_2939.jpg

Edited by Pokey

Welcome to the forum and thanks for starting a build thread -- with pictures! We love pictures.

I believe we spoke at Bruce's party in December (I'm the Westfield owner who was selling the benefits of 13" wheels). Lot's of experienced folks here who can help if you get stuck along the way. Given I'm local to you, don't hesitate to drop me a PM if you need a hand.

-John

Welcome to the forum and thanks for starting a build thread -- with pictures! We love pictures.

I believe we spoke at Bruce's party in December (I'm the Westfield owner who was selling the benefits of 13" wheels). Lot's of experienced folks here who can help if you get stuck along the way. Given I'm local to you, don't hesitate to drop me a PM if you need a hand.

-John

Thanks John. I do recall you and our conversation about wheels. I opted for 13" wheels based on blind reasoning, so it was nice to get some reassurance from someone who could speak to the difference. But I'm sure 15" are just as good if not better so love all around!

Congratulations on your new kit. I believe you will find the building part to be one of the best parts of owning a Seven.

Good luck.

Thanks Jerry. You hit my motivation right on the nose. I've always wanted a British sports car and figured one day I'd have something vintage to restore (that might still happen), but being able to start from scratch'ish and have something that was actually sporty in the end made the 7 an obvious choice.

Looks like Christmas arrived a little late in that garage!

Welcome to the forum! I also chatted with you at Bruce's Christmas party. You picked a sweet spot in the seven range - not too much hp for the road and very quick for the track day fun. 13 inch wheels are perfect - I run them on my 420R and CSR - less rotational mass so you accelerate quicker and the thicker side profile improves ride comfort and (to my mind) improves handling.

My first suggestion is do an inventory of everything you have now. I guarantee you will be missing the old bolt, nut or part so its always good to identify this now, put your request in to get them so that you do not get an interruption during the build right when you have momentum going.

Looking forward to seeing this build progress!

Cheers

mike

You didn't waste any time!

To others: note that Caterham now fit the windscreen and the full weather-gear as standard with kits. This is a somewhat good idea, since the gasket for the base of the windscreen requires patience to correctly fit (heat is involved, and to avoid paint damage, a second set of hands is a requirement), and correctly locating the side-screen hinges so that everything indexes and seals to a nicely-stretched top is another task requiring care, as it is all VERY visible.

Greg - this is a great community of owners. Welcome aboard!

Cheers,

-Bruce

Looks like Christmas arrived a little late in that garage!

Welcome to the forum! I also chatted with you at Bruce's Christmas party. You picked a sweet spot in the seven range - not too much hp for the road and very quick for the track day fun. 13 inch wheels are perfect - I run them on my 420R and CSR - less rotational mass so you accelerate quicker and the thicker side profile improves ride comfort and (to my mind) improves handling.

My first suggestion is do an inventory of everything you have now. I guarantee you will be missing the old bolt, nut or part so its always good to identify this now, put your request in to get them so that you do not get an interruption during the build right when you have momentum going.

Looking forward to seeing this build progress!

Cheers

mike

I remember you Mike, I don't often meet someone that even knows what a Holden is what's more own one (or more).

An inventory seems like a good idea, just might be a little tricky as it isn't like Caterham provided a build list. Guess I'll have to go through the manual and compare box contents to pictures :)

Edited by Pokey

More pictures. Ford Duratec with a claimed 210 HP at the crank. Has anyone ever tested this claim on a dyno? Not that it matters, just curious is all.

2b.jpg 2a.jpg

Edited by Pokey

I mentioned there were a lot of boxes but wasn't sure how many. Now that things are somewhat organized I see there are 13 boxes, and one concrete form tube holding the muffler. Not shown in the picture are the four fenders, nose cone, bonnet, doors, seats, weather hoods and some small boxes that were stashed in the car for shipment.

IMG_3022.jpg

I'm not sure how much detail folks would like to see in this thread. For my purposes I've taken a picture of the label and the inside of each box. I can post these if there is interest, just don't want to overwhelm with the trivial. In a couple of weeks I'll start pulling items out of the boxes and laying them out on the floor to take inventory. I'll take pictures and post those as that strikes me as being more interesting than boxes. However, I have the pictures of box labels and contents if anyone would find it interesting or helpful - just holler.

First off, Congratulations on your 7. It’s been a while for a new build thread on this forum, I would love to see anything you deem fun , informative, or maybe something you have a question about. So I say post up, I have plenty of time to look at pictures. Lol. One of the joys of being retired.. my first question is we’re did you source the engine? I read the transmission is Mazda...

I mentioned there were a lot of boxes but wasn't sure how many. Now that things are somewhat organized I see there are 13 boxes...... and some small boxes......

I'm not aware of where you are located, but your post reminds me of when I went to register my Caterham as a "specially constructed vehicle" in Florida. The inspector--an armed State Trooper--was particularly impressed and swayed by the picture of all the boxes that the Caterham came in. Excellent evidence that the vehicle was "specially constructed" and not from stolen parts.

Good luck with the build.

I remember you Mike, I don't often meet someone that even knows what a Holden is what's more own one (or more).

An inventory seems like a good idea, just might be a little tricky as it isn't like Caterham provided a build list. Guess I'll have to go through the manual and compare box contents to pictures :)

Greg, congrats! No doubt you've found some already but the build blogs from other builders are really useful and have better pictures and explanations than the official manuals. A couple are:

https://caterham420rbuild.com/other-caterham-sites/

https://www.purplemeanie.co.uk/index.php/2017/09/23/build-session-17-5-caterham-420r-water-and-oil-overview/ (The diagram John made for plumbing were really useful).

I just finished my 420R SV a few months ago so if you need any help let me know!

Simon

I'm not sure how much detail folks would like to see in this thread. For my purposes I've taken a picture of the label and the inside of each box. I can post these if there is interest, just don't want to overwhelm with the trivial. In a couple of weeks I'll start pulling items out of the boxes and laying them out on the floor to take inventory. I'll take pictures and post those as that strikes me as being more interesting than boxes. However, I have the pictures of box labels and contents if anyone would find it interesting or helpful - just holler.

Post as much detail as you're willing, people will skim past what they aren't interested in.