Jump to content

yellowss7

Club Member
  • Posts

    3,100
  • Joined

Everything posted by yellowss7

  1. Welcome! I too am in Pennsylvania. I ordered and built my Caterham several years ago. What specfically would you like info on? Tom
  2. Congrats! Just make sure to get an airfilter on those intakes first thing! I too had a horrible experience with the butthead that I ordered my car from. Enjoy it, there's nothing else like a 7. Tom
  3. Martin, you know that Jon never takes out just one cone! Can you add the timing box and a whole line of cones to be more accurate? :d Jon, your a legend in the Philly region. :leaving: Tom
  4. eVox, I hope you have a reallly low seat or realllllly thin legs because from the view in the photo, those wheels are HUGE. :lol: Tom
  5. yellowss7

    Fluids

    I guess it all depends. Is it a new engine? Has it been "broken in?" If new common wisdom is Mineral based oil, for at least 500 miles then synthetic. I use AmSoil 10-40 in mine. Don't think there is any real advantage in brands. I'm sure others will weigh in on their preferences. What gearbox? The Caterham 6 speed really likes RedLine MTL. As for brake fluid, Castrol GT LMA works for me. Radiator type? Aluminum, steel?? I have an aluminum one, and use Zerex. As for the rear. I used Castrol but can't recall the weight. I have an LSD so I guess it depends on the type of rear you have too. Tom
  6. Get rid of the cycle wings and get a proper set of Clams! Tom
  7. It's been a few year now, but I remember the instructions said to attach the Propshaft(english term) to the diff and intall them together as a unit. (I remember because it was very Heavy to hold up and get the propshaft in the tunnel while a buddy played with the spacers and the long bolt trying to center and mount the diff. Don't know if you can do it after the diff is in. Seemed to me that there's not alot of room to get it in and torque it up. Tom
  8. Relax, the build is not that difficult. Mine only took 80 hours total and really requires nothing more than the ability to turn a wrench the correct way, and the luck of selecting the right fasteners. If you're in the Baltimore area, you're about a 90 minute drive. Let me know if you need help. The true wonderkind on this site are those that build theirs from scratch, like Martin or redesign them like Mazda. The challenge with Caterhams in my opinion is finding the correct bolts. :cuss: :cuss: tom
  9. Any Idea on cost? The AVON Cr500's in those sizes are about $200 a piece. And that was before the exchange rate exceeded 2:1.
  10. Well they are half right. I never said it had anything to do with anti cavitation.:nonod: I said Vibration, which could damage the sender. Don't know what motor you're running, but the fact that they have to move it sounds like it is a "remote sender":lol: Curiously enough, when I mounted mine I had to order a special adaptor fitting to mate the sender to the braided line as the fittings were not compatible.
  11. Anyone want to buy a Porsche????:lol: :lol: Wow that vette looks awesome!!! Looks like it will give most 4 banger sevens a severe beating. Think you can still take this one Mazda? Tom
  12. Ok, Lift was delivered this morning. I left the garage door opener/door where it was and set the lift forward a liitle. Seems to work out ok. Seven is up for the winter and the Porker is also inside. Anyone interested in an Oldsmobile Aurora????:smash: :smash: :rofl: :rofl: Here's a few pics. Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I'm glad I did it. :thumbs: Tom http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/412212531_PC190247.JPG http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/118608928_PC190248.JPG http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/1731942826_PC190261.JPG http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/1171362519_PC190263.JPG
  13. After the special interest groups and congress got a hold of the 7 it would have to have a V8, large wheels, a larger cockpit, a computer for a dash..... :surprised: :leaving: Just Kidding Mazda. :d Tom
  14. Thanks guys!! The porker is really a nice car, though it doesn't get the admiration the 7 gets. Tomorrow the 4 post lift is being delivered. Christmas really did come early!!! My daughters are all excited about learning how to drive a stick. I wouldn't let them learn on the 7 as it is waaayy too fast and twitchy. A nice slow Porsche should be ok. :bs: Pics of the lift tomorrow. Tom
  15. If he doesn't sell it by the spring, all Steve has to do is bring it to the next Philly Region Autox, and stick a for sale sign on it and it will be sold. That way we can keep it in the area. :hurray: Lance sold his car to his neighbor in Yardley and I'm in Media, and there is at least one other 7 in the Montgomery county area. So we've got you surrounded. Congratulations on the Registration, see you in the spring. Tom
  16. The oil sender return sounds alot like the remote oil pressure sender kit. That small metal cylinder with the male input and electrical post is the Oil pressure sender. Fittings should be a banjo bolt, copper washers and the braided line. Mounts on the Oil filter housing. It's intended to reduce vibration to the OPS which is normally mounted directly to the housing. The OPS is known to be a very unreliable unit. New Replacement ones have often been found to be defective. The interior aluminium trim pieces are the knee plates that fit under the dash and enclose the open area where the windscreen stantions bolt onto. If you're tall, then you may want to delete them as it can give you some extra knee room. Tom
  17. Well, after much handringing, the seller, not me, traded his 2002 Carrara 2 in on a red 2008 Cabriolet. The Porsche dealer facilitated the courtesy trade. Sitting next to my 7 is now a brand new (well almost) 2002 996 with a total of 4560 miles on it!!! The Dealer actually said it was the cleanest tradein they ever saw. Guess I'm not getting anything else for Christmas now. I've ordered a 4 post lift that should be delivered next week. I think I can position the lift far enough rearward in the garage so that if I back the se7en on the garage door motor will be positioned in front of the windshield and over the bonnet, giving me a little more clearance. If not I'll have to have the garage door raised and a new flush mount door lifting motor installed. :ack: First impressions is that the Porsche is a nice car to drive. Smooth, responsive, very Civilized. Surprisingly, with the 18 inch low profile wheels and tires, it actually seems to be a rougher ride than the se7en. Wonder how it will handle the hills in the snow we're supposed to get tonight??? :lol: :lol:
  18. Jeff, it's easy to get 10 inch wheels and slicks under the front and rear wings. First off I have the wide track front end, which from your pics it appears you do too. Second I have Clams. :d And the Name's Tom. :cheers: http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/1680911898_Copy of DSC_6221 boeing july 06.jpg
  19. Mazda wrote: We'll I thought I was, We agreed on price. I spoke to the Porsche dealer re: a 2year warranty. Am making arragnements to raise the overhead garage door track. Have called re having a lift installed. Haven't heard back from my buddy yet today. :confused: Maybe he got cold feet. i'll keep you informed. Tom
  20. He just posted an apology on Blatchat. http://http://www.blatchat.com/t.asp?Id=142979 this is the whole blatchat community response. (15 pages long :ack: ) http://http://www.blatchat.com/t.asp?Id=143132 This is Ansar's response.
  21. Be careful what you wish for. My Rover K series C/R is 12:4:1 and Sunoco 100 octane GT race fuel cost over $8.00 a gallon. :cuss: :ack: Tom
  22. That's actually Ansar Ali, the Managing Director of Caterham Cars. I can't take credit for it. There's a raging discussion going on in BlatChat over the comments he made in the November Caterham Life email.
  23. How this for a compromise? The New GT 7 :d http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/1625574243_caterham_gt3.jpg
  24. I had one just like that only in black for my first car a 68 spitfire. For the Spit it was appropriate, due to the low hp. For the seven not so much. Have some pride man! :d Tom
  25. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :thumbs: :party: :seeya: have a great trip. See you in the spring. Tom
×
×
  • Create New...