-
Posts
3,100 -
Joined
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Store
Articles
Gallery
Events
Library
Everything posted by yellowss7
-
Gotta love Rover K series engined Cats. :cooldude: That makes at least three of us here.
-
Less than four months to go now. I thought I'd give it another bump to see if I can shake a couple more of you out of your winter funk and get you to raise your hand as a possible attendee. No commitment, just like to get an idea who is planning on coming and to see if we can shake a few more of you out of your comfort zone to come out and join us at the track. Croc says that he will refund your fee if you don't enjoy yourself. :jester: So get your car ready and make your plans. Hotel booking is never too early. Come on Spring!!! Tom
-
"playing with on the street" You need to be very careful, because if you are pushing it on the street, the trees and telephone poles aren't far away and at any speed that makes you feel like you are pushing it, there will be no room for error. The track is the place to push it and safely have fun. IMHO the LSI for the street in a stalker is way overkill. On track it's a different equation. The only difference between a 4 cylinder 7 and a V& one is straightaway speed. Each should handle well You'll just go thru brake pads and rotors more often with the V8. Enjoy your search. Tom
-
Newbie Already Needing Parts & Repairs
yellowss7 replied to AveryCloseCall's topic in General Sevens Discussion
Shipping from England for body parts is going to be expensive. You may want to give Bruce Beachman a call as he's a Caterham dealer and probably gets routine shipment that might save you a bit. Also he's a good source for helping spec the correct parts. As for your wings, If not cracked horribly, you can fiberglass and paint them. Just do the math, labor vs. New part cost. The Odyssey 690 battery is a good replacement option. Might need a new tie down bracket though. -
Tell me the pros and cons of this Birkin please.
yellowss7 replied to Lightguy's topic in General Sevens Discussion
IMO, if you are looking for a track only car, the sequential is nice. But I don't think it's ideal for the street. My Sadev sequential with the Geartronix paddle shifters, is really smooth shifting when revving the nuts off it, but anything less than that it's not. Again, my personal experience, but since I have another Caterham with a caterahm six speed I can give a fairly unbiased and experienced opinion. On track and street the Caterham six speed is the better option. Tom -
Santa Came early - R400 Roller Barrel Conversion!
yellowss7 replied to SK400's topic in General Tech
Looks professionally done Seb. Nice work. Tom -
Michael, you and I are probably the only two old school guys that have clams. :seeya: Unscrew the side marker lamp on the clam, and lif off. The bolt that holds the light one goes thru the wing stay. There is a small lock nut underneath the wing stay. Once that is off, you can unbolt the clams by removing all the bolts along the bottom of the clam.
-
I bought the Orange caterham 2 years ago and it came with several sets of used Michelins which at that time were a Euro only spec. I ran through those sets and last year I found that they were now being imported into the US so I bought a new set. After running the old hard used ones for two years, the new ones were better but not as good as the Hoosiers iMO. I'm working on having the car set up with new rear spring rates and having it recornerweighted and all the other suspension settings reset. I'll see how it feels and then if not to my liking, I'll take the wingstays off and try it on the hoosiers. I'd be interested in knowing how your wingstay spacing works. Any photos? The Michelins are also a lot pricier than the Hoosiers, around $400 a tire. :ack::ack::ack:
-
Hi Brad, I autoxed on the 20x9 hoosiers at all for corners and used them on track for a year. You are correct, they are too short and hurt the top end and shift points in all gears on track. IMO I ran the 22.5 x 9 inch ones in the 25B compound and love them. They stick like glue and wear fine. I could fit them in on my yellow car with the Clams but on the Orange car, with cycle wings they won't fit unless I run without the front wings or have new wingstays fabbed up that give more room. I miss them badly. :svengo: The R888's are fine and wear like iron. but compared to the Hoosiers they are like wagon wheels. I'm running Michelin Radials now and they come up short of the Hoosiers by a mile, but do wear a lot longer Tom
-
yeah, Karl the original owner may have even been 6'8". The orange SV I bought from him does have the lowered floors and a tall roll cage. I'm 6'1 and before I put the tillet seats on adjustable runners, I had to sit on a pad and have one behind me to see over the wind deflector and reach the pedals. Unfortunately, I am in Pa, so not proximate for a test. But if you make want to make a trip out to NJMP for our July 7's gathering, you will get your fill of caterhams. Not quite the number at Stoneleigh, but probably the most you'll see in one place in the US. Tom
-
Santa Came early - R400 Roller Barrel Conversion!
yellowss7 replied to SK400's topic in General Tech
Add a couple of wings and a turbo and the way you fly around the track, you might just get liftoff! :driving: -
Santa Came early - R400 Roller Barrel Conversion!
yellowss7 replied to SK400's topic in General Tech
Congrats Seb. Guess that MIT engineering degree paid off after all. :jester: -
Seb, a 620R should be able to stay ahead of Kitcat or at least not let him lap him if he starts out a couple cars behind Kitcat. Kitcat is really a pussycat otherwise, it's just turn 4 that he likes to cut and kick up a little dirt. Might have to get NJMP to put up a haybale or some spike strips to deter him a bit. :jester: Tom
-
Beautiful car. Can't wait to see it on track. Hope to see you in July at NJMP Tom
-
Shaping up to be another good turn out. Looks like we will have a good mix of veterans and new attendees. The more the merrier. Should be a nice mix of Marques as well, Last year the Storkers were conspicuously absent. Will Shane get his act together and make it this year? Inquiring minds want to know. We really miss Suave. :jester: I took my car over to the shop today. It started right up after sitting since November. General maintenance, oil change, Brake Fluid change, bearing check and a complete nut and bolt check. Replacing and moving the inertial cutoff switch to inside the cockpit as I had it trip last season on track and sat in the infield all session waiting to be towed in. Felt good to drive the Caterham again even if it was just down the street to put it in the trailer. Hope to see you all in July. tom Drivers 1) Croc 2)Yellowss7 +1 3)Kitcat 4)SK400 5)Black Hole 6)JBH 7)Simon450 8)Spc_CwBy 9)Ottocycle 10)Wemtd 11)FMorser 12)FE07 13)BirkinDave H 14)TBox56 15)Dave D and Bev 16)Dan3030 +1 17)FastG 50/50 Spectating: 1)Blake J
-
My orange car goes into the shop tomorrow for it's pre season check, and looking at the calendar we are now just Five months away from the start of the 7th annual 7s gathering and track day weekend. I'll start the list of those that are planning on attending this year. Feel free to chime in if you are thinking of or planning to attend either as a driver or a spectator and I will add you to the list. Last year we had 20 cars and this year we feel that 24 or more could easily be in attendance if some get their act together and finish their cars. The more the merrier. Drivers 1) Croc 2)Yellowss7 3)Kitcat 4)SK400 5)Black Hole 6)JBH 7)Simon450 8)Spc_CwBy 9)Ottocycle 10)Wemtd 11)FMorser 12)FE07 13)BirkinDave H Spectating: 1)Blake J
-
That is just sick. His Balls must be a lot bigger than Shane's. :seeya:
-
Got any speeding tickets in your Seven?
yellowss7 replied to Road Ready's topic in General Sevens Discussion
Take it to the track. It's legal and safer. Most everyone is going the same way, no one is texting or talking on their phones. Most drivers are aware of the rules of the road. There is usually run off room not trees or poles, if you do happen to run out of talent.:jester: You only have to look out for Kitcat. :svengo: -
Santa Came early - R400 Roller Barrel Conversion!
yellowss7 replied to SK400's topic in General Tech
Skill and Horsepower, now that is a winning combination. The Red twins will have to work a little harder this year. :cooldude: Tom -
Welcome to the big boy club. :smilielol5: Hopefully you and your son will make it out a few times to shake it down before the July 7s gathering. We will be looking out for you. Tom
-
No longer a dreamer, now a 7 owner
yellowss7 replied to Black Hole's topic in General Sevens Discussion
Sevenup, no disrespect intended. I just wanted to warn you that you might need to undercoat or something the underside of the wings to keep them from the star cracking. These cars are so much fun it would be ashame not to drive it just to keep it purtty. Taber you on the otherhand need to let your wife take it out and drive it on track. You know she wants to. :toetap05: Come on up to NJMP this summer and we will put her in the novice group with no passing and we will provide and instructor.:party: Tom -
No longer a dreamer, now a 7 owner
yellowss7 replied to Black Hole's topic in General Sevens Discussion
Always good to have spare wings.:smilielol5: -
No longer a dreamer, now a 7 owner
yellowss7 replied to Black Hole's topic in General Sevens Discussion
You don't EVER want to follow kitcat around if you are worried about a few stone chips. BTW you should be aware that the star crack that appear in the rear wings or in Clams are from stones that come off the tires underneath the wings. So if you are really worried about keeping your wings looking pristine, you will need to do something on the underside of the wings to limit the damage from the underside. Either that or don't drive it. :deadhorse: Or just buy a new set of wings and keep them for your shows. They are easy enough to change over. I use to do that when I auotxed. http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=12048&stc=1
