Sevens Event - NJMP Drivers Club June 28-30, 2019 - Final Event Details

Croc

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John B: I have that set up so be prepared to have your helmet try to suck your head off your neck with the aeroscreen! If you can find a helmet with down force, buy it. At a measly 116 mph (per Norm who measured our Zetecs' straightway speeds), the pull of my helmet was noticeable. You go faster in your car, and likely stick up farther, so the effect may be greater. Surprisingly, I have never had anything impact my helmet or face mask at speed with the cutdown aeroscreen.

Kitcat, that's because most of us stay on track. You on the otherhand, constantly throw up all kinds of stones and rocks with your off road corner cutting. :smash::driving:

I have the brooklands screen on Yellow and the carbon aeroscreen on Orange. I have been hit by lots of stones/rock from you and others. I agree with you about the helmet.

I have one with the duckbill chin protrusion and id does help, but on the front straight your helmet will pull your head up. I've forgot to buckle my helmet strap a couple times ad it's a good thing I have a Hans device attached to the helmet that is held down by my shoulder harness. Otherwise the helmet would definitely made a break for freedom.

(somewhat off topic) Yellowss7 - I found your seats in Orange to be comfortable and offer more lateral support than my current equipment. However your seats are too wide for my Birkin. Do you know whether the Caterham passenger seat made by Tillett? IIRC your drivers seat is a Tillett - do you have any idea which seat #'s they are? Do you, or anyone, know if the various Tilletts all "fit" similarly aside from seat width?

thanks

p.

Paul, I believe that the Caterham branded passenger seat in Orange is made by Tillet. It is slightly different than the driver's side Tillet in a couple ways, Its headrest is higher and is raked a bit more forward which may affect driving posistion with a helmet on. I believe it is slightly narrower, but not 100% sure. Finally, it does not have the side holes that the driver seat has that allow the lap belts to slide thru the seat opening.

I believe they mount similarly, and I think that Tillet offers several different width seats. Original owner Karl, had them installed, so I'm not sure of all the particulars.

Tom

Driver side was a Tillet B2 from recollection. It was the one that was option fitment in the CSR. It should be the seat that Karl modifier with an angle grinder to accommodate his trochanters (I think that’s the anatomy he was dealing with?).

Let me find a photo of passenger side to look at - I suspect it is a B6.

Kitcat, Thanks for the Helmet info. I've experienced helmet lift in open wheel cars, but it's probably going to be worse in the Caterham as the driver is more exposed.

I'm currently using a Stilo helmet designed for open cockpits, we'll see how it goes.

Hey guys!

Sorry, i'm late to the party adding to this thread. Have been busy returning home in CT, then Canada, and now on my way to Montana. All for good reasons but have been on the road none stop.

Let me first thank Mike and Tom very very much for all of their work and efforts in pulling this event together. You guys rock!!! Massive thanks for all that you do for the group, keeping the spirit of the sevens alive and going. Hands down awesome.

I had a blast. I think that of all the Seven events, this was probably my favorite one. Unsure why, perhaps because of the two tracks, perhaps because of the fast driving we all did, the camaraderie, my new red "pimped ride" , my new haircut after trying a few gears in Tom's orange beast (this thing is SICK..) .. or simply because of the humor and friendship that prevailed the entire weekend.

LET'S KEEP THIS GOING! 10th anniversary.. HERE WE COME! . we will need T- Shirts and caps made.

A few random thoughts:

To Jay - you are a hero. Driving a Cat from Hartford and back deserves super hero physical endurance award. I'm really sorry about the brake and the weekend, but you took it like a real Seven owner.

To Vlad & Paige - terrific meeting you both. Love the color scheme of your car! you and i could share the same red toolbox and air pump. it would match. (sorry, not sharing underwear)

To Blake & Paula - agree on the award, fast and consistent on the track. Paula, we share the same heritage. You are the best Caterham neighbors in CT.

To John & Connor - great meeting you both. D***, you are both fast!! and caught me by surprised on the track. Awesome lapping with you guys.

To Simon & Carry - you guys are awesome. Simon, you are lightning fast and look up to you. But i have to say that Carry stole the glory as the "best and craziest passenger" ever...

To Mike (kitkat) - you continue to impress me.

To Dan & Michelle - awesome seeing you guys. Particularly enjoyed my Nigel Mansel moment.. Thanks for the glory

To Tom - now i know why you circle around the pits with your orange beast waiting for the green flag. Getting this SICK thing started and rolling is already a accomplishment..

To Jeff - love your new blue ride! beautiful car

Looking ahead, i am indeed concerned that our new friends JohnB and Connor will find a way to gained another 10 to 15 mph at the end of the straight .. which will be our certain doom. We can't let this happen or we need to step up . .. more to come on this over the next few months.. We will call this project "THE REVENGE OF THE REDs"

And i would be remiss not admitting that i'm still shaking from my Orange gear shift experience. Yes "Vroom Vroom" dreams, Tom. Perhaps Orange is the new red?

(somewhat off topic) Yellowss7 - I found your seats in Orange to be comfortable and offer more lateral support than my current equipment. However your seats are too wide for my Birkin. Do you know whether the Caterham passenger seat made by Tillett? IIRC your drivers seat is a Tillett - do you have any idea which seat #'s they are? Do you, or anyone, know if the various Tilletts all "fit" similarly aside from seat width?

Paul - Just checked again. The driver side was a B2 - it was the largest Tillet at the time for Karl and his wide hips and even then the seat bears the scars of some surgery with an angle grinder. Caterham sold it as the CSR seat - different to the regular SV for some reason

The passenger seat was the Caterham branded but Tillet-made seat that approximates the B6. It differs slightly as the styling/design has changed a bit over the years. There are now different sized B6s - was not always that way.

The full catalog is here, including dimensions:

https://www.tillett.co.uk/car-racing-seat.asp

i am indeed concerned that our new friends JohnB and Connor will find a way to gained another 10 to 15 mph at the end of the straight .. which will be our certain doom. We can't let this happen or we need to step up . .. more to come on this over the next few months.. We will call this project "THE REVENGE OF THE REDs"

I am distinctly underwhelmed...Seb/Simon? Revenge of the Turds? :bs:

I just need to put my 13 inch wheels with slicks back on and that gives me +20mph top speed by improving the gear ratios via tire diameter and so better acceleration out of corners plus better handling plus I drop the passenger rides. End result is John becomes my track chew toy. :seeya:

But maybe I need to shoot for the moon with a super-secret skunkworks project? Quoting Seb: "More to come on this over the next few months." ;) Nothing English or French is allowed to be faster than me! :cool:

Hey guys!

Sorry, i'm late to the party adding to this thread. Have been busy returning home in CT, then Canada, and now on my way to Montana. All for good reasons but have been on the road none stop.

Let me first thank Mike and Tom very very much for all of their work and efforts in pulling this event together. You guys rock!!! Massive thanks for all that you do for the group, keeping the spirit of the sevens alive and going. Hands down awesome.

I had a blast. I think that of all the Seven events, this was probably my favorite one. Unsure why, perhaps because of the two tracks, perhaps because of the fast driving we all did, the camaraderie, my new red "pimped ride" , my new haircut after trying a few gears in Tom's orange beast (this thing is SICK..) .. or simply because of the humor and friendship that prevailed the entire weekend.

LET'S KEEP THIS GOING! 10th anniversary.. HERE WE COME! . we will need T- Shirts and caps made.

A few random thoughts:

To Jay - you are a hero. Driving a Cat from Hartford and back deserves super hero physical endurance award. I'm really sorry about the brake and the weekend, but you took it like a real Seven owner.

To Vlad & Paige - terrific meeting you both. Love the color scheme of your car! you and i could share the same red toolbox and air pump. it would match. (sorry, not sharing underwear)

To Blake & Paula - agree on the award, fast and consistent on the track. Paula, we share the same heritage. You are the best Caterham neighbors in CT.

To John & Connor - great meeting you both. D***, you are both fast!! and caught me by surprised on the track. Awesome lapping with you guys.

To Simon & Carry - you guys are awesome. Simon, you are lightning fast and look up to you. But i have to say that Carry stole the glory as the "best and craziest passenger" ever...

To Mike (kitkat) - you continue to impress me.

To Dan & Michelle - awesome seeing you guys. Particularly enjoyed my Nigel Mansel moment.. Thanks for the glory

To Tom - now i know why you circle around the pits with your orange beast waiting for the green flag. Getting this SICK thing started and rolling is already a accomplishment..

To Jeff - love your new blue ride! beautiful car

Looking ahead, i am indeed concerned that our new friends JohnB and Connor will find a way to gained another 10 to 15 mph at the end of the straight .. which will be our certain doom. We can't let this happen or we need to step up . .. more to come on this over the next few months.. We will call this project "THE REVENGE OF THE REDs"

And i would be remiss not admitting that i'm still shaking from my Orange gear shift experience. Yes "Vroom Vroom" dreams, Tom. Perhaps Orange is the new red?

Great meeting you Seb, and everyone. I worked hard at remembering names. Hope they stick in my brain for next year.

Wow this arms race is getting very interesting, very quickly. I sense that anyone under 250 hp is going to need to hide in a bomb shelter.

By the way, if anyone lost a blue chair, Michelle and I were the last to leave the paddock/ garage at Tbolt Sunday and there was a chair left behind. We asked around during Sunday dinner, but perhaps whosever it was had already left. PM me if it's yours.

Wow, so much posturing by the Duratec owners: it's like we Zetec owners present no threat:)! I will be lurking in the weeds next year (hopefully not literally....), as I know my fellow Zetec owners (Norm, Blake, Vlad, Scott, Jeff and others) will be. Just like at this years karting, where the top 3 guys took each other out near the end and I was able to cruise to a podium finish, you guys will self immolate trying to eek out a victory and we will be waiting!

Also I will have some plans to add top add speed, including crouching lower in the car (est to add 5 mph), cleaning bugs off the areoscreen (another +5 mph), adding lightness by switching from long sleeved shirts to short sleeved (yet another +5 mph), and preventing oil from leaking onto my pedal assembly (you cant go fast if your foot keeps slipping off the accelerator!).

Your Duratecs can run but can not hide from the mighty Zetecs (what we lack in power we make up for in cunning).

Edited by Kitcat