road car driving gear

NSXguy

Ditto Skip, tho I just used plexiglass safety googles. I also used ear plugs, earmuffs over the plugs and a Tiley hat (which has a chin strap). Or, I just used a full face helmet.

• 1 year later...

jumping in a little late, as I'm on my "maiden" voyage and discovering how much fun it is to lose hats.

setup: windscreen + RHS tonneau

* do-rag is OK with half hood and/or half door and RHS tonneau cover.

* do-rag ejected hastily at 80-ish MPH with side curtain / no half hood, RHS tonneau

* ball cap is never OK > 50mph, no amount of snugness, any configuration.

* boonie / bucket hat is less OK, airflow seems to hit right about ear/cheek

I've been playing with a half-door.  I mocked up a minimal version (mid-arm height) using the outer snaps, it helps.  I also tried just folding down / using folded LHS tonneau cover, which helped more but was also more restrictive (shoulder height).

The hood SEEMS to make things worse, but it helps with the sun and I didn't lose the do-rag even after a couple hundred miles.  

With "reasonable" windiness -- defined as something as tight and secure as a do-rag will stay put -- I've only really found success using good sunglasses, do rag, and a gaiter for sun.   Half hood provides ample sun protection, but in the coming weeks I'll be checking out my aeroscreen / no hood.

I primarily run my car with the aero screen. I have worked in the motorcycle industry all my life so I wear my motorcycle helmet when driving my car. It has a communication system so when my girlfriend is with me she wears her helmet with her communication system as well. Also works great for hearing GPS from my phone and music if I want. I will always wear a helmet with it when running like this. One reason is I have bad eyes that don't produce tears so I can't have wind rushing past my eyes. Other reason is when riding a motorcycle, I've been hit by decent sized rocks travelling at 80 mph and I don't recommend it. Hitting me in the chest while wearing leather I can feel it. I imagine getting hit in the face when only wearing something like goggles is probably not super fun times.

• Thanks 1

I recently found some string loke products called "CAPSUR" that help for lower speeds.

I also have the WWI style leather flying helmet that I combine with goggles. If I wear a matching cloth facemask I can be The Stig's grandfather, grey beard and all.

oh man, I forgot about my bomber helmet.  From the 90s.  It was wool-lined tho, 100% winter, would not fly (pun) in this weather.  I ordered some "sun balaclavas" to add to my list of things to evaluate. 

A while back I bought a driver’s suit for track days (which is the only place my non-street legal Caterham is used). I was amazed at how much it calmed the driving experience (less buffeting, fewer noticeable pebble strikes, etc.).

Combined with a full face helmet and ear plugs,  it made the experience much less frentic and tactile. I find myself more able to focus on the track.

Of course, it can get a bit toasty in what is essentially a snow suit in the hot Caterham cockpit during summer months….

Adding a full windshield and 1/2 doors  creates a similarly quiet environment. But, by trapping so much cockpit heat, it’s still a pretty hot experience.

Edited by Kitcat

Sunglasses or clear safety glasses. 
ear plugs

birkin ball cap (Tied by a cord to the harness anchor)

wind wings help with buffeting

(full helmet makes long highway drives comfortable)

Edited by wemtd

7s are an absolute blast

for the first 15 minutes. 

But we love em and keep going back for more punishment.

One thing I noticed was how the (full screen) buffeting would abuse my scalp.  I felt like what hair I had left was being ripped out.  I resorted to welders bandannas 

20220519_112748.thumb.jpg.b05a024fe09be5dcc447855e27e6dcf4.jpg

They have sweat bands and a long tail offering some neck protection.   Not thin material so they offer wind deflection and they are good helmet liners too.

Ear protection, definitely. 

I had bought everything for an Autocom headset pair but didn't get around to installing it before my accident.  There are better wireless options now.

Having read about windshield breaking,  I don't know for sure what a Cat screen will do.  Will it crack and stay intact,  or shatter like tempered glass?  Either way, its better to have a plan for the event you need to punch out the remainder of a windscreen at speed.  Which means shards of glass in your face and eyes.

My plan for this is a helmet, of sorts, that checks all the boxes, but isn't a bulbous motorcycle bucket either.  More comfy than safe,  which makes no sense, but this car makes no sense.  A slim 3/4 open face with half shield (for spectacles), 60s retro before safety was a thing.  Currently Im thinking I may not find this for any motor sporting use as what I want couldn't possibly meet DOT.  Think water sports or skydiving like Cookie M3, but with a half shield. 

1 hour ago, IamScotticus said:

7s are an absolute blast

for the first 15 minutes. 

But we love em and keep going back for more punishment.. 

Try a full face helmet and earplugs. It calms things down dramatically.

• Like 1

Aero screen here - Safety glasses, hat and airpods pro for noise cancelling or sound

Seems to work even on the highway. Ear plugs or nothing at all if I get annoying with the ear plugs.

Over a decade of motorcycle riding same way. Safety glasses when visor is up and pretty much never ear plugs. Helmet was sufficient most of the time. 

Ear plugs/noise cancelling aren't always ideal as they rob a lot of senses while driving. It's a very drastic difference to go back and forth between the two and a complete attack on senses the minute you take them out. 

This may not work for all 7s, as I have full windscreen and wind wings, but I have found something called a "Cap-Surz" (Capsurz.com) that really works for retaining a ball cap.  Costs under $10 and secures to the hat band with metal clips, then an adjustable string goes under the chin in use.  When not in use, string goes over the bill.  Really holds the cap on, at least up to my speeds!

Edited by Taber10
correct information
  • Thanks 1

I have Brooklands so wear a helmet. The helmet also helps with the chilly mornings, especially when foggy on the GG bridge. I also find at highway speeds there's stuff coming off the road and the buffeting gets fairly annoying. I don't wear ear plugs but plan on adding them.. 

I love the *look* of the brooklands, but from what I've read it buffets more than the "aeroscreen".  Any direct experience between the two?  I have ~ 870 miles on my windscreen, fitting the aero tonight and intend to put about 100 miles on it tomorrow.  For science.

OK, I've been doing some semi-scientific research, specifically around noise.  Summary to date and today's update below.  Test platform is my 2021 S3, LHD, exhaust to the right.  I assume RHD + RHS exhaust would be different.  Also I *always* drive with a tonneau in place. 

1) helmet + earplugs are probably best.  earplugs are OSHA-rated, 33dB reduction is about as good as you'll get.  ANY earplugs will transmit direct pressure (like wind blowing on your ear), the helmet will stop that direct pressure and leave the sound pressure to the plugs.  With over 100k on motorcycles and another 20k in a different open cockpit car, I can safely say that full-face helmets are useful for noise suppression, and any 3/4 or half-helmet is of little or no use.  

2) after 33dB plugs, Isotunes (isotunes.com) remain the best.  They're an OSHA-rated earplug / 25dB reducing.  PASSIVE reduction, not active -- they're earplugs which can play music (at limited levels, because OSHA).  They work and are hearable at highway speeds with windscreen or aeroscreen.

3) Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro definitely, and any active sound-cancelling system probably, are not particularly effective against direct wind pressure.  They work awesome in a noisy-but-calm environment like an airplane, but in a windy car the noise cancelling doesn't really deal with wind.  Volume gets drowned out and wind comes through.  I've had the same experience with every active noise-cancelling system, but I can't directly speak to airpods.

* Windscreen w/o door might be the worst, close competition to this configuration + half hood.

* Windscreen + half hood is the worst combination of wind vortex, which conspire to blast wind directly into your left ear, and to a lesser extent the right.  Hats are not usable.

* Windscreen + side door is better; the incoming rush from the left rear wing is deflected a little (depending on the door).

* Aeroscreen is best for noise and windiness.  Hats + sunglasses are fine, but for me the wind comes in right about eye/forehead level, so I would always want good eye protection.   However the wind deflection doesn't overcome heavy rain.  At all.  

Oh also, if you want to TALK, get a throat mic.  Under $20 for wired @ Amazon.  I have exhaustively confirmed it works AMAZINGLY WELL at highway speeds, where the best mic-based systems tend to start failing around 25-35 mph. 

• Thanks 2

Those specific plugs come up in my ad feed, with all my various searching.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

What beanie exactly, or is there a term for which I could search?  I use a hat or do rag, and tuck a pretty big gaiter under it.  This gives a pretty thin layer over my ears, and doesn't do anything to moderate the wind.