New Seven in MA soon

chronoso

Hi all,

I just won an auction over on BaT to finally have a Seven of my own and figured I'd say hi.  Not sure if there's an official introduction thread I should be posting to instead..

Anyway, looking forward to bringing the little car to the greater Boston area real soon.  Not super looking forward to what registration and inspection will be like, but I'm sure it'll be an adventure.

-James

Hi James and welcome. 

Congrats on the win! Looked like you bid on a few in the past. 

There are a number of members in the greater Boston area if you look at the member map. I'm sure some can help you with registration and inspection consultation. 

2 hours ago, Vovchandr said:

Congrats on the win! Looked like you bid on a few in the past.

Yeah, there were definitely a few that went just over my budget.  Frankly was expecting the same to happen in this case but didn't!

-James

• 2 weeks later...

It's home!

Just got back from picking up the little guy.  For anyone who's wondering, a Seven fits perfectly on a UHaul 6x12 utility trailer (the one without the built-in ramp)

Some photos from along the way:

c2.thumb.jpg.14d5ce712b6bda84605deeb8e6d517d0.jpgc3.thumb.jpg.6bf66277418f1b6f4c5611fc0715f106.jpgc4.thumb.jpg.fabd7aa9b68e68903aed4f26d9b58019.jpg1.thumb.jpg.5f290dcf18bc6eed4909402b9ea55900.jpg2.thumb.jpg.1d27c280d4360b8079a190c501a0464d.jpgc9.thumb.jpg.edc1ea949409301d271b350a74bcc53c.jpg3.thumb.jpg.8f24ef030a89e5cec6bd62aad4497907.jpg4.thumb.jpg.33ae7acd3409884b73dad79917d3d13c.jpg

never has my Miata ever seemed so gigantic:

c12.thumb.jpg.5aad7d68e2a4a77111b9aa84880bde58.jpg

Next up, I've managed to get an appointment at the local RMV next Tuesday.  Fingers cross that titling and registering goes smoothly.

I cannot confirm nor deny that there was a quick late night run around the neighborhood, possibly making use of the plate from another small green roadster from the 90s.

Exciting times ahead!

C1.jpg

Edited by chronoso
Fixed sideways photos

Car looks great and it's always good to see another person who recognizes the virtue in owning both a Se7en and a Miata :)  Hope the registration goes as smoothly as your late night run.

BTW I fixed the sideways photos, but see the FAQ for the steps to avoid the issue in the future.

-John

And if you don't really need the NA with hardtop, I'll take it.  My wife (the smart one) told me I should not have sold my NA with hardtop when I got the Birkin.  She was right.  Congratulations.

5 hours ago, Anker said:

What town are you in? I am in Stow!

Billerica, but I'm in the Stow/Hudson/Acton/Sudbury area pretty frequently.  Maybe after next week, in a tiny but noisy little roadster.  Currently working up a list of to-do projects.  Thankfully most of them can be done sans-plate and sans new parts.

-James

Edited by chronoso

I'll be looking for you. Mine is currently out of action. I pulled the head last week and the valve seals I had bought were the wrong size. I am trying to find a source for them.

In full supplication before the bureaucracy, I offered myself upon the altar and was granted favor:

c6.jpg.66fa8fbf08090e6d0108a67ed09c2ca4.jpg

Next battle is at the inspection station.  If anyone knows of a friendly spot somewhere inside the 495 ring, I'd certainly be appreciative.

But first, time for an officially sanctioned tour around the neighborhood tonight!

The gas station at the junction of SR 117 and SR 62 in Stow is a great place. They love exotic cars and they inspect all of my cars. Mention the red and aluminum Caterham and my two Porsche Boxsters to them and say that I recommended them.

Anker

Thanks!  If the rain holds off, I'll be there Saturday morning.  If it rains, well...no need to have a negative first impression with the inspector by making him get into the car with the roof up and the doors on.

Congratulations.  Good post from Anker.  Friendly inspectors are a treasures which need to be shared.  We're having 8 consecutive days of rain here.  I hope you are luckier.  Besides, it really helps to present a very clean car to any inspector.

They need to lift one of the front wheels off the floor to check the steering linkage. Make sure they place the jack under the tow ring and not some other random place that can damage the frame. They will most likely ask you to drive the car into the bay and let you operate the switches that, if yours is like mine, are unlabeled.

Hi,

Congratulations on the car. Can you give a run down on registering in MA? It appears  things have changed for the better since I registered mine. Is it emission exempt?

Thanks