The Regular Summary of Classified Ads of Se7ens Found For Sale

Croc

I don't understand all the hate.  007 sticker on the rear, Jaguar leaping cat (or similar) hood ornament up front, in-dash stereo, not one, not two, not three but four side-view mirrors (gotta love safety feature redundancy), engine on display just like a real Ferrari. and joyous salute to the right angle in the body design.  There is a lot to like here...

-John

I mean this with the utmost of sincerity and by no means is it a “dig” at anyone here or on other forums where this has been discussed. If the seller actually went out in his garage and “built” this from tubing and hard work, then he’s miles ahead of most. It is a LoCost type vehicle that has obviously taken inspiration from our beloved 7 and good old American hotrodding in its most raw form. Most people “buy” a car and add their personal touches to it. How many have the ability, initiative and time to bring something, no matter what it is, to completion and driving it with pride. Most don’t, most buy a car. I’ve done both. I’ve seen some beautiful(in my eyes) rolling down the road that I know friends have built. I’ve seem many that aren’t to my taste, but I can still appreciate all of the hard work, effort and vision it to to take their creation to that point. 

Here’s the point that going to get me banned or bashed. How many of you just wrote a check for your car? Who built their cars from repurposed parts, lengths of tubing, hours of welding and on and on? Good for you, that the fruits of your careers have allowed you to write that kind of check, but to criticize someone else for what their vision produced is quite close minded and sad in a lot of ways. 

You can kick me out at this point for my view and I would be happy to go grab a beer with the seller and talk to him bout his car.

1 hour ago, w650gb500 said:

Here’s the point that going to get me banned or bashed. How many of you just wrote a check for your car? Who built their cars from repurposed parts, lengths of tubing, hours of welding and on and on? Good for you, that the fruits of your careers have allowed you to write that kind of check, but to criticize someone else for what their vision produced is quite close minded and sad in a lot of ways. 

You can kick me out at this point for my view and I would be happy to go grab a beer with the seller and talk to him bout his car.

Dan you are welcomed to your opinion and expressing it won't result in a ban.  I'm not sure how anyone who has been on this forum for any length of time could possibly think otherwise.  Your points about some of us not having the skill to create a car from raw materials is a fair point, but I also don't think any of the comments about this car were particularly closed minded or sad -- they were about design choices, not the seller's budget or skill set.  If anyone wants to discuss this further, please feel free to start a new thread or take it offline with the person who is the object of your disdain so we can keep this thread on topic.

Thanks,

John

9 hours ago, Bruce K said:

Ha!  But as I said, as a hot rod, there's some virtue in the enterprise.  Not enough rear tire, and wires are not compatible with torque, but should be quick, and certainly unique.  But as a sports car, FAIL!

Without any experience, I like the CSR layout in theory.  What is your experience with it?  I am thinking it was the inspiration for the Brunton Stalker XL, or perhaps the other way around.  But lots of arse and thigh room in your SV CSR, and more room for the 5 foot positions of the Caterham driving ballet, for which the tighter confines of my S3 cockpit makes me jealous.  I also believe your chassis can handle more power, and with inboard suspension, can provide higher top end due to improved aero.  All of that said, a driver can become truly one with the S3 in a completely unique way, much like a formula race car, so there are benefits to balance the space detriments.  Do you have the sequential shifter - I really wanted to buy a Cat with one of those, but none were available.

I love everything about my CSR, but have no seat time in an S3 to make a valid comparison. It s surprisingly comfortable on the road and much more capable on the track than I will ever be. It has the Caterham close ratio 6speed, so no overdrive. While the aero may be "improved" that is a pretty low bar. Still very noticeable front end lift at high speeds and about 130 you really begin to question your life choices. 

4 hours ago, JohnCh said:

Dan you are welcomed to your opinion and expressing it won't result in a ban.  I'm not sure how anyone who has been on this forum for any length of time could possibly think otherwise.  Your points about some of us not having the skill to create a car from raw materials is a fair point, but I also don't think any of the comments about this car were particularly closed minded or sad -- they were about design choices, not the seller's budget or skill set.  If anyone wants to discuss this further, please feel free to start a new thread or take it offline with the person who is the object of your disdain so we can keep this thread on topic.

Thanks,

John

Not sure what you mean, John - relative to the purposes of this thread, how can discussion centered on a custom Sevenesque vehicle, that is offered for sale, be off-topic? 

Dan, this in not Facebook or Twitter - the moderators will not suppress free, appropriate speech.  Also, John captured my opinion exactly - though the rod was well-executed, I directed criticisms toward "design choices, not the seller's budget or skill set".  Actually, the builder's skill set appears substantial.  However, this site is dedicated to extremely lightweight sports cars, and the subject vehicle is a middleweight hot-rod. 

Why do I suspect Croc started all this as a joke!

Edited by Bruce K

2 hours ago, lucky dawg said:

I love everything about my CSR, but have no seat time in an S3 to make a valid comparison. It s surprisingly comfortable on the road and much more capable on the track than I will ever be. It has the Caterham close ratio 6speed, so no overdrive. While the aero may be "improved" that is a pretty low bar. Still very noticeable front end lift at high speeds and about 130 you really begin to question your life choices. 

Lucky Dawg:  Have you considered adding a nosecone like mine, with the air-relief vent just over the radiator?  At speed, as the car divides the air, that area should be low-pressure, which would draw air from the engine compartment, and concomitantly from under the car.  An additional benefit will be improved engine cooling.  If you use a windshield, that area should be subject to even lower air pressure.

Edited by Bruce K

1 hour ago, Bruce K said:

Not sure what you mean, John - relative to the purposes of this thread, how can discussion centered on a custom Sevenesque vehicle, that is offered for sale, be off-topic? 

I'm referring to the portion of Dan's post that I quoted which was not about that car, but rather about people who made less than flattering comments about it.  That's a fine topic for discussion but can easily take this thread way off its intended purpose of identifying cars for sale.  

-John

1 hour ago, Bruce K said:

Lucky Dawg:  Have you considered adding a nosecone like mine, with the air-relief vent just over the radiator?  At speed, as the car divides the air, that area should be low-pressure, which would draw air from the engine compartment, and concomitantly from under the car.  An additional benefit will be improved engine cooling.  If you use a windshield, that area should be subject to even lower air pressure.

The radiator vent is standard on the CSR. Also small winglets on the lower front and redesigned front wings. All are supposed to increase down force. Not great but better than not having it.

DSC00905_edited-1.jpg

12 hours ago, panamericano said:

I think Croc was baiting us with that one.  Probably just waiting to see how rude the remarks would be. 

5 hours ago, Bruce K said:

Why do I suspect Croc started all this as a joke!

I am disappointed.  If you are going to make the comments then have the courage to stand behind them rather than point fingers elsewhere the moment you are challenged.    For the record I was traveling all day and have not been in front of the computer since 4am Eastern today.  

One thing this specific thread of for sale posts has personally taught me over the 10 years it has been running, is that there is huge diversity of owners and their cars.  

I recognize se7en ownership is a broad church - it attracts a lot of different people with very personal likes and dislikes.  Just because one person does not like something, another person most definitely will.   Personally, I think the replica subject to discussion looks a lot better than say a Diva 7 or a Dutton 7 but thats me.  I also respect the owner creating it has a lot more skill at building a car than I do.  

@w650gb500 - well said!  

2 hours ago, Croc said:

I am disappointed.  If you are going to make the comments then have the courage to stand behind them rather than point fingers elsewhere the moment you are challenged.    For the record I was traveling all day and have not been in front of the computer since 4am Eastern today.  

One thing this specific thread of for sale posts has personally taught me over the 10 years it has been running, is that there is huge diversity of owners and their cars.  

I recognize se7en ownership is a broad church - it attracts a lot of different people with very personal likes and dislikes.  Just because one person does not like something, another person most definitely will.   Personally, I think the replica subject to discussion looks a lot better than say a Diva 7 or a Dutton 7 but thats me.  I also respect the owner creating it has a lot more skill at building a car than I do.  

@w650gb500 - well said!  

Croc - I have not abandoned my comments.  In totality, I stand behind them.  I agreed from the outset that the builder was quite skilled (presuming he did the work himself).  And I, like John, believe that a diversity of opinion is both permitted and welcome on this site.  But that particular car was so far afield from our lightweight sportscar ethos, I truly did suspect you submitted it in jest.  if you were serious, so be it.

That was a hard charge, Croc.  I'm going to start calling you Saltie!

7 hours ago, lucky dawg said:

The radiator vent is standard on the CSR. Also small winglets on the lower front and redesigned front wings. All are supposed to increase down force. Not great but better than not having it.

DSC00905_edited-1.jpg

What a gorgeous Cat!  Tires look wider than my S3, too.  I just didn't want to wait two or more years . . .

20 minutes ago, Bruce K said:

What a gorgeous Cat!  Tires look wider than my S3, too.  I just didn't want to wait two or more years . . .

Thanks. We ordered it November of 2011 and the crates arrived at Beachman Racing mid-August of 2012. The paint is deep amethyst with champagne pearl stripes. Both 2000 Chrysler colors.

16 hours ago, Croc said:

@w650gb500 - well said!  

Serious comment: I'll bet it's fun to drive. Not Caterham/Lotus fun, but its own kind of fun. Kudos to the builder.

Joking comment: It's from the little-known Lotus Subtract Lightness program.

23 hours ago, BlueBDA said:

Serious comment: I'll bet it's fun to drive. Not Caterham/Lotus fun, but its own kind of fun. Kudos to the builder.

Joking comment: It's from the little-known Lotus Subtract Lightness program.

Exactly correct.  Hot rods are fun to drive - conspicuous conversation starters, great 0 to 30 and 0 to 60 - but they are straight-line and cruising cars, not sporters like any true Sevenesque vehicle.  I loved your joke:  Like the bests comic lines, it's based in truth.