-
Posts
9,187 -
Joined
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Store
Articles
Gallery
Events
Library
Everything posted by Croc
-
Its powder coated sheet steel so it is heavy. There is no way I am bending it without a power tool. It is plenty stable on NJ roads which are much worse than your billiard table smooth roads in CA! The alternative I use is a Manfrotto clamp with a ball head adapter which is really nice and stable but oh so heavy....
-
Hi Bruce Count me in. The only reason I may not be there is if it rains or Wil does not finish adding the new carbon fiber to my car by June 9 as he is servicing one of your many garage queens. Roman seems to want to make it. Boxologist was also keen to make it - maybe in the Meotter if the seven will not start. Other potentials - calling: - Sabbot - The Stig - Marine 7 - S1Steve - Pinballking - Redgoose - Yellowss - Crewst I also gave Al a heads up over the weekend - hope to see him. JvBtte is out of action due to recovery from medical op. Blubarisax may or may not make it depending on time it takes to mend the bionic seven
-
They are great little cameras. I have two of these little devils. Make sure you get at least a class 8 to 10 card. Have a look at http://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.com/ Their roll bar mount is the best I have seen anywhere - simple to use and stable. Their polarizing filter is a neat way to improve the colors which can look washed out in bright sunshine. Before After I also have been exploring the underwater section for my Thanksgiving holiday snorkeling trip looking at the flat lens kit and underwater filter. The mount designed for shark fins might be of particular use to Bruce to get great footage of Jaws snacking on one of his dive clients in Bonaire. All I am waiting for is the wifi unit to be released so I can start all cameras while sitting in my car . The last thing to think about is what editing software you want to use to produce the video. Despite what you may think, you will need to edit down the footage to the highlights. Go Pro has one you can download for free but it is not the best. Windows Movie Maker seems to work for some people but not me. I use Cyberlink PowerDirector. Give me a call if you have any other questions.
-
I supposedly have the same resdeigned filler neck in my seven. If it were redesigned then it must have been really bad before. I have to hold the nozzle upside down at a 75 degree angle and trickle it in to fill the tank. It is an interesting exercise to fill a tank in NJ where it is illegal to fill your own car with gas (you have to let some "trained" gas station attendant fill it).
-
Nice to hear from you Roman! How is your car going? Hope to see you again on the drive.
-
Newbie looking for info/local car to look at
Croc replied to Hettric's topic in General Sevens Discussion
Welcome to the Forum! I would offer my car but I am too far away. There are not many USA7s members up your way but 11Budlite is in CT and I think Wemtd is now southern NH I think. Aidanparte is in Sudbury MA. Members Beam, Warren W and CaterhamSVT are also in MA - just not sure where. I think Aidanparte would be your best bet - maybe PM him directly. You may also want to read this post on registering a seven in MA: http://www.usa7s.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5137 There is also Sevens & Elans in Ayer MA but there have been mixed experiences from members here with them. Hope one of these works for you. -
Se7en, Elan and a Simitar in a Bad Crash at Brands Hatch
Croc replied to scannon's topic in General Sevens Discussion
I think the Reliant Scimitar was a fiberglass body like the Elan. However, your point is still correct, it is still much bigger and heavier than the Elan (or the seven). -
Another NJ seven! yay! I definitely think you can use a seven as a touring car. I took my previous seven up to Maine via RI and Boston and came back to NYC through backroads in NH and VT before dropping down through CT. It did fine on the open road and was even better on a backroad. I even took it to Gettysburg for LOG. As another vouch for its credentials my former seven was driven from NYC to Alaska by its new owner with only two minor headlight and wiper switch fails (easily fixed). I think he has mentally recovered now from such extreme driving! I would like to see a Trumph try that journey without issues. For overnight trips in the seven I have one of the Soft Bits for Sevens RE bags which fits on top of the rear trunk area. I have no problems fitting everything in. Now if I had a high maintenance wife with me then I might have other issues (but luckily I do not). It has loops and straps to allow locking to the roll bar. Valuables come with me in a backpack - even if refueling. Roof still can be put on with an RE bag and you still have visibility out the back. The trunk area in an Caterham SV is nicely roomy. Not too bad in an Birkin/Caterham S3/Westfield chassis. Completely useless in a Caterham CSR because of the diff struts and extra chassis bracing. So the RE bag really does take all of my luggage in my CSR. If you keep the maintenance up then I believe a seven should be more reliable than a Triumph. Other things to consider - the Ford T-9 5 speed gearbox does have its faults (too low first gear) but the overdrive 5th is a wonderful thing to have when touring. - I would think about a zetec in an SV chassis as my old car never got too warm in the cockpit and the extra room in an SV is helpful when touring. A duratec seems to pump out a lot more heat for some reason. - in summer I like running my half hood to provide shade but still allow lots of ventilation and breezes underneath. I have also used it as a rain top on occaison. Definitely a good touring companion. Not sure where you are in NJ but why not come along to the June 10 drive in Milford NJ. http://www.usa7s.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7398 There will be a variety of sevens there to check out and try on (Bruce, Boxologist, Stig and myself seem to be confirmed with others yet to sort themselves out). Bring the Triumph as you will definitely be able to keep up with us since Bruce will be leading the drive. Alternatively someone may have a spare seat if you want to try a seven out that way. Lunch will be at the Ship Inn afterwards. We can also fill you in on the NJ registration fun that you are letting yourself in for. Alternatively if that date does not work or you are way south NJ then come along to the June 25/26 track days at NJMP where a few sevens will be present to check out. I will be there on June 24 as well with possibly a few others getting in some early practice. Dont worry none of us other than Kitcat drives more than 7/10ths on a circuit.
-
Having driven one of the Bookatrack sevens with a duratec I can confirm that they may have had a hard life but they lavish maintenance on these cars to keep them in tip top shape. Probably better maintained than half the cars with owners on this forum.
-
Looking good! You have the sound all sorted out now and the editing looks excellent. It looked like you had the track to yourself - it was empty. Have you identified which will be your home track in QLD when you make the move?
-
Hopefully you have sought blessing from the rain gods after our bad luck at our last two attempts. Here is to third time lucky!
-
I recommend Aleve over Advil! I plan to be at Thunderbolt the same weekend to get my four days straight track fix.
-
You can also call Danielle at NJMP on 856-327-7202 and she will oragnize reservations. I am registered for the event and will be staying at the track in one of the pit suites. I also have a garage reserved underneath which will take about 4 sevens.
-
I like the idea of justice being served. But the police are definitely not the best in the US - this is just an example why there are so many instances of poor judgment. And we will not go into the worst state DMV....
-
This would SUCK!!! (accident on first ever drive)
Croc replied to rnr's topic in General Sevens Discussion
Oh I feel that pain! You can just hear the anguish and desperation in his voice. Life is not fair at times. -
finding new roads...like nuggets of gold
Croc replied to twobone's topic in General Sevens Discussion
Did you take any photos of the doctor's buns? -
Michael - Impressive achievement to get that many sevens together. I am sorry I will not be in the country for this event but I am sure that you will have a few drinks for me in the evening Make sure someone gets some good video!
-
Hi Morgan - Try Roger Krause over on your side of the continent. They had some standard 15 inch wheel tires in stock (my fronts) so I got 2 CR500s from there. I am told they have the best stock in the US of anyone. I picked up the rears from ringing Avon Racing UK directly and letting rip in a few phone calls up and down the hierarchy. They have stock that they are rationing to make sure the various racing series have rubber. I was told by one Avon UK person the moulds for certain sizes of CR500 was broken recently and they have to remake a mould hence the supply issue. I was also told by another Avon UK person that CR500s will be phased out later this year for a new Avon replacement product. I am not sure I believe that but I do believe Avon are pretty piss poor in managing their business supply chain :bs: It is a real pity as I really do like the CR500 as a tire for the seven.
-
I would start with Karl's excellent video showing the track layout and the right lines http://usa7s.com/vb/showpost.php?p=56751&postcount=29 The second thing I recommend is that there are a LOT of walls at Watkins Glen and not a lot of run off area if you goof up So drive conservatively!
-
Thanks for posting the videos Michael! It is always good to see that I am not the only one who deals with irrational slower cars! What engine/transmission has Folis got in his car? It seemed to boogie along pretty quickly.
-
Hmmm.....I have video of you in the seven going through there at about 30mph. Same session that you stopped in the middle of the track to check out a flaggie waving at you. Poor quality driving must be a Porsche driver characteristic? How does the ego withstand being inferior to a Miata driver? :jester:
-
Jim - NJMP Drivers Club makes guests start in the Novice sessions which are designed for those gentlemen who have just bought the Ferrari/Porsche/Maserati/Viagra of their dreams to have a very safe way of getting out of track. It also covers the younger male who with a wallet bigger than his dick size/IQ needs the mature influence of a pace car to slow him down. So the format is one of stay behind the pace car and no passing. As the sessions go on throughout the day the pace car ups tempo and by the end of the day is doing pretty quick laps. It is a great idea for those who are brand new to tracking and concerned about their new automotive babe. If you have track experience you can submit a resume 1 week in advance and are precleared into a passing group. Unfortunately Cyberbug signed up on the day and was ineligible to get into the passing group. Despite being overqualified for this type of event Cyberbug demonstrated some excellent street smarts and rigged the game in his favor by tucking in tight behind the pace car. Pace car then thinks he needs to go faster and the two then take off and leave the other cars for dead. I saw them 1/4 of a track ahead of the other group at one point :rofl: Pace car driver is head of PCA instruction and is a superb driver to follow around NJMP. Has much better lines than Kitcat Porsche meltdown was epic - definitely caused some polarized opinions in the bar later than night!
-
I learned something in Drivers' ED today
Croc replied to blubarisax's topic in General Sevens Discussion
Oh how I wish that were true. I do recall a 160mph crash 20 years ago into a earth embankment and have the metal plates, rods, screws, scars and now arthritis to prove it. Karl - you picked tires to run into, much better than my choice! -
I learned something in Drivers' ED today
Croc replied to blubarisax's topic in General Sevens Discussion
Tom - I am flattered you think I am a good looking stud like Karl (Blubarisax) but I have to admit he had the off and not me.
