-
Posts
3,100 -
Joined
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Store
Articles
Gallery
Events
Library
Everything posted by yellowss7
-
Yes, but just make sure you get the one for the Wide track if you are going that way. They are not interchangeable between wide track and standard track. Tom
-
Who says you can't do both. Take a look at BBall's car on track. It's Blinding! Not Blinding fast, just blinding it so shiny. :jester: Enjoy that car on the street, on the track, or at a car show. It amazing how these cars attract attention. The only guys that don't seem to like them are the ones we pass on the track. :deadhorse: They just hate having a little four banger kit car making them give a point by or worse yet lapping them. :svengo: Oh, see how long it will take to wipe that silly grin off your face after your first drive. :smilielol5: Tom
-
Here you go. Bargain. :svengo: http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=149
-
Two Mettalic Orange S1s on track at the same time, Now that will be special!!!:driving: Did you convince Tim (CrewsT) to get one too? A metallic Yellow one on track too would be extra special, as you know that Yellow 7s are the best. :rofl: Tom
-
Coming off the rear dedion ear, you will see a drop link which connects to the anti sway bar which has several locating holes that allow you to vary the stiffness. Tom
-
Hey Steve, do I see a roll bar sticking up in that picture???:seeya:
-
Dallasdude is correct, I do have a rear bar and it is set to the firmest setting. Again, I've seen the Blatchat guys suggest that the rear bar can be disconnected for better handling. I guess the point is to drive it, then make a change to one component and drive it some more and see which you like. I think set up is probably dependent on how you drive. I noticed that Croc likes to slide his car around on skinny tires, :jester:, I like mine planted so that it carves the turns without sliding around. I think both work, Just depends on what you are comfortable with. IMO Tom
-
I don't recall the wide track as requiring the big brake kit. Unless you are racing your car, I doubt that you need the big brake upgrade. I track my car and can honestly say that Brakes aren't a big factor in making the car perform on track. Save the money. As for being stiffer with the thicker anti roll bar, yes, BUT, the question is stiffer better. Let me rephrase that, :rofl: Is stiffer suspension better on the track? I've seen comments that a bit of body roll is actually a good thing on our Sevens. I'll let the techie guys have at it, but consider How you use the car and how it feels to you before you start digging into your pockets. IMO I'd spend the money on a light set of wheels and some sticky slicks and maybe some driving instruction. just my two cents. Tom
-
Are your front discs vented or solid when looking at the edge? If vented, upgraded, if solid, standard. I have a 2000 with the standard springs and shocks and my widetrack came standard with the Green Bushed front anti roll bar which I believe is the 18mm one. I have heard other say to go with the red bush version which is 5/8ths. I guess it just depends on your handling preference. Tom
-
Whoever videoed that had a very shaky hand. I'd say it was done purposely to hide any edits. tom
-
CSR with non-Cossie Duratech
yellowss7 replied to JeffersonRaley's topic in General Sevens Discussion
Those numbers sound about right. I'm considering a switch out of my Rover K for a Duratec and looking at just the go fast parts alone, not including the base motor, you get up into the 5 figure area very quickly. I guess it's like the old saying "how fast do you want to go? how much money do you have?" It's just ashame that all the money goes into going faster on the straights, as any seven is quick in the turns. Tom -
CSR with non-Cossie Duratech
yellowss7 replied to JeffersonRaley's topic in General Sevens Discussion
Slightly off topic, but still regarding Duratec Dry sumps, I noticed that Raceline, and Cosworth both have internal dry sump pump options, with Raceline offering a 1 stage pump, and Cosworth offering a 2 or 3 stage pump. Obvioulsy there are cost differentials, but what's the thought on the 1,2 or 3 stage pump set up? Tom -
Still in the trailer last time I looked. If Mazda can get his act together and finish his BEC, then that will make it a "special" event. :leaving: Al, we promise to be nice to Bessie if you bring her. :seeya: So JBH, Jvbtte, Klasic69, Pete, Stig, SABBOT,Redgoose, Boxologist, and anyone else out there. Feel free to join us. Tom
-
Al, does that mean you will be there? I have heard from a couple other 7 owners who don't frequent this site and they are planning on attending. So as of today we are at 12 Se7ens planning to be there on track. With a few more that have yet to check in, I think 17 to 20 on track is possible. So if we can provide activities for those of you who don't want to put your car on track, Who's in?:driving: Tom
-
Pretty neat demos. Any idea of cost to treat parts? Tom
-
Great Jeff, Looking forward to some more follow and chase laps together.:jester: Tom
-
Mike, I'm sure that Bob the builder can over engineer the construction of your space and make sure that you have enough "pillars" to support the structure. So what if one of the "pillars" is made of brass and is of slightly smaller diameter, He can always put in 'Multiple one's to make sure it meets code. :jester::party: Don't for get the sound system!
-
That's six now, who's going to be Lucky number 7?:party: Mike, it's an NJMP drivers club event. Croc has pull. I think he got them to agree as part of his new GarageMahal deal. :jester: Tom
-
Great job of getting the Track's approval for a 7's run group Mike! Although I will miss torturing other marques.:smash: Hard to believe that this will be our 4th annual event. We started with 6 cars and had 11 last year. I think 15 to 20 cars this year is a real possibility. With Breakfast, lunch and beverages provide throughout the day this is a great deal. Don's BBQ party on the 4th is also a really nice event. The Karting event alone might be worth coming for. :rofl: Good thing they put bumpers all the way around these Karts. Did we mention that they can do 55 MPH??? We just have to give Kitcat and Stuart a weight penalty or they will run away from us. :driving: Time to put a Helmet on your Christmas wish list if you don't have one. So who is going to join in the fun this year?:auto: Tom
-
That doesn't quite sound the same as my neighbor's new one. I have a feeling that those weren't stock cams in that puppy. :jester: Tom
-
Hey Steve, :seeya: Have you got your engine back together? Is everything working properly now? Tom
-
PH Buying Guide for K-Series Caterhams
yellowss7 replied to scannon's topic in General Sevens Discussion
I assume that means I'll have to donate a lot of cash to become a member of the club, eh? :jester: Does Katie Holmes come with the deal too? -
PH Buying Guide for K-Series Caterhams
yellowss7 replied to scannon's topic in General Sevens Discussion
I changed the cam belt last winter. Looks like I may need a head gasket this winter. On the last trackday weekend in November, I noticed that my expansion tank was full, usually it remains half full. I bled the system, replaced the cap and it ran well for the 4 sessions the next day but again the tank was full. Checked in with Oilyhands on Blatchat the UK Rover K guru who thought that maybe the headgasket was breached at the fire ring. I watched the temp gauge closely for all my laps and the temp never rose past 80C which is the normal operating temp. At speed it was more like 65C. Again normal. So, Since I'm pulling the engine to replace the clutch anyway, I've ordered a new gasket set from Oily and he's provided me with the key areas to check to ensure it is correctly remedied. As for the 6000 mile refresh, that was for the R500 variant that originally had a 9200++ RPM redline. Those motors, used to that level, required the refresh. The later models were limited to 8600 rpm which provided greater longevity. Personally, I've limited myself to 6500 to 6800 rpm with 7000 rpm being my absolute max, which is extremely rare. Even with this possible head gasket issue, the car ran extremely well, pulling strongly up thru the gears to my self imposed limits. QED built a good motor, Forged Pistons and Rods. Dry sumped. Jenvey DTHTB's. I've Changed the oil after every 3 to 4 trackdays, So it's been babied. Also on this year's winter maintenance schedule are A new full roll Cage, Flexible rear brake lines, New uprated Front hubs and bearings, new rear hubs and bearings, New clutch, Brakes pads front and rear, New front Rotors if needed. New hoses and belts. And a general overall trackday prep. And if I can figure out a way to make them fit, some new front Race Clams to improve my aero profile. :ack: And the most important order is for 3 sets of new Slicks for the new trackday season. That's the real speed secret. :hurray: Tom -
PH Buying Guide for K-Series Caterhams
yellowss7 replied to scannon's topic in General Sevens Discussion
I have one of a very few Rover K series engine Caterham's in the States. When I ordered my kit back in December of 1999, it was in my reading the way to go, as the only other options when I ordered were the 1700 Ford Crossflow or the Vauxhaull boat anchor. The Zetec had not yet been used. ( I belive Michael D's Caterham was the test bed for the USA Zetec.) I had the engine specced to the Superlight R level of 190+ BHP and QED build my motor which dynode at 195bhp so I was very happy. In the months I waited for my Kit, Caterham came out with the 242 Hp R500 spec. I was already losing the HP war before I even got my kit. :willy_nilly: The benefit of the K series is it's light weight. The engine weighs less then 87KG which is about 191 pounds. Plus it likes to rev with a redline of 8000. Mated to the Caterham 6 speed it's a really well matched package. The lightness up front makes it seem to turn in quicker than the Zetec engine cars I've driven. It's still about 20 or more pounds lighter than the Duratec, but Croc won't let me Drive his Fat Bastard to compare. :jester: My car has been registered since 2001 and has done close to 75 or more trackdays and was autoxed for 8 years prior to that. While it's not as quick or fast as the big boys like Croc, Blubarisax, RedGoose, or Jeffs, with their Duratecs, with 70 to 100+ more horsepower, it is still able to hold it's own. I do lust after the big HP from those Duratecs though. :hurray: It's just ashame that to convert to one requires a significant cash outlay. :ack: Oh Well. Viva la K series!!! Tom -
Well he is 6 foot 8 and mean as a snake, but other than that we think he's a pretty nice guy. :rofl:
