Consolidated shipment from the UK

SK400

Greetings everyone,

I'm considering buying and importing a SLR roll cage from Caterham in Q1 2020 (yes, adding a few lbs to the car for safety sake. Can't be prudent enough driving with the bunch at NJMP). Shipment to the US for the cage is quite expensive given its size ..so i was wondering if it would make sense to consolidate a few orders among a few of us and organize a consolidated shipment from Caterham to the US (East Coast preferably). Let me know if some of you are interested in the idea and would like to participate. Unsure if the math will really work and if this could be way too complicated to pull off.. but worth asking. Thanks!

I think it's an honorable thought, but I don't think it will work out in the end, even if it does it would be a marginal difference.

I have an smallish order pending from Redline and I'm not too far from you but I'm not certain it would make any difference or whether it can even be combined with Chris from Redline if you're using CC.

However bump for you in case it works better for somebody else.

Rocky Mountain used to have Caterham add individually ordered items to the crates for the car delivery to save shipping costs for their customers. Basically, it meant shipping from the UK was free, then you would pay for shipping from Denver. Worked well when you weren't in a hurry to get the item.

Maybe something similar might be worked out with one of the dealers?

Steve

Steve:

Sevens and Elans used to do the same thing: add my order to "the container" that was coming to them from Caterham and then billing me for shipping cost from their shop to me.

Seb, define expensive. Does it make sense to order a custom cage built here to your spec?

As Mike noted, it may be cheaper to have your cage made here. Tom and Jeff got nice ones for their cars made locally in the Philly area. Custom paint treatments were included - you could have it in red!

I would not recommend air shipping like someone with an orange car once did....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Mike noted, it may be cheaper to have your cage made here. Tom and Jeff got nice ones for their cars made locally in the Philly area.

Second that option much cheaper and custom for possibly less than even the shipping cost.

Probably not in your area but Road & Race down here in florida can builds sanction cages

or check out this site

https://swracecars.com/product-category/roll-bars-roll-cages-street-bars/

Doesn't matter what color it gets painted, as I believe that on this car the regulations state that it would need to be covered with red fur.

As Mike noted, it may be cheaper to have your cage made here. Tom and Jeff got nice ones for their cars made locally in the Philly area. Custom paint treatments were included - you could have it in red!

I would not recommend air shipping like someone with an orange car once did....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and counsel. Honestly, I don’t know yet exactly “how much” it would cost to import the roll cage. Caterham has been reluctant to even quote me the transport cost .. but I’ve asked again, and hope to have a sense soon. One thing is for sure, it can’t be cheap.

as for finding alternatives in the US, I think it is a great idea. Do you know if “swracecars” has already fitted a caterham? I can call and do a bit of research but would be great to find someone who may have already fitted a cat. I also want to optimize on weight as much as possible so engineering “finesse” and use of lighter weight material if possible would be great. I ll circle back to the group after a bit of research

As for the color and texture .. now that’s probably what really keeps me up at night. Black? red? Or white? We can always add the fur afterwards. My very good and nice friends at the track will take care of this. That I’m sure of. They don’t miss a chance ...

Don't forget Dan Lipperini Jr , he did my cage and did an amazing job

Graham

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20387&p

www.RaceLabz.com

Attention! Even readers not looking for a cage must follow the locost link. Scroll down. The photo of the Mallock is worth the trip. Catching air on a real road is proof one is really in the Red Mist.