Tail lights

Does anyone know what tail lights were used on the early Sevens? I have looked at MG, Triumph, and Morris parts,but so far, no luck. My 62 Lotus 7 replica needs some back-end lighting.

I'm using bugeye lights on my Locost project.

The bugeye units are Lucas L549 for the tail lights, and L594 for indicators. Bugeyes use the L594 on the front also.

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/71

I think the L551 is correct for the indicators, but I think the L594 (bugeye) looks better. I might use something like the L551 for a high center brake light. "Correct" can be somewhat subjective on a 7, and especially on a replica.

Original tail lights had an angled plinth to fit the fender angle, depending on where you mount them on the fenders, you might get a way without it.

Not my car, but here's the look I'm going for:

Photos of Lotus 7 (Series 2) 1960–68 (800x600)

Edited by anduril3019

Last I heard David Painter was no longer making the replacement Wingard 1055, but you should try the email in the link @11Budlite posted. They occasionally come up on ebay and go for $250+ for a nice set

My S2 (and several other vintage race cars) had Lucas 549's until I changed them.  They do look similar to the Wingard 1055, but they don't exactly fit the curvature of the rear wing/fender. This is relatively minor though. If you do buy Wingards - make sure to use the right bulbs in them. Several people try to use what "fits" which causes them to melt.

IMG_8970.thumb.jpg.8a43e8051bd71d1837eabd7fde13a434.jpg

I did fit a Lucas 594 (not to be confused with 549) as a 3rd brake light on my car as the Wingards are not very bright. 

2 hours ago, TheDingo8MyBaby said:

I did fit a Lucas 594 (not to be confused with 549) as a 3rd brake light on my car as the Wingards are not very bright. 

Great minds must think a like.  I did the same on my 310S.  Love your Seven Geoff!

Rear 3-4 View.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here’s what I did with my taillights.  I removed the ugly rectangular trailer lights and replaced them with Wingard lights which provide running and brake lights and  mounted separate stock beehive lights for the turn signals.

7FF0AC6E-08AC-4ACB-B62A-FF539EC9BD52.jpeg

As an added measure of safety I added the LED bulbs to my tail lights.  The Thorpe PT675 lights are extremely difficult to find and would be ruined if the standard incandescent bulb overheated them.  Of course the benefits of the LED lighting are also a consideration.  I find the LED bulbs in the vintage assemblies to be a win win option.     Thanks,   Tim   

I, too, installed LED bulbs in the vintage Wingard tail lights and vintage beehive turn signals. The LEDs are cooler, thereby, minimizing damage to the assembly; take less energy; have a longer life span; and, very importantly, have greater visibility.  Indeed, a win-win proposition.