Back in the game! And a (probably stupid) question.

Just had the Caterham over cooling fix performed on my 620S and now I'm able to really enjoy the car.  Before the operating temperature was staying at about 50, which made me very cautious about any high revs.  Now it's running great and 30 minutes drives are like hitting the gym.  I love it.  Still getting used to RHD on tiny US back roads, and gauging my distance from the lunatics coming the other way just a little over the center line.  And still trying to figure where exactly to look when changing lanes and backing up.  Not being an owl, I can only twist my head so far. 

But anyway, here's my question:  How exactly do you described you Caterham to someone who asks "What is that?"  

My car is registered as a 1957 Lotus 7, but is isn't that.  And, it's not a Lotus 7 Replica, because it's a completely unique build that just looks a bit like a 7.  And, it's not really a bespoke, custom automobile, because it evolved from a specific brand and model.  

So why the heck is it?  ;-)  

Edited by Saudio

I like to keep it simple to avoid a long explanation, "Lotus 7", answers a lot of questions quickly with a name most people recognize.

Also, if they care to do the research, any search for Lotus 7 will lead them down the right path.

Edited by IamScotticus
  • Thanks 1

I prefer to tell them the truth, which is pretty straight forward: It's a Caterham.  Lotus made a car called the 7, then sold the rights to Caterham in the early 70's, who continue to produce it to this day.  

If they want to know more, you can add that they have evolved the car over the years to increase performance but have stayed true to the ethos of light weight.

-John

• Thanks 1

I tell people it's a continuation production of a 1957 Lotus 7, which was the 7th car owner of Lotus designed. It's still made to this day and mine is XXXX year. Rights were sold in 1973.

Edited by Vovchandr
  • Thanks 1

Lotus 7 :  Anyone who really knows will spot the difference and you can have a good chat. Trying to go into detail with everyone else will just cut into your driving time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It depends on the person I am talking with.  Blonde woman then "Its the sports version of the Rolls Royce Corniche."   Redneck then "Its a Ford special - its got the engine out of a Ford Ranger" (for my CSR anyway).  If a genuine motoring enthusiast then either @Vovchandr or @wemtd get my vote.   

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Vovchandr said:

...a 1957 Lotus 7, which was the 7th car owner of Lotus designed...

A level of accuracy unneeded for this discussion, but the nerd in me can't leave it unsaid... The Seven was the 13th car in the Lotus lineup.

• Like 2

It usually goes like this:

Q: What is is?

A: Lotus 7

Q: Is it fast?

A: No, but its quick.

Q: Is it expensive?

A: 20-50K average,  or less.  Do you have any wierd cars?

A: I had a Miata one time in the 90s.

A: They made these with Miata parts too.  Flyin Miata.

Q: Did you build this yourself?

A: Yes, partially

Q: Is it safe?

A: Safer than a motorcycle 

Edited by IamScotticus
  • Thanks 1

"Still getting used to RHD on tiny US back roads, and gauging my distance from the lunatics coming the other way just a little over the center line.  And still trying to figure where exactly to look when changing lanes and backing up.  Not being an owl, I can only twist my head so far."

(I dDrive a RHD Birkin.)

This is not the optimal way to go about it.  Do not worry about the edges.  Aim for the center.  Say we are blasting between two close obstacles (left and right).  If you look at one obstacle, you will hit it.  We go where we look.  Aim at the center of where you want to go.  With a little experience, your brain knows where your body center is compared to the car center.  The center of the car through the center space.  Always follow the middle path, Grasshopper. 

Also be sure side mirrors are adjusted to show "blind" areas, not the rear.  No blue sky in side mirrors.  The rear is taken care of by the central mirror.  Convex helps.

I'll contribute, 

Maintain visibility and awareness of how small you are.  If you cant see the other guys mirrors,  they can't see you.  Even so, inches matter.  

The worst place to lurk is anywhere next to a car.  You won't be in a drivers peripheral vision until you are a full car length in front.  Most drivers are zombies driving in a trance.  When I was driving my 7, I played a game where I would pull up along side someone and wait to see how long it took to notice me.  I often went unnoticed until I passed out front.

Likewise, your area of visibility in back is much farther because cars trunk lines are higher.  Figure you need 5 car lengths behind, or more.

My style in a 7 is to speed out of groups of cars to not get boxed in.  Falling behind works for some things, but in general, creating distance from others asap is staying safe.

People all have cameras now and want to share everything on instagram, including you.  They will run into you, or someone, trying to share your cute little car with all their friends. 

Just pass them quick, don't give them the time.  People steer toward what they are looking at.

If you've never been an aggressive driver before,  in a seven is time to learn. 

Edited by IamScotticus
  • Thanks 1

I had the opposite experience at a small gas station. Pulled under the canopy between the store and the pumps to refuel. A typical big suv had already parked halfway under the canopy diagonally so the nose of my car was directly behind it. I watched the soccer mom come out of the store, kid in tow, never looked toward the pumps or up from her phone and they boarded the land yacht.

I walked over to the driver's door and tapped on the window. She looks and freaks out, slamming the door lock down as quick as possible. I'm surprised she didn't scream. I asked her not to hit my car. I'm sure she would have otherwise. A similar situation happened to one of the first exocets a day or two after they put it on the road only it was hit.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, SENC said:

A level of accuracy unneeded for this discussion, but the nerd in me can't leave it unsaid... The Seven was the 13th car in the Lotus lineup.

"What's the quickest way to get the right answer on the internet? Post a known wrong answer and you will quickly be corrected" :classic_laugh:

That's two people that have amended my statement. While yet, it's incorrect, for the sake of a quick discussion with a stranger at the pump, this works far better than the pedantic minutia details of saying how it was the "13th design, but he kept number 7 open for it in his sometimes chronological naming convention of vehicles..."

Thanks for the correction however. As I've said to the other party, I've said this so often, I actually forgot what the reality was. 

• Like 2

Hijack alert:

The question of why the 7th mark was reserved for a later designation is a good one worthy of a new thread.

Perhaps the Austin 7 has something to do with it.

As you all know, the early trials cars Colin built that led to the Mk6, were Austin 7 based.

Perhaps the 7 was reserved for a successor to the 6, a trials influenced body of similar construction,  which describes the 7 well.  We can say the origin of the Lotus 7 is the Austin 7.

The mk7 was commissioned by the Clairmonte Brothers as a single seater. Since Lotus did not finish the car, the brothers did and called it the "Clairmonte Special".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, IamScotticus said:

It usually goes like this:

Q: What is is?

A: Lotus 7

Q: Is it fast?

A: No, but its quick.

Q: Is it expensive?

A: 20-50K average,  or less.  Do you have any wierd cars?

A: I had a Miata one time in the 90s.

A: They made these with Miata parts too.  Flyin Miata.

Q: Did you build this yourself?

A: Yes, partially

Q: Is it safe?

A: Safer than a motorcycle 

This is too accurate.

I usually say "it's a British race car" but the rest of the conversation generally follows the above.

• Like 1

Interesting topic. I've been telling people "It's a Caterham" (KAY-ter-hmm), to which they say "a what?", after which the topic either devolves or is dropped altogether. I always add "Super" to "7" if the discussion gets that far.

I may have to adopt the @Croc method, although my frequency of using the first of his replies will probably be, sadly, never. 

Edited by wdb

I call mine a Lotus 7 series 123. Mostly series 1 but engine like a later series 2 and wings from a series 3 plus all sorts of safety upgrades including flying a Union Jack from the rear of the roll cage in hopes that others will see it and nut turn into me. Driving RHD is not so difficult with such a narrow car. Major insult if someone asks if it is a dune buggy. yes, there are some very stupid people on the loose but most others enjoy a short history of 7s.

• Thanks 1