2023 USA7s HPDE at NJMP Lightning - CHANGED TO October 14 and 15

Croc

12 hours ago, Saudio said:

This date makes it theoretically possible for me to go.  I wonder what is involved with adding to my 4 point harness to meet regs?  Also, is there a novice group? I have some, but limited track experience. 

First thing is check your existing harness.  If it has no expiry date label then forget about adding the extra crotch strap.  The NJMP regs require SFI/FIA labels with expiry and the standard Caterham harnesses do not have those.  

So you want to order a 5 or 6 pointer harness in advance that you know will comply and fits the Caterham.  Sometimes TJ at TK Autosport has them on the shelf but not always so advance planning is needed.  Its a pain to change the harness over quickly as a few people will testify.   

The novice group is a great starting point.  They take it easy and add the speed on over the course of the day.  Given the level of power and the peakiness of the power delivery in a 620R, your thinking on starting gently is very sensible.  

3 hours ago, Croc said:

First thing is check your existing harness.  If it has no expiry date label then forget about adding the extra crotch strap.  The NJMP regs require SFI/FIA labels with expiry and the standard Caterham harnesses do not have those.  

So you want to order a 5 or 6 pointer harness in advance that you know will comply and fits the Caterham.  Sometimes TJ at TK Autosport has them on the shelf but not always so advance planning is needed.  Its a pain to change the harness over quickly as a few people will testify.   

The novice group is a great starting point.  They take it easy and add the speed on over the course of the day.  Given the level of power and the peakiness of the power delivery in a 620R, your thinking on starting gently is very sensible.  

Thank you for this.  Between needing to add the harness and the cost of track day insurance (which I would feel almost necessary given the cost of my car) I may have to think about this a bit more.  I also suspect my helmet is out of spec, it is well over 10 years old.  Add that to the fact that I would need to hire someone to cover me for a Sunday event my company is booked for.  The stars may not be aligned for this one.  

The general store on sight does carry rental helmets.   I’d seriously check the cost of an instructor vs the insurance cost.  The key is to stay within your comfort zone.  In the novice group there is no passing and they gradually increase the pace in the sessions thru the day.  You can just do one day if that works better for you.   If you can’t swing it, then just come for the day and hang out in the pits.  We might be able to figure out how to get you a ride on track.  

But you do know the 620 was made for the track right?  Plus it’s way safer that driving on the street. 

Edited by yellowss7

Thanks.  Would love to comes up, but with the oldest in college, and both playing sports, priorities have changed a bit in my household. Hopefully, back to NJMP in the near future. 

• 4 weeks later...

There is a 10% chance my car will not be fixed in time for the event. 

With that said, we might still go and make vacation out of it and likely tow the broken car down to see if the collective think tank will find time and accept the challenge of troubleshooting. 

Out of curiosity starting a roll call, any Pectel T2 cars are planning to attend? 

7 minutes ago, Vovchandr said:

... likely tow the broken car down to see if the collective think tank will find time and accept the challenge of troubleshooting. 

Out of curiosity starting a roll call, any Pectel T2 cars are planning to attend? 

Bonfire on Saturday night?  I'll bring the fuel, rope and match. 

The only possible Pectel car that I think may attend is @CarlB  Cannot remember what ECU is on his car.  

Rest will be a variety of MBE ECUs based on what I see right now.  Not sure what @wemtd has - Haltech from memory. 

Impressive memory Croc!

Yes I have a 2.0 Duratec with Haltech ecu & loom. My vote would be to chuck it and put in a Duratec, ITB(or whatever fits) and new ECU (whatever works:  Tom has been using Typhoon’s for a few years with few complaints).

During my last gremlin infection I seriously contemplated upgrading  ECU & Loom. For better or worse I was able to fix/re-wire the fault.
Somewhere there is a breakpoint beyond which we need to start fresh. (Which is why I keep a spare longblock in my shed).

p.

2 hours ago, wemtd said:

My vote would be to chuck it and put in a Duratec, ITB(or whatever fits) and new ECU (whatever works

So you recommend we chuck Vlad and replace him with whatever works? 

Seems harsh but his Caterham might like that.

1 hour ago, Croc said:

So you recommend we chuck Vlad and replace him with whatever works? 

Seems harsh but his Caterham might like that.

:classic_ohmy:

With that said I do have a Duratec sitting by, just not quite willing to commit to that yet 

Edited by Vovchandr

Yes I am using a Pectel and a Zetec. Happy to help if I can. Hopefully you can get your car together. I haven’t had problems with the engine or the ECU. Plenty of other issues, especially electrical. 

4 hours ago, CarlB said:

Yes I am using a Pectel and a Zetec. Happy to help if I can. Hopefully you can get your car together. I haven’t had problems with the engine or the ECU. Plenty of other issues, especially electrical. 

I got a second Pectel ECU and I don't think it's an issue as both have same symptoms now, (however second one hasn't been verified, for all I know both are bad) but it would really help troubleshoot and partition if I could compare and contrast with a "known good" . :classic_smile:

Edited by Vovchandr

I'm dumb and wrote in the 2022 thread. Engine is still in pieces and I'm harassing the shop on a daily basis to make progress. Hoping to at least drive down and run support for ya'll, not sure if I should be breaking a new head in on the track.