The Regular Summary of Classified Ads of Se7ens Found For Sale

Croc

What wemtd is referencing is that I gave him a ride in that car, and let him drive it, and he promptly went out and bought his own se7en kit (Birkin) and built it:).

LOG Gettysburg was where the idea for the Sevens event started. After being relegated to Siberia, both in the banquet room and at the car show, plus some unfortunate views expressed by two owners of original Lotus 7s, those with Birkins and Caterhams (no other marque was present) bonded quite well over many drinks and hatched the idea that we needed to have our own fun event without the heritage politics that came with some of the Lotus folks. I think it was Tom's idea for a track event with Mike quickly latching onto it. Al Navarro and myself were more thinking a road tour similar to 7-7-07. Jon (Boxologist) was more interested in an autocross and knocking back the drinks!

Kitcat did compete in the LOG Gettysburg autocross. In the first run he messed up something - got lost I think?

quVM0vl.jpg

Then Tom persuaded him that he should get a passenger to help the weight distribution. In true Mike fashion, he launched before the passenger (it was Jon - Boxologist - I think?) had his helmet done up. Jon literally finished strapping it as Kitcat crossed the finish line.

a11CVOv.jpg

Michael D was there with Scott Lentz and Norm borrowing his Caterham for the autocross. Yes that was a cone under the nose of the car that Michael has collected

lje4b5S.jpg

However, the fastest time of the day went to a four legged/two wheeled contraption

Vf4twPd.jpg

Good lordy, did she know how to use a whip!

That little blue crossflow now for sale in Alberta, Canada has seen a lot and travelled far. May the next owner continue its adventures.

Edited by Croc

Croc wrote about LOG 30 in Gettysburg "After being relegated to Siberia, both in the banquet room and at the car show, plus some unfortunate views expressed by two owners of original Lotus 7s,..." so it is clear to me that snub still stings.

I certainly cannot undo what caused you to feel that way though I want you to know that, as an owner of a Lotus 7 who was there at Gettysburg, I welcome all sevens even the lowly Robin Hood version as part of the tribe. I don't know whether it will make you feel better or not, but I felt the same disdain from the snobs about having my seven in the car show without having washed it. I naively thought that the "patina" of dirt and bugs it had was a badge of achievement for having driven eight days and 2,345 miles to the event.

In the grand scheme of automobile tribes, the Seven tribe is so small as to be a rounding error for the likes of the Porsche, Corvette or BMW folks, so it seems to me we need a very welcoming tent for whomever is of a like ethos.

Cheers.

Ross

Man, so many memories from LOG 30! First Norm, who was the head tech (and I think set up the auto-X course with help from Scott and Michae lD), failed me on inspection. My front A-arm was loose, thanks to a impossible to reach nut, on the inside of the frame. So I employed my lawyerly skills and convinced him that, since I had just driven 700 miles to the event, it must be ok. He gave me a massive eye-roll and then let me.

But I could not remember the course. So Boxologist jumped in and started barking instructions and pointing: "Turn left here, NOW, OK, slow up for that right-hander, NOW", etc. And I finished without DNF'g and actually has a fairly competitive time (top 5 or 10???). I'm pretty sure Norm won the whole thing.

I was in awe of Ross and his incredible Lotus 7 trip to the event. Too bad his inclusive view of se7ens did not prevail. We all were looked down upon. I had so many Lotus folks walk by and compliment my "Lotus 7", only to walk off in scorn when told it was a lowly Caterham....

But as Croc notes, it was the beginning of a beautiful friendship among all of us orphans and lead directly to the annual Se7ens gathering at NJMP-where everyone is disrespected equally:)! In other words, bring a sense of humor.

....so it is clear to me that snub still stings.

Hi Ross

Not stings. Its not like that. It was more that it made a bunch of us think "I'll show them" and put together our own event and have a marque inclusive participation consistent with the goals of the USA7s club. I can think of 5 members of this forum experiencing the same instinctive reaction at the same time as I did. We decided we should do our own thing and have fun our own way. So we did. From a little idea came a really great event that has lasted 10 years.

As for the two L7 owner-numpties that made the comment (it was not you - relax), I have since heard it direct from a bunch of people that my first hand experience of their snobbish views is not new and has been repeated time and time again. They are polishers and not drivers. So I fail those two individuals as exhibiting poor manners than blame the broader Lotus community.

I have had a number of great experiences within the Lotus Ltd network around NJ/PA and in Denver, when I was shaking down my current CSR with test drives (Thank you Skip!).

Besides, LOG Gettysburg is where I met you for the first time - outside the hotel. Consistent with what you wrote, you were mildly irritated about how people expected you to actually wash your car and make it look pretty for concours and no credit was given for actually driving from CO.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, that we are a small group and we need to be welcoming as possible to have a community that can thrive.

Cheers

mike

But as Croc notes, it was the beginning of a beautiful friendship among all of us orphans and lead directly to the annual Se7ens gathering at NJMP-where everyone is disrespected equally:)! In other words, bring a sense of humor.

Very well said. The jokes never stop when we are around.

LOG30 was the first time I got to meet many of you (already knew Mike and Tom) and enjoy the conversations on everything 7 related. I was really impressed how welcoming you all were, even to the point of letting me sit in a couple of different cars to see if I would fit. Of course with Maureen hanging with me I think you were all being nice to me but really engaging with her.........

Ross, no one was more impressed than me that you drove all the way from CO. Bugs and all!

The first experience I had with this group is why I show up at some of your annual track events and shoot some video. Cool group of guys who have the ultimate light weight sports cars.

Edited by Certified Lotus

Glen - were you at LOG30 too? I recall Maureen - tall, leggy, blonde - checking out the sevens, trying a few of their driving seats on for size. I seem to recall everyone was trying to get her pants into their car...or something like that. She had some guy with her too but I cannot recall him that well. :jester: I also seem to recall she liked my yellow SV the best. :p :seeya:

True story, I let Maureen sit in my Yellow S3 and since she is very tall and leggy, I told her that she should try the SV next to mine to compare. She asked if it was mine and I said no but the guy who owns it wouldn't mind. :drool: She gets in and I could see Croc across the lot trying to figure out this Blonde sitting in his car. Maureen BTW is a long time member of the NJMP drivers club and is a shit hot driver of a Lotus Extige. Her husband Steve, is a customer of Tom's having taken delivery of a new Birkin last year. We really did have a good time at that LOG, but only because we bonded as 7s owners.

...... We really did have a good time at that LOG, but only because we bonded as 7s owners.

I was also at LOG 30, and while the statement above is my real memory, I also felt that we Caterham owners were "looked down on" as second class citizens by the Lotus elite. I was really surprised when we returned to Birmingham and were put in the front row of the picture for LOG 30-Seven--even the Caterhams.

I've attended three LOGs, two here in Colorado and one in Las Vegas. The only sneer I got was from that old geezer from across the pond who was at the check in table, Gordon something or other. He couldn't see the class for the non Lotus 7s and dissed my car for not being a real Lotus 7 without even seeing it. After talking to Ross and using that magic name on the geezer I found there was a class for us he grudgingly checked me in.

Other than that everyone I talked to was friendly and if my Caterham happened to be close by complimented the car. At that time it was the only Caterham with a turbocharged Miata engine.

When I had my Miata with the Flyin' Miata LS3 engine conversion at car shows the red necked hot rod owners would walk by with a glance at the car and a sneer for me then two steps later it registered in their pea brains that there was a 'Merican V8 in there and they would turn around and stick their head under the hood and almost always said it looked like a factory installation.

Sometimes I get a real itch for another Caterham but soon reality sets in and I have to accept that I am getting too old and feeble to build and own a great car like that. Its been 3 - 4 years since I sold my Se7en but this forum is still the first thing I open in the morning after reading the email.

Skip, I'm glad you've stuck around, but I'd love to see you get back in a se7en.

I hate to say it, but a certain percent of the population consists of pretentious knuckleheads. They exist in the Porsche club (what? your engine is in front? and it's cooled by water?? you heathen!), the Lotus club as discussed above, and I've even dealt with a couple of Caterham owners over the years who fit that same profile. When discussing people who own other brands of se7ens, one of them once wrote that he recognized not everyone can afford a Caterham (sigh...) The good thing is this percentage seems much lower in se7en circles, and has been non existent here for years. Mazda had a clear vision for an inclusive community when he started this site. I'm pleased to say we've collectively done a very good job turning that vision into reality.

-John

Skip, I'm glad you've stuck around, but I'd love to see you get back in a se7en.

Me too!

I hate to say it, but a certain percent of the population consists of pretentious knuckleheads. They exist in the Porsche club

Its more than the Porsche club. BMW Club is the same. Snobbish until they found out I have a CSL racecar then they were trying to suck up and be nice. Then there is the F$%kwit Club...sorry Ferrari Club. It does not matter that my Fiat has a genuine Colombo V12 with genuine Pininfarina body, it is viewed as an undesirable because it is from the 70s and 80s. :banghead:

I like my Holden Club though - only two of us in the USA Chapter and the other guy is in Los Angeles! :cooldude:

I go where I am welcome and there are like-minded guys who don't get hung over on pretentious bullshit.

I've even dealt with a couple of Caterham owners over the years who fit that same profile. When discussing people who own other brands of se7ens, one of them once wrote that he recognized not everyone can afford a Caterham (sigh...)

My observation is that he has flounced off a number of car clubs or internet forums in short order because he pisses everyone off by his attitude and his unorthodox personal views. If he comes back a third time on USA7s then a reminder from me, you have the power of the almighty - ban him! :devil:

Mazda had a clear vision for an inclusive community when he started this site. I'm pleased to say we've collectively done a very good job turning that vision into reality.

We forget but this is so important. Each to their own style of individuality but create a broad welcoming umbrella for everyone. And no pompous gits - a well developed sense of humor is essential for good social interactions. No marque exclusive views. And ban all politics.

Edited by Croc

Croc: ban politics? So what are you going to do with all of the "Trump 2020 MAGA" stickers you were going to put on my car at the USA7s meet up in NJ this Oct:)?

And I assume Tom (Yellow SS7) gets an exemption, by virtue of his age, seniority, geniality, and basic incorrigibility:)?

I have been a member of PCA for 4 years and a member of the Northeast region board for 3 years. No snobbery here, which is surprising. You would think the 911 owners would look down on lowly Boxsters and 944s.

Thx Croc, great pix, great memories. One of my all-time fav se7en memories was at that LOG event, 10 years ago? I got propositioned in the parking lot the night before the LOG trackday event. A comely young woman insisted on helping me put the car cover on my seven. I said thx, I needed your help, and she said something like:"Honey, I am just what you need:)!" And she was not subtle. I again thanked her and walked into the motel and called my wife and said: "you wont believe what just happened:)!". Such is the power of the se7en! One of those unforgettable moments.

LOG Gettysburg was where the idea for the Sevens event started. After being relegated to Siberia, both in the banquet room and at the car show, plus some unfortunate views expressed by two owners of original Lotus 7s, those with Birkins and Caterhams (no other marque was present) bonded quite well over many drinks and hatched the idea that we needed to have our own fun event without the heritage politics that came with some of the Lotus folks. I think it was Tom's idea for a track event with Mike quickly latching onto it. Al Navarro and myself were more thinking a road tour similar to 7-7-07. Jon (Boxologist) was more interested in an autocross and knocking back the drinks!

Kitcat did compete in the LOG Gettysburg autocross. In the first run he messed up something - got lost I think?

However, the fastest time of the day went to a four legged/two wheeled contraption

Vf4twPd.jpg

Good lordy, did she know how to use a whip!

That little blue crossflow now for sale in Alberta, Canada has seen a lot and travelled far. May the next owner continue its adventures.

Mike ( @Kitcat ), is that gal in the buggy with the whip, is she the one that propositioned you? :D

All this talk of Lotus folks turning their noses up at the non-Lotus 7s.....you guys should try owning a Stalker....with a V8. It's the redheaded step child.

All this talk of Lotus folks turning their noses up at the non-Lotus 7s.....you guys should try owning a Stalker....with a V8. It's the redheaded step child.

Yeah but you are from Arkansas so you are used to it - everybody is a stepchild there.