Jump to content

yellowss7

Club Member
  • Posts

    3,100
  • Joined

Everything posted by yellowss7

  1. @Pokeyi believe my cage does have an FIA certification sticker. I’ll check when I get home next week. Tom
  2. The original owner of my Orange SV who was 6’8” had a custom cage built extra tall with double side impact bars. I think it was built by caged but it could have been Arch. Croc may remember which. Tom.
  3. WOW! Kitcat is back! The earth’s wobble is now fixed! We are back in balance. It’s now officially a party. Tom.
  4. Vlad, what does the head gasket look like? Any obvious breaches?
  5. https://youtu.be/wzX-eQGBfjE This is an oldie but goodie.
  6. https://caterhamparts.co.uk/hubs-and-bearings/620-wheel-bearing-kit-front-pre-2003-cars.html https://caterhamparts.co.uk/hubs-and-bearings/116-hub-front-aluminium-41-4-pcd-ford-pre-2003.html that is assuming prior owner did not do the upgrade which included a thicker stub axel as well as stronger hub and different bearings.
  7. I should note that my plaque does not say Seven America, like Jeff’s does.
  8. Vlad, mine is a true Superlight. Not an SLR. However my engine is a VHPD spec Rover K series which was what was in the SLRs in the UK versions
  9. Today we are 10 weeks away from our annual Se7ens gathering at NJMP. So you have less than 70 days to get your cars in shape if you plan on joining us this year. We once again have our own dedicated session for Sevens only. It’s a DE event so not a race. But there is passing allowed on the straights with a point by. For those of you that have not been on track before but would like to, you can run in the green group, behind a pacecar to learn the lines, braking points and your car. Classroom instruction is provided between sessions on track. It’s really a good social event with a chance to meet other seven owners and enjoy some good food, and share your experiences and stories and drive on track without having to worry about that 3100 pound corvette or porsche braking way sooner than you. Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Tom
  10. Only 79 days until this year’s gathering. Hopefully everyone is working to get their cars ready. Vlad’s going to have to stop piddling around and get to work if he’s going to make it this year. Croc is already working on the awards for this year, and you can be sure he’s going to have some unique ones. Hope to see a few of you that missed last year as well as a few new owners. Tom
  11. I run Hoosier bias ply slicks on my 2000 yellow car. The ten inch wide ones were THE auto cross tire in the R25B compound. When I switched to tracking the car I used the same tire and compound but did go with a slightly larger Circumference tire to give me a little higher top end. Look at my signature pic to get an idea. I can run the ten inch wide slicks as they fit easily under the clams. I run Michelin radial slicks on my Orange car, and there is a difference to me in feel as the bias ply slicks seem more progressive to me vs the radials. Then again the Michelin’s aren’t ten inch wide. Maybe nine at the rear.
  12. Vlad, it was painful to watch you go through the process and as much as I wanted to comment as I went through a somewhat similar learning experience. I held off commenting for the reason Croc stated. I had a pressurization issue that would only happen on track. Car ran fine but would puke thru the cap eventually durning an on track session. My engine is a duratec so not apples to apples and mine would idle lol Day and not get hot. But I tested at least twenty times with that coolant gas test and NEVER got a change in color. I replaced everything, water pump, radiator, thermostat, pulley bearings, and moved the coolant expansion tank to the highest possible point. I still would get. After all that. No change. I would notice after being out on track that if I winched my car backwards up the ramp of my trailer to get the expansion tank at the highest point that air bubbles would start rising into the tank and the coolant level would return to normal and I could run the next session and not have it over heat. I finally figured out that it had to be the head gasket after I ran successive sessions on track starting at 3000 rpm and not going over 3000 rpm for the whole session. Then bumping it up by 500 rpm in the next session. And so on. Results were that I got NO pressurization until I reached the 5500 rpm level. That clinched it for me that the gasket must not be able to hold at that pressure. it was a mental relief to finally admit I had the problem that I danced around for so long. I’m glad you have apparently reached that point now. Get R done and come on down to NJMP to give it a good test run. Tom
  13. Yep. Been there done that. Sat in the infield at NJMP for a whole 25 minute session as it happened on the first lap of the session. Croc was the guy with the shiteating grin, who came over an sorted it out. I had the switch moved from under the bonnet to under dash on the drivers side so I could get to it on track if it ever happened again.
  14. It was a Rover metro part I believe.
  15. I made it through his whole presentation after several attempts. Seems to have the facts to back up his conclusions. Makes a good case to follow the science eh. But most knuckleheads will continue to support “consensus”. Thanks for posting it. Tom
  16. yellowss7

    Eggsy

    I really hope you are just yanking our chains. You really do need to use tie down straps to secure it to the trailer. Basic physics apply even to lightweight Sevens. Tom
  17. I assembled my yellow car in 2000, and I have two sensors one for the gauge and one to the ECU. The fan is connected to a separate sender mounted in the radiator near the top. Don’t know how that compares to the more recent builds though. Tom
  18. I have the Caterham six speed in my yellow car. It’s a great match with my high revving RoverK series motor. The ratios are a great match and I love the long first gear which gets me to 60mph. The 1:1 sixth gear allows it to keep pulling down the straights. Nice short throws as well. Tom
  19. Croc is right on as usually. I woke up this morning thinking I had to amend my post to say that the Sadev sequential would not be good on the road. Especially so with the paddle shifter. Great on the track but it REALLY does not like to go slow. At lower paddock type speeds it feels like a bag of bolts shifting. Whereas at flat out full no lift throttle it’s as smooth as butter. Oh and the straight cut gear whine is constant. Then again you probably know all that from your formula Atlantics. Can’t wait to see you on track with it soon. I just got the word that my car is god to go after it’s preseason prep. I’ll pick it up tomorrow and be looking forward to the next warm dry track day. When will yours be shipped back? Tom
  20. Easy. Sadev and paddle shifter. Tom.
  21. The 420 spec is a great package. Plenty of power without the drama. Ours are just a little faster on the straights. No skill required to do that, only deep pockets.
  22. Sounds like a beast John. When Croc finishes CATkong that will make three of us in the 300+ club. Let’s go guys. It’s been lonely up here for so long. Tom.
  23. A Quick simple solution to your knee issue is to pull out the lower sear cushion and use a thin inch or so if very firm foam. That should help temporarily. Then you can make your own cushion to the height you need with some foam beads, some two part epoxy, and one of those vacuum space saver bags. Then cover it and you are set. Not factory like your nice looking seats but comfortable and you’ll be able to get your head and helmet under the roll bar if you ever put it on track. Congratulations and Enjoy Tom.
×
×
  • Create New...