So, tell us a little about yourselves

slngsht

Cheers everyone for the welcomes. Happy to be here in such august company.

Mike, nothing really special about the engine in Storker #27. It's a plain vanilla old Buick V6 motor, the naturally aspirated 200-ish hp GM 3800 series III variant. Mine started out life in a 2007 Buick Lacrosse. I think the LS and supercharged 3800 V6's are more popular and carry a substantial performance advantage over the NA V6 but I wanted to use something simple. I have given some idle thought to replacing it at some point with a four-banger of some sort. The transmission is the Brunton-recommended T5 out of a 2000 Camaro.

NJMP next year - well who knows? Will #27 be ready by then? Will I figure out how to get the completed car out the basement (a challenge yet to be addressed)? I enjoyed reading the threads here about NJMP - looked like an absolute blast and almost enough to convince me to put the car on the track, just to see what would happen. Also LOG36 was just over the river from where I live so hopefully there will be opportunities to get out and about with the car once it is standing on its own four wheels.

-Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I thought I would introduce myself. Names Tom, live over in the UK and just stumbled across your interesting forum.

I have owned my Dax Rush for over 10 years now and have constantly been 'tinkering' Currently has a 4.6 supercharged V8 with megasquirt fuel and spark

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww91/robotombo/20140503_155552_zps064888f1.jpg

Tom.

Hello All from the UK,

Recently came across your interesting forum and thought I would introduce myself.

Names Tom, I have a Dax Rush V8 which I started building back in 2001!. Started out as a 3.5 V8 on standard Rover injection with dizzy, then added megasquirt, then added coil packs, then supercharged it; currently 4.6 supercharged & intercooled V8 and Tremec T5 gearbox.

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww91/robotombo/20140503_155552_zps064888f1.jpg

Tom.

Hello all,

I thought I would introduce myself. Names Tom, live over in the UK and just stumbled across your interesting forum.

I have owned my Dax Rush for over 10 years now and have constantly been 'tinkering' Currently has a 4.6 supercharged V8 with megasquirt fuel and spark

Tom.

Tom, from one V8 7 owner to another, welcome to the forum. I'll cut to the chase; let's see some photos of the engine bay. :devil:

• 3 months later...
Howdy!

Just picked up Birkin (narrow)from Tom in Gypsum, CO. Already have front and rear suspension on and brakes dry fitted.

Duratec 2.5, ATPower throttle bodies, T9 tall first, Subaru 16 dif, Enki wheel, Toyo R888R tires, Racepak dash, Kirkey 41 seats.

Welcome aboard...and really do like that forum name!

Greetings!

Retired, Math teacher, garage mechanic, moped dealer, copier technician and computer engineer.

Lived in Key West for many years and owned a '64 Lotus 7 back in BC (before children) and had many fond memories of a much simpler existence and the joy of 7 ownership.

In 2000 I purchased a '67 Lotus Elan (from WireWheel) which I completely rebuilt over the next 10 years or so. It is a delightful driver and I was surprised how much it feels like a 7, or maybe that is just that "Lotus Feeling".

I retired a few years ago and after catching up on all the things I had been putting off, I found myself scanning the internet looking for an interesting project. Last summer I found a post on USA7 for a '62 Lotus 7 out in Texas and decided it sounded like a good prospect.

Since I had not driven out West for many years and my wife had never driven beyond New Orleans, I decided we would take the extra seats out of the van, drive out, and if it checked out, rent a trailer to bring back the car.

First night out of Jacksonville, we stopped in Lafayette, La and had dinner at Randol's seafood resturant and dance hall - Saturday night and Cajun music and dancing what a treat!

Sunday was overnight in San Antonio, Tx and the Riverwalk and Monday afternoon we arrived in Odessa to evaluate the car and size up the situation.

Surprisingly, this '62 7 was almost identical to the '64 I owned 40 years earlier: dark blue, Super 7 with 109E engine, wooden steering wheel...

We agreed on terms and started locating and loading the pieces. The car was completely apart and over the years the owner had accumulated spare parts and restoration pieces so there were many "baskets"!

Fortunately I had reserved a 12' enclosed U-Haul as it was College break and the students had taken all the available rentals! We finished loading the next day; the car and the spares completely filled the trailer and my van!

Couple days to drive back to Florida, then 2 days unloading and storing all the pieces in the garage and back porch.

The target is to have this back together for the Lotus meet (LOG) in May which will feature the 60th Anniv. of the 7, so it should be a very busy Spring!

Joe Petty

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=12287&stc=1

100_1064.jpg

Hi Joe,

My father has an elan and I have a seven and I agree they feel a lot a like. I suppose sharing the same basic steering rack, uprights and brakes helps.

Please keep us updated on the progress and share photos. I, for one, appreciate seeing more of the original Lotus sevens on this site.

You must've made considerable progress already? The picture doesn't show a car three months away from completion :-)! Since I lack any mechanical talent I'm unable to say for sure, but it appears to me that many members enjoy restoring and improving their se7ens as much as driving them. And somehow, I had overlooked that this year is the 60th anniversary of the Lotus seven. That means I have had continuous ownership of one Se7en variety or another for 10 (great) years.

• 2 months later...

I'm a British car enthusiast, lifetime motorhead and shadetree mechanic. I have liked Lotus Sevens since I first saw one, a long time ago, at Faspec British Parts, in Portland Oregon. I am here to learn more about these cars and the Lotus Seven community. This is my toe in the water as far as buying a Lotus Seven, I have books about them but I want to learn about them in the way only a car forum can teach me. What is the price range? Where do I start looking for one? What does the community think of replicas? And so on...

My current stable includes, a 1953 MGTD, 1969 MGB GT, 1976 Jaguar XJ 12 coupe, 1980 MGB and a 2010 MINI Cooper Clubman S. I also have a Ukrainian motorcycle with a sidecar. I'll be lurking most of the time, unless I can contribute anything.

Dave

Dave,

Your present stable shows clearly that your next vehicle should be a Seven, preferably of the Lotus or Caterham variety!

You might check out the Seven that is presently up for auction on the Bring a Trailer site (http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-caterham-super-7/) for some running commentary on Sevens and their foibles.

Dave, you picked the right day to come on board. I was just looking at the Portland Craigs List and what do I spy but a nice looking Westfield here local. I was thinking on taking a look myself, but I'm starting to build an arena for my wifes hobby.

I think replicas are the sincerest form of flattery, and even an original Lotus 7 is a lowly kit car, it's just the original.

You are welcome to contact me, I'm just over the creek in Gresham.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/6127575873.html

mike

Dave, are you looking for a vintage ride, or back road blaster that sticks to the lightweight ethos of the original Seven? If you want vintage, then look at an early Caterham, Pre-Lit Westfield, or Lotus. Big budget spread between the three, but they'll give you that experience. Move to more modern variants and the things do begin to change. Engines go from 2 valve to 4 valve, carbs and points to programmable engine management systems, options of roomier cockpits, IRS, alloy 4-pot calipers, and leather or carbon fiber seats. You can't go wrong with either style, but the driving experience is a little different.

As for replicas; if you are a purist, buy a Lotus. Semi-purist, Caterham or Birkin. Just want something fun that follows the Seven ethos, then things open up. Most of these cars aren't replicas per se, but rather interpretations of Chapman's concept. Some stray from that a little further than others, but they all have merit. The thing is to find the one that best meets your criteria.

-John