JohnCh Posted Friday at 10:20 PM Posted Friday at 10:20 PM 32 minutes ago, Scott_ said: Car pickup day for the Superlight R400 SV. Left from Raleigh for Virginia at 6:30am, back in Raleigh by noon. Dropped off trailer and then to DMV to stand in line for thirty minutes for title work and a 10 day tag. Back to the house with the tag and then drove an hour in the countryside. Scott Congratulations! At some point, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it compares to your old car given all the differences (chassis, engine, gearbox, wheel size, etc.)
Fabe Posted Saturday at 01:06 AM Posted Saturday at 01:06 AM On 9/10/2026 at 1:51 AM, Croc said: Very very wet… Hey, what cage is this ? Its the easy ingress track day but with the outside bar by the door for lateral impact
pethier Posted Saturday at 05:43 AM Posted Saturday at 05:43 AM 7 hours ago, Xhilr8n said: On 9/12/2026 at 11:11 PM, pethier said: It's not the entire car. Just something that will become a part of the CSR. Tillett B6 Seat Standard Width Edges off 40cm Carbon Fiber Bottom mounted Special Order Item
Scott_ Posted Saturday at 10:02 AM Posted Saturday at 10:02 AM (edited) 11 hours ago, JohnCh said: Congratulations! At some point, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it compares to your old car given all the differences (chassis, engine, gearbox, wheel size, etc.) Thanks. I'll start a new owner's thread but it's a completely different animal. The 1.8VVC in the 99 is a great engine in a very light car, Ford Type 9 five speed, was RHD, and was running on 13" wheels. The R400 has a Titan LSD, wide track, 6 speed, and probably 50-60 more HP with the 2.0l Duratec and Kent cams. The SV has 15" wheels I have to say right now I prefer the 13" staggered setup on the '99. The clutch on the '99 was progressive and had long throw, the R400 clutch in my car is more like an on/off switch and took some getting used to. The SV is noticeably bigger than the S3. The '99 had a lowered driver's floor. I had never sat in a SV. This one has lowered floors. I don't have the seat all the way back in this car. Seems like much more room for legs and feet and I can probably get away with not wearing driving shoes in the SV. The '99 had a four point harnesses and the R400 has five point harnesses. I bought a regular rollbar from a member here but will likely keep the cage on for now. (I may be doing a track day in October up at VIR.) The cage is not factory Caterham and was built off a track day rollbar by a race shop. I loved the look of my '99. I also really love the look of the livery on the Superlight R400. This has what they called the Lotus anniversary paint scheme on it and it matches the Caterham F1 livery from the 2012-2014 period. It also matches the R600 promotional photos. Scott Edited Saturday at 10:05 AM by Scott_ 6
Croc Posted Saturday at 10:14 AM Posted Saturday at 10:14 AM 9 hours ago, Fabe said: Hey, what cage is this ? Its the easy ingress track day but with the outside bar by the door for lateral impact Its the standard track day cage I purchased from Caterham 3 years ago. At that time this option was configured as the race roll cage with an easy entry option. 420 SV sized. Caterham seemed to tinker with the designs since then so that it is not offered on the website but I would be asking if they can do it as I know an acquaintance's UK car recently got the same cage 3 months ago. . 1
Fabe Posted Saturday at 01:50 PM Posted Saturday at 01:50 PM 3 hours ago, Croc said: Its the standard track day cage I purchased from Caterham 3 years ago. At that time this option was configured as the race roll cage with an easy entry option. 420 SV sized. Caterham seemed to tinker with the designs since then so that it is not offered on the website but I would be asking if they can do it as I know an acquaintance's UK car recently got the same cage 3 months ago. . TYSM. Good to know. I will ask caterham
m2711c Posted Saturday at 03:50 PM Posted Saturday at 03:50 PM All shined up for the the car show… 3 1
toldfield Posted Saturday at 04:04 PM Posted Saturday at 04:04 PM Me following Charlie to Helper, Utah, at LUG 2026. Only two Sevens among the 170 or so cars. Good times, great people. 4 1
Reiver Posted Saturday at 04:44 PM Posted Saturday at 04:44 PM 18 hours ago, Scott_ said: Car pickup day for the Superlight R400 SV. Left from Raleigh for Virginia at 6:30am, back in Raleigh by noon. Dropped off trailer and then to DMV to stand in line for thirty minutes for title work and a 10 day tag. Back to the house with the tag and then drove an hour in the countryside. Scott You are going to love it if it is dialed in just right.... I sold my 2L Vaux Cat for a R400 sl.... night and day dif... great platform 1
Fabe Posted Saturday at 05:52 PM Posted Saturday at 05:52 PM 7 hours ago, Croc said: It’s the standard track day cage I purchased from Caterham 3 years ago. At that time this option was configured as the race roll cage with an easy entry option. 420 SV sized. Caterham seemed to tinker with the designs since then so that it is not offered on the website but I would be asking if they can do it as I know an acquaintance's UK car recently got the same cage 3 months ago. . Does this/your cage allows to mount a windscreen ?
Croc Posted Saturday at 06:05 PM Posted Saturday at 06:05 PM 11 minutes ago, Fabe said: Does this/your cage allows to mount a windscreen ? Should do since it is a standard condition of Academy series that you run a full FIA cage with windscreen and side doors - your dealer should be able to get Caterham to confirm this. 1
Reiver Posted Sunday at 01:18 AM Posted Sunday at 01:18 AM With the 9inch high back window the turbulence (up to 70 mph) was really not an issue...ball cap not down and tight 5
Gabriel Posted Sunday at 05:43 PM Posted Sunday at 05:43 PM Have some beautiful warm days actually in Germany so still without doors 6 1
Selo Posted Sunday at 06:40 PM Posted Sunday at 06:40 PM 1. First place in local British car show! 2. Recent drive outside Albuquerque, NM 3. A Caterham buddy and I, preparing for a driveout 4 1
pethier Posted Monday at 03:37 AM Posted Monday at 03:37 AM On 9/26/2026 at 2:51 PM, toldfield said: After we arrived in Helper, UT. Photo credit: Phil Ethier
pethier Posted Monday at 03:57 AM Posted Monday at 03:57 AM On 9/26/2026 at 10:04 AM, toldfield said: Me following Charlie to Helper, Utah, at LUG 2026. Only two Sevens among the 170 or so cars. Good times, great people. A third one showed up at the Funkhana: 4
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now