Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
7 hours ago, IamScotticus said:

Note this box can be a moisture trap and rust the frame there.  Add a little vent hole on top.


 

um…..really?  
 

A pedal box is not a box.  It is open underneath to the footwell. So it ventilates  beautifully.  Adding a vent hole just creates a leak onto your foot or ankle in wet weather.  

Posted
1 minute ago, Croc said:

Adding a vent hole just creates a leak onto your foot or ankle in wet weather.

 

Hmm... Perhaps that's why his car developed rust in that area?  :918766748_biggrinjester(1):

Posted
41 minutes ago, JohnCh said:

 

Hmm... Perhaps that's why his car developed rust in that area?  :918766748_biggrinjester(1):


What his ankle or foot?  Developed rust?  Really?   I bet his rust came from a swamp in his garage.  Dehumidifier time!   

Posted (edited)

Yes, swamp. You can add hurricanes to the equation.

I doubt a small hole of 1/16" will annoy the tootsies too much. The hole can be a gap in the seal between the lid and housing. And who drives in the rain? Mike, with as much seat time as you have, You've probably had plenty of wet track days.  Also, the mid-90s were not great powder coated frames.

 :beatdeadhorse5:

Edited by IamScotticus
  • 2 months later...
Posted

I've finally gotten all the major mechanical stuff done.  Fair amount of head-scratching moments but no real problems.  I'll list some of the challenges, etc. at some point, but nothing that others haven't already written about in the various build blogs.  The only issue that might be unique to the Encore is the radiator hose routing, since the Encore uses a 420 radiator but has the Sigma engine's intake and outflow locations.  The hose to the bottom of the radiator runs right underneath the overflow bottle.  Without doing something to lift the hose, it would rest lightly on the steering arm U-joint.  I managed to lift it to rest just slightly clear of the U-joint using zip ties and a P clip, and I added some silicone tape around the hose to avoid rubbing if the hose sags.   The top radiator hose is squeezed tightly up against the top of the bottle, so there's not room to pop-rivet mount the bottle any higher.  I'd considered moving the overflow bottle to the RHS of the engine bay to free up clearance for the radiator hoses , but didn't like the idea of a plastic bottle with oil in it being that close to the headers.

 

 

 

 

IMG_3275s.jpeg

IMG_3265s.jpeg

IMG_3264s.jpeg

IMG_3164.jpeg

  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

A simple "vacuum assist" for coolant fill

 

When adding coolant, I was finding that the rate at which the system was filling was going REALLY slowly.  This was after having disconnected the top hose connected to the heater manifold piping and having remove the plug from the top RHS of the radiator.  I could track the fill progress by running a long zip tie into the radiator plug opening, in dip-stick mode.   I decided to try to speed things up by sucking air from the radiator plug opening using this large 200cc syringe.  It worked well.  (The syringe isn't as giant as it looks in this pic.  It's about 8" long.)

 

 

IMG_3277.jpeg

Edited by jmaz
typo
  • Like 1
Posted

Jim

 

Regarding the hose vs. steering u-joint, you could also rotate the steering rack slightly to lower the position of u-joint ... although this is a balancing act between keeping the steering column > u-joint > rack straight-ish vs. hose interference. 

 

Chris

Posted
1 hour ago, jmaz said:

A simple "vacuum assist" for coolant fill

 

When adding coolant, I was finding that the rate at which the system was filling…

Oooo, good tip on the syringe, I will have to remember that.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Unidentified Connectors at Rear of Transmission Tunnel

 

Can anyone confirm the purposes of these two spade connectors?  These were zip-tied to the frame at the rear of the transmission tunnel, near the brackets for the handbrake cable.  As was done in one of the build blogs, I decided to cut them loose before pop-riveting on the tunnel cover so that they'd be available for whatever.  The 2-place connector has a purple-and-red wire and a black wire.  That pairing corresponds to an optional connector labeled "Power Socket" in the main wiring harness diagram.  The other, single, connector has a red/white wire, which mightbe consistent with being a 12V+ line that's live when the parking lights are on.  However, with ignition on, I get no (multimeter-measured) voltage with the single-wire connector grounded to the frame, and connecting between the purple/red wire and the black wire results in a strange-to-me cycling between roughly 0, 3 and 6V.  

 
 

 

 

random_connectors.jpeg

Posted

3rd level brake light?  Does the voltage change when you step on the brake pedal ?   I believe I have a similar spare connector zip tied under there.  I assumed it was brake light but never tested it or use it. (I connected into the rear loom for my brake lights )

Posted

I'll test the brake-light possibility.  Chrisp993 had noted that there are also two unused spade connectors bundled in with the rear light wiring on the RHS inside the wheel well that can be used to operate a high-level brake light.  I had trouble finding these, since they were surrounded by the larger black connectors, all zip-tied in a cluster.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Those look like the connectors for the windshield wiper fluid bottle (and pump) that mounts in the boot.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...