Jump to content

yellowss7

Club Member
  • Posts

    3,100
  • Joined

Everything posted by yellowss7

  1. Gonna miss you on track Michael. Keep in touch. Tom
  2. Congrats! Hate too see a nice car like that leave the philly area, but hopefully you will give it the exercise it deserves. Enjoy it! Tom
  3. After spending two weeks plus with him, I could do without hearing from him for a while. :smilielol5: Thankfully, he's off on another one of his driving adventures, so we might be lucky and not hear from him for another week or two. The guy never works, it's just one vacation after another. :jester: Tom
  4. Hopefully, you will bring it out to play at one our upcoming member days. Tom
  5. Jerry, congrats on the sale, and condolences on your loss. I always loved your color choices, as I'm partial to yellow anyway. My wife keeps telling me I should sell the yellow one, but since it was the one I built and it is so easy to drive, I just can't bring myself to sell it. Two sevens in the garage just seems so nicely balanced anyway. :flag: Take Care. Tom
  6. We'll at least one is still there. The other is now home. My pockets weren't deep enough to stay more than one night, Plus I'm afraid of heights.:nopity:
  7. Sorry. I thought you were in Pa. Good Luck. Tom
  8. We'll if you pass the initial state Special constructed Vehicle inspection process and get your sticker, then next year you can just go to a regular inspection station and I suspect that by then those lights you have put on will have fallen off and you might just have to put the original caterham ones back on. Worked for me. :jester:
  9. Looking Great Shane. Get R done!!! :hurray: Tom
  10. A couple more
  11. Here are a few before and after pictures of the repair.
  12. Here are a few before and after pictures from the process.
  13. Thx Mike, I'll pay for the shipping if you are willing to send them. I'm planning on getting the car recornerweighted and set up to see if I can get it to handle more like my yellow car.
  14. I've been filling and sanding for the last few days. I reattached the inner flange which gave it back it's structural rigidity. I've filled all of the external cracks and have sanded them down and other than one more attempt to fill in a few low spots, which I'll do tonight, I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. After I fill the low spots I'll sand again and then sand with progressively finer grit down to 2000. After that I plan to hit it with a light coat of clear just to bring back a little gloss. I'll post some pictures once I finish it. Again, any other suggestions let me know. Tom
  15. F unny, I've been sanding away all last night and some this morning. It won't be show quality like Croc's wings which are real purty. But structurally it is coming along nicely. I ordered some 14 inch wide 1x1 carbon to match and the biggest exterior crack, while reinforced from the inside, looks ugly on the outside. I think I'm going to try to cover from the rear light position down to the bottom edge with a sheet of the wide stuff. Only downside is that the epoxy is really clear and shiny and the original wing is pretty dull. I guess I could just take some 1000 grit sandpaper and take the shine off so it somewhat matches. For the track it should be fine. I still need to make a set of the wider front wings and extend the wing stays like you did to be able to fit the big hoosiers on. Yeah it does suck getting older, but considering the alternative, eh not so much. Key is to keep having fun. We would love to see you again next year. Start making plans with your wife. Croc is talking about changing the date to get us on Thunderbolt. We have to wait and see what next year's member dates and track assignments are before we can say for sure. But I'm betting that we will get close to or exceed 30 cars next year. Hope to see you and your wife again. Tom
  16. Thanks Mike. I've done my yellow fiber glass ones before and figured this would be a similar process. I just made a couple paper templates of several patches for inside the flange to reinforce and repair some cracks. Using parchment paper to soak the piece of carbon fiber and press it into place. then brushed in more epoxy mixture to saturate. Initial small patches seem to be setting up nicely. Once these are done, then I'm going to work on the rest of the flange before I epoxy that back into place. Then I will work on the larger cracks and dings that the exterior of the wing incurred. It won't win any awards for it's shininess like Crocs wings. But it should hold up ok. When are you going to come back up to NJMP and run with us again? Tom
  17. Steve, I seem to recall that there was also a third piece, the handbrake cover. So where pray tell is currently being hung. :jester:
  18. Thanks for the tips. Keep em Coming! Tom
  19. Hi Shane, yeah, it's always the weakest link that breaks. Hopefully you are healing well and will eventually be pain free. If not you can always change careers and become a weather forecaster. :jester: Now get to work on the Storker and get it ready for next year at NJMP. We miss you. Tom
  20. Thanks Graham. I'll give that a try. The main body of the wing is pretty much in shape, the inner flange that attaches to the side skin of the car, is separated, but again, pretty much intact. I need to strengthen a section that is cracked and then reattach it to the main section, and then patch up a few areas that are more cosmetic. Unless I find some other damage, I'd say it was amazing that it came thru as well as it did. My fiberglass ones on the yellow car took a few hits autoxing years ago and they were in much worse shape, but came out pretty well after several hours of patching and sanding. My feeling, is it's nice to have a set for track or Autoxing and a spare set for shows or pictures. The Fiberglass ones are cheap enough. Carbon, eh not so much. Nylon bolts, washers and nuts are due in today, Not bad since I ordered them yesterday from McMaster Carr. Epoxy and carbon fiber are due to arrive next week. The Car is still at NJMP in Croc's garage, but I'm stopping over there tomorrow to pick up my SD card to see if I got any usable video of our sessions. I'll make a template of the bolt holes tomorrow, and make the jig over the weekend so I'll be ready once the epoxy arrives. I'll check in on your car when I'm over there. Tom
  21. I just ordered, bolts, nuts and washers. I'll send you some. They are M5x20 or 25.
  22. Well, after the little incident with the apex cone on track on Sunday at NJMP during the 7s gathering, I finally took a good hard look at the damage to the wing and the carbon light block. The carbon light block seems to have survived pretty much unscathed with the exception of a very enlarged hole where one of the screws and washer pulled thru. The rear lens was not found and from the twice twisted screw with a small piece of red plastic from the housing, I'd say it's safe to say that it was destroyed. Luckily I had a spare lens and rubber block unit that will work nicely as donors. I had to grind down the metal light backing to fit in the carbon block, but it fits now and all is good. I ordered a spare connector as the one on the light was ripped off. Hopefully my woeful electrical skills will allow me to attach the plug correctly for a good connection. The Wing itself actually was better than I expected after seeing it and hearing it come off. And after watching the video, it's hard to believe that it survived at all after all those laps, although I think someone did hit it at least one more time. The inner section that has the holes in it to attach to the side skin of the car, took the brunt of the damage. Luckily the prior owner Karl, had replaced the original steel bolts with Nylon ones so when the cone hit it, the nylon bolts broke and did not damage the side skin or the rivnuts. That inner section has pretty much separated from the main body of the wing. I've ordered a carbon repair kit of some carbon fabric and epoxy that I hope will allow me to reattach it. There are a couple of other cuts in the carbon on the wing that I think I can put back in place with some epoxy and I will reinforce one area that seems to have taken a good/bad hit. I'm treating this like a fiberglassing job. Any suggestions or advice on the repair process? I know that this won't be show quality but I don't show the car and it is a track focused machine. Tom
  23. Go to YouTube, Search for GlenElectronic, then look for East Coast Sevens at NJMP 2017 Great work Glen as usual. Love the music. :cheers: Tom
  24. Just watched Croc's video and I was thankful that after a few laps no one hit my fender. Then suddenly it moved into a worse line. So Fess UP. Who hit it??? :cuss: I just took it out of the truck. It is mostly in one piece, but needs some serious epoxy work to get it back together on the inside. It seems to have delaminated at the seems inside. I'll see what I can do to save it. Special thanks to Dan who was just behind me when I hit it for his quick reaction in avoiding it. :hurray: Tom
  25. I didn't take any pictures during the event as I seemed to always be walking over to the classroom for water. But I did take a couple pictures today at Croc's mini test day. First one is a sampling of Croc's fleet. Second is Kitcat, who went in for a third day as two just wasn't enough. Third is my arm after its contact with the cone that I hit then then hit me back and then ripped off my rear wing.
×
×
  • Create New...